: Overtightened Balancer

Pjs
11-17-04, 11:21 PM
I'm getting ready to timesert my main bearing bolts, and while disassembling the engine I realized that I WAAAAAAAAAAY overtightened the harmonic balancer when I was assembling it last week. For some reason I was thinking the spokes on the balancer were @ 60 deg instead of 120. I tightened it for a total of 240 degrees. I don't think I did any serious damage but then again I could be wrong. The crank bolt screws in and out normally but I have no idea if I stretched it too far. I haven't gotten the front cover off yet to check the oil pump and drive spacer.
I'd really appreciate ANY input here as to whether y'all think I really messed up. I've had the bottom end of this engine apart 3 times now and really don't want to try for a 4th.

Rob Benham
11-17-04, 11:32 PM
Did you note the torque? Data from this site gave me 300 ft/lbs if I remember correctly

incidently how do you stop the crank from turning during the tightening? RB

BeelzeBob
11-18-04, 12:12 PM
I am astounded that you could turn the bolt that far if you thought the spokes were at 60 degrees. It must have taken 500 ft lbs or more....LOL

If it was seriously overtightened I would replace the bolt. Nothing else was likely hurt but the bolt is probably deformed and should be replaced.

Pjs
11-18-04, 03:35 PM
I should have paid better attention in math class...LOL