: Transmission Temperature - Normal Range

rbatt2
03-20-12, 01:07 PM
I recently had some transmission work done under warranty on my 2011 ESV Platinum AWD (truck has 4,000 miles on it). I have a question and was hoping somebody could share their experience. I know the transmission goes into "safe" mode when it gets too hot (I believe over 260 degress) and I did a search and saw something from 2007 indicating as long as it's not setting off a high temperature warning that it's OK. But what is the "normal" transmission temperature range? By normal I mean just one or two people in vehicle, 70 mph, flat highway. Thanks!

K9Caddy
03-20-12, 02:21 PM
Should never get that hot running 70 on the highway. You can however, reach high temps in stop and go traffic on hot days, and the best thing to do is keep it in neutral.

rbatt2
03-20-12, 07:59 PM
Thanks. I honestly don't know where mine maxes out under normal conditions because I haven't gone on any long trips yet so that's what got me to wondering what the normal operating range should be. My commute is about 30 minutes of freeway driving - very little stop and go - and the temperature gradually climbs the entire way. It is usually at 205 degrees when I get to my exit after 30 minutes around 70-75 mph. Once off freeway it starts slowly cooling but on highway it seems to continuously rise. Got me to wondering if that is normal or if I kept driving whether the temperature would keep climbing. How long does it take transmission to reach max normal operating temp and what is that temp usually under normal conditions?

CStradling24
03-20-12, 09:38 PM
My 2008 stays at 170 to 180 usually. Doesn't matter if I'm on the highway or city

Tec80
03-21-12, 12:05 AM
Dex VI fluid is synthetic, so higher temps don't break it down as much as older non-synth fluids. But 205 is too hot. You want to run at or below 160F for maximum life. Does yours have the front-mounted additional trans cooler? Wondering if they deleted it on later models....

Playdrv4me
03-21-12, 02:16 AM
Boy, 205 definitely sounds too high to me. I mean, that's pretty warm for some ENGINES, let alone a transmission.

cutterman
03-21-12, 06:27 AM
My 2008 stays at 170 to 180 usually. Doesn't matter if I'm on the highway or city

Same here. What kind of tranny work was done on your 2011?? Sounds fishy.
Is the fluid level OK?

hcvone
03-21-12, 07:11 AM
It's not uncommon to get up to 200 plus degrees for a short time, but most of the time when I check it's 140-170 range. I would keep an eye on it with just having service work done, and check the fluid level, I have read on GM truck forums about over filling which can be as bad as too little oil. And in some areas of the US it's getting hot for the first time this year too, that will cause temps to be higher

rbatt2
03-21-12, 07:45 AM
Does yours have the front-mounted additional trans cooler? Wondering if they deleted it on later models....

Yes, my 2011 has the transmission cooler.

----------

Same here. What kind of tranny work was done on your 2011?? Sounds fishy.
Is the fluid level OK?

This all started because the truck was shifting harshly and erratically so I brought it in and dealer tore transmission down and told me that the internal pump had failed and they "basically had to replace everything except the outside housing." Drives fine now but I started watching the trans temp when I got it back which is when I noticed the temperature climbing on the highway.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-21-12, 10:21 AM
Rbatt2, you may want to consider contacting your dealer to let them know about your new temperature range and to confirm the normal range for your ESV. I'm also on hand to assist wherever possible, so please feel free to send me a private message anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

rbatt2
03-21-12, 12:42 PM
Rbatt2, you may want to consider contacting your dealer to let them know about your new temperature range and to confirm the normal range for your ESV. I'm also on hand to assist wherever possible, so please feel free to send me a private message anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks, Katie. I will follow up with dealer and contact you if I need further assistance.

Tec80
03-22-12, 01:51 AM
"This all started because the truck was shifting harshly and erratically so I brought it in and dealer tore transmission down and told me that the internal pump had failed and they "basically had to replace everything except the outside housing." Drives fine now but I started watching the trans temp when I got it back which is when I noticed the temperature climbing on the highway."

Hopefully they replaced the radiator. There is no safe way to clean the radiator end tank trans cooler (which is one of the 2 trans coolers on this truck) after a transmission debris-producing failure, so it must be replaced. If not, the debris that is left in the end tank cooler will destroy the new transmission.

Was the temp this high before the first failure?

AWallerJr
03-24-12, 03:59 PM
My 07 manual says normally temp is between 160-180... Funny thing is I rarely ever see it over 150 so I would be questioning the dealership while its still on there dime

rbatt2
04-02-12, 07:40 AM
My 07 manual says normally temp is between 160-180... Funny thing is I rarely ever see it over 150 so I would be questioning the dealership while its still on there dime

Update: couldn't find anything in my owner's manual but I did notice that the the transmission dispstick is marked with a range of 160-200 degrees. I also spoke to dealer but they said since it was shifting OK and not throwing any codes or going into safe mode that I should not be concerned. I will continue to monitor closely as the weather gets warmer especially when I am towing.

2007XTSDub
04-02-12, 10:08 AM
Towing my boat I see the temp around 200 or so. That's on hot days and going up hills. It drops to mid 180's after.