: How do you take out fine scratches?

qictrk
03-17-12, 05:15 PM
I have two cars and one with light fine scratches and one with heavier scratches. I have a buffer and am a do it yourselfer. I need some advice on what to use.
Can anyone recommend a product or products that will get the job done? The scratches haven't gone through the paint, so I know that it can be brought
back to new. Cecil.........................

4DR_ZR1
03-17-12, 05:48 PM
If you are using a random orbital polisher.... I've had really great sucess with these products: Griot's (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/machine+polish+collection.do?sortby=ourPicks)

qictrk
03-17-12, 06:26 PM
What color foam pad did you use. I have the orbital polisher and various color pads, but have never used their product. Sounds like the way to go, unless someone has
a different product to compare it to. Thanks, Cecil...........

4DR_ZR1
03-17-12, 10:38 PM
I use the orange for polishing & red for sealant/waxing

zinner
03-17-12, 10:54 PM
I used turtle wax scratch and swirl remover with a random orbital and a wool pad for light scratches. For heavy I use cutting compound and a rotary with a medium foam pad, but you need to be careful with that cause you can do some damage. Just let the machine to do the work, which mean no pressure and keep it level . That stuff can take the paint of down to metal/plastic pretty quickly with enough force.

MSOsr
03-17-12, 11:58 PM
Start with a lighter compound first (use the least abrasive compound that will work). With light scratches, I'd start with a white pad and Meguiar's M205. If the scratches don't come off, go to an orange or yellow pad. If still no luck, use the orange pad and M105. After removing the scratches, finish with M205 on a gray or white pad, followed by your last step product (Zaino Z-2, carnauba, etc.).

Mike

thebigjimsho
03-18-12, 04:43 AM
If you are using a random orbital polisher.... I've had really great sucess with these products: Griot's (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/machine+polish+collection.do?sortby=ourPicks)

As have I...

cruiser68
03-18-12, 01:00 PM
I use Menzerna Intense Polish and Finish Polish with a porter cable. I always try the least abrasive product and pad combination first as others have mentioned. No need to take more clear/paint of than necessary.

qictrk
03-18-12, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like they all work and I will give one of them a try. Thanks, Cecil..........

EX-amg
03-25-12, 09:16 PM
I would also suggest the menzerna "super intensive polish" ( yellow pad for heavy scratches and orange for spider webbing removal) follow up with "super finish" and top of with a good wax or sealer ( i have superior results with Wolfgang fuzion and blackfire sealer on top, makes the car look "wet")
Autogeek.net is a great place to find info and products on detailing
I used to do professional detailing , now it's an obsessive hobby of mine ( especially on my black diamond )
Good luck!!

Patent Guy
03-26-12, 02:01 AM
I am very happy with Adam's adamspolishes.com. All products I have used so far are excellent. They also have online videos that show you how to do everything. Detailing for Dummies, which I appreciate.

thebigjimsho
03-26-12, 01:50 PM
I am very happy with Adam's adamspolishes.com. All products I have used so far are excellent. They also have online videos that show you how to do everything. Detailing for Dummies, which I appreciate.That's what I always like about Griot's Garage. They have a detailing handbook as well as a DVD. Makes everything simple...