: Problems with EBC red stuff pads... anyone else?

Mearl
03-17-12, 12:43 PM
Recently put on EBC Red stuff pads all the way around on the V.

Had the rotors turned.

Now after roughly 800 miles I am getting a bad pulsing under braking, like the rotors are warped... usually at highway speeds

Has anyone else had problems with these pads?

Do I need to replace the rotors, or will they do this again....

darkman
03-17-12, 01:24 PM
Did you bed the pads?

Edit: According to the EBC website these pads take 1,000 miles to bed in. That 1,000 miles can probably be more or less depending on how to drive. You may want to simply drive them a little longer before you make any changes.

Larimer
03-17-12, 06:45 PM
Was also curious about the bedding. 1k miles seems ridiculous for bedding them though, it shouldn't take more than a few hard stops. I wonder why they're different.

darkman
03-17-12, 06:52 PM
They are "KevlarŪ fibre based brake compound enhanced with ceramic particles."

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/redstuff_brake_pads/redstuff_brake_pads.shtml

Larimer
03-18-12, 10:18 AM
Never bought them. I think I'll stick with Hawk pads.

martinV
03-18-12, 02:00 PM
Check all ur pads. I used a set on the front a couple of years ago and one of the drivers side pads fell apart. chunks of the pads just fell off when I removed it from the caliper. oh yea, I had less than 8k on the pads. Ive used ebc stuff on other cars and loved them but for some reason red stuff pads dont play nice with the V

mstrjon32
03-18-12, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't have cut the rotors. When you cut them you remove material (obviously), which reduces their ability to absorb and dissipate heat, and makes them more prone to warping. Especially with a high-end braking system like on our cars, and under the heavier usage they typically see, you're setting yourself up for vibrations.

AAIIIC
03-19-12, 11:12 AM
Did you bed the pads?

Edit: According to the EBC website these pads take 1,000 miles to bed in. That 1,000 miles can probably be more or less depending on how to drive. You may want to simply drive them a little longer before you make any changes.
1000mi seems somewhat ridiculous. But I tend to just do a generic bedding procedure, regardless of the pad brand.

I wouldn't have cut the rotors. When you cut them you remove material (obviously), which reduces their ability to absorb and dissipate heat, and makes them more prone to warping. Especially with a high-end braking system like on our cars, and under the heavier usage they typically see, you're setting yourself up for vibrations.
There's nothing particularly "high end" about our braking system. But I do agree that turning rotors is a waste. I haven't turned a set of rotors in about a dozen years, and that covers 3 cars doing track days, repeated pad swaps, rotor swaps, pad & rotor swaps, you name it. I scuff the rotors with a Scotch-brite Roloc disk on a drill and call it good; haven't had an issue with that method yet.

Mearl
03-19-12, 10:07 PM
How hard is "hard braking" for bedding them in???

I did the slow from 60mph to 20mph 5 times in a row as the directions said, but maybe I didn't brake aggressively enough....

I hate to think I just spent over $300 on pads and they dont work well on the V

darkman
03-19-12, 11:11 PM

I did the slow from 60mph to 20mph 5 times in a row as the directions said, but maybe I didn't brake aggressively enough....

You might try bedding them again. That pulsation you are getting can be caused by incomplete bedding which is supposed to cover the rotor surface evenly with brake pad material. An uneven distribution of brake pad material causes the pad to acheive more grip in certain areas - hence the pulsation.

In reality it is virtually impossible to "warp" a rotor. However, if the rotor has too much run out or too much variation in thickness the end result is effectively the same as a "warped" rotor. The maximum run out on these rotors is only 0.002 inch (assembled) and the maximum variation in thickness is only 0.001 inch. Unless the rotors are turned while on the car it can be difficult to get it right.

atdeneve
03-20-12, 02:11 PM

As if you're trying to engage ABS.