Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Coolant Reservoir Overflow Line

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
The overflow line (closest to the cap) on my 96 Eldorado is missing from the coolant reservoir. I'm assuming its supposed to connect to something to keep the system pressurized, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it anywhere. If someone could take a picture for me or let me know where its supposed to go that would be awesome.

#3 ·
Yep - the overflow hose is just that - excess coolant is drained to the ground in the event of either an overfilled reservoir or an overheat condition (excessive system pressure). The cap itself serves two functions: The spring loaded inner seal plate allows system pressure to build normally to 16 or 18 psi, thus raising the boiling point of the coolant significantly, and system pressure also prevents water pump cavitation ("vapor lock", if you will); there's also a vacuum relief valve built into that inner pressure/spring plate - it allows outside air into the system upon cooldown past the last system cold start condition in order to prevent coolant hose collapse from excess vacuum being pulled in the system due to (cold status) temperature drop. The purge lne is a constant bleed from the cooling system highpoint to keep air bubbles out of the system, thus acting as more insurance against water pump cavitation.

..............at least your car has provision for a coolant overflow line; ours merely vents any excess coolant over the top of the reservoir.......

Proper coolant level, cold, is about halfway up in the reservoir. Never check/fill coolant when warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.