: 2007 ESV - Front Differential ?

RavenCTS24
03-18-12, 03:25 PM
Getting ready to take trip to Florida and took vehicle into dealership to get (2) belts (serpentine) replaced along with oil change. I told dealer that I just started to hear a whining noise in front which sounded like tire rubbing wheel well. They said they put a device on front end to listen and said it appears to be front differential and or bearings.

Inorder to be sure they said they could take off and inspect for about $600-$700 and depending on that if it needed to be replaced would be around $3,500. OUCH!

In doing some searching I see some folks have replaced fluids as a starter. The odometer is 88,000 and vehicle in great shape, not sure if fluids have ever been replaced as we are 3rd owner.

Should I just have them replace the fluids before I go? I hate to have something major go wrong on our trip south. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

hcvone
03-18-12, 03:55 PM
The number one issue with the diff is owners not changing the gear oil, the diffs are small, but if the oil is kept clean and changed often the diffs will last for many years, large wheels and tires cut the life even shorter. $3500 dollars, find another dealership, ring, pinion and bearings with install and nowhere near that much money. I would first try a fresh fill on oil and see if that does anything, it may not, but sometimes it does if there is water in the diff.

Playdrv4me
03-19-12, 04:32 AM
God I love it when domestic luxury car dealerships try to charge Euro prices for the simplest repairs. I'm not even sure if a rear diff for my SL costs 3500.00!

Typically a differential rebuild should run no more than 1k and that's through a DEALER. My '03 Navigator had a bad rear diff when I bought it (whining) and even though it was under a temporary dealership warranty, they still printed up a repair ticket which totaled out to just about 950.00 or so. Unfortunately, by the time you hear grinding it's already probably too late, unless you somehow lost a LOT of fluid fast and the thing is making noise because it's bone dry. That's not usually the case and it's long term damage which has gotten things far enough out of spec that they get noisy. Whining, in general, indicates a little more time left than grinding sounds.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-19-12, 10:52 AM
Very sorry to hear you're experiencing this so close to your Florida trip, RavenCTS24! I would recommend having licensed technicians at a Cadillac dealership resolve the issue for you. However, as hcvone suggests, you may choose to take your ESV to another dealership for a second opinion on cost. I would be happy to assist if you'd like me to locate alternative dealers in your area; simply send me an email anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with your name and area code and I'd be happy to investigate.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

RavenCTS24
03-19-12, 03:10 PM
I am not very happy with my Cadillac dealer right now. After more research and speaking with a few folks, it was mentioned that this front differential issue should still be under the Power Train Warranty 5 yrs or 100,000k miles, which ever comes first. So called today and i have the Cadillac dealership check my VIN and yes, my warranty expired Jan 8, 2012. I had my vehicle into the dealership just two weeks later Jan 27, they made a recommendation on changing the fluids and they said we could do on next oil change. Which is why I was just at the dealership on Friday last week. I was not having any issues / noises of the front differential at that time, nor was I given an option to purchase extended warranty etc.

I called a local GM dealership about 15 min away and they have agreed to take a look at it tomorrow and diagnose the noise. So it sounds that I will now either replace the differential fluids (Front/back) or new front differential. IF it is the latter I am not going to be a happy camper with this bill. The local dealer said he would try to help me as much as possible if it was the latter. This is far greater than what the Cadillac dealer offered, I am done with my Cadillac dealer considering this is issue number 2 that I am dealing with them on.

Playdrv4me
03-19-12, 06:52 PM
You are correct, the 5/100 Powertrain would have covered this.

the blur
03-20-12, 03:17 AM
I had the front diff rebuilt on my 2003. Carrier bearings were worn out. Fairly common in 2003, not sure about 2007.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-20-12, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustrations, RavenCTS24. I hope you're able to come to a satisfactory resolution after your trip to the dealer today, and please keep us up to date on your situation. If there is anything you would like me to investigate on your behalf, send me a direct message anytime!

Best,

Katie

RavenCTS24
03-23-12, 02:45 PM
UPDATE:
So I decide to contact local Chevrolet dealer (10 min from house). They inform me they have an idea on what it is and will diagnose the problem. Service mgr calls me day later and says they took for test drive, put on hoist ran car upto 50mph while senior master tech listened. He informs me that they are almost 100% positive they have identified the cause of the rubbing/grinding noise.

Front Shocks and springs! Now I am really confused and tell manager that, he informs me that his master tech used to work at another dealership for 10 years and saw this a number of times before and this resolved the issue. When I asked him, he said his tech is very confident that replacing both Springs and Shocks will resolve the issue. It was also mentioned that I should replace all the differential fluids (Front Diff, Rear Diff and Transfer Case). This dealer when a step further and worked out some warranty / good will credit for me and saved me alot of money on the Springs and shocks job.

When i picked up the vehicle and drove it, the noise is completely gone and the steering feels tighter. :yup: Not only did I save money on the Shocks & Springs but also the Differential fluid change. He said that the front differential fluid when drained was cloudy and there were very little magnetic shavings on the drain plug, which I was pleased to hear.

I am very happy and relieved that this was resolved before my trip and the local Dealer Todd Wenzel Chevrolet has a long time customer. On the flip side, I am very disappointed in Harvey Cadillac and how they tried to sell me that the front differential needed to be repaired and the high cost associated with it.

Thought i would share the outcome and what was done to fix the noise. This forum is full of great info and advice - thank you!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-26-12, 03:44 PM
RavenCTS24, I am overjoyed that Todd Wenzel Chevrolet was able to resolve the issue for you! (And did so before your trip!) Thank you for sharing the details, and I'm glad you're sticking with your newfound dealer.

Katie

mommyof5
12-02-13, 07:30 PM
2007- I was just quoted an estimate of $3,000 for the from differential on the Escalade. Its a 2007 and I just had an oil change and a transmission flush. Now they are telling me something "fell out" causing the front differential to act improperly. This is ridiculous! Plus they want over $300 just to diagnose it!!! I am ready to throw in the towel..the maintenance on this car is absurd!

the blur
12-03-13, 01:38 AM
2007- I was just quoted an estimate of $3,000 for the from differential on the Escalade. Its a 2007 and I just had an oil change and a transmission flush. Now they are telling me something "fell out" causing the front differential to act improperly. This is ridiculous! Plus they want over $300 just to diagnose it!!! I am ready to throw in the towel..the maintenance on this car is absurd! I'll buy it, where is it located ?

neelfryer
12-03-13, 01:03 PM
2007- I was just quoted an estimate of $3,000 for the from differential on the Escalade. Its a 2007 and I just had an oil change and a transmission flush. Now they are telling me something "fell out" causing the front differential to act improperly. This is ridiculous! Plus they want over $300 just to diagnose it!!! I am ready to throw in the towel..the maintenance on this car is absurd!

i hate hearing this -- and the fact that this dealer seems to be running a similar "game" on your estimate that they did with Raven the earlier poster

my 2007 ESV has 106k miles on it and i hate taking it to the dealer because i just get in to the same conversations about "needing engine mounts" etc

i love my eskie -- but i really wish i felt more confident in the caddy dealers -- i'm willing to pay for good service but i am always feeling like i'm about to be sold a bill of goods i don't need

MrHolland
12-03-13, 01:48 PM
RavenCTS24, I am overjoyed that Todd Wenzel Chevrolet was able to resolve the issue for you! (And did so before your trip!) Thank you for sharing the details, and I'm glad you're sticking with your newfound dealer.

Katie
So how do you feel about Harvey Cadillac??