: GMX550 Lockpick sound quality issue...resolved?

quattrotman
03-17-12, 01:04 AM
I wanted to share this:

So the sound quality of my ipod music through my GMX550 was bugging the $hit out of me.:bonkers: It was tinny, distorted sounding and I couldn't figure out why. I tried all sorts of settings on the Bose head unit and tried different songs with different kbps. The best results were with 192kbps or more. I tried contacting Coastal about it and that was a lost cause. They kept telling me they have never heard of anyone complaining about it and directed me to the ebay seller who sold me the Lockpick to possibly get a new cable...how about you give me a new cable Coastal or is warranty something that is not part of your business model?
Anyways, it stuck me as strange that some people shared my sound issues but some people said their's sounded great. So I did a little research and came up with the sound check option on the ipod and in itunes.
I came across this:

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR OPTIMAL SOUND USING ITUNES
Music can be recorded at many levels and compression settings and then stored on your iPOD. To
insure proper sound and remove annoying audio level shifts or distortion, follow these simple
suggestions. Open iTUNES with your iPOD attached, Then Click EDIT, Click PREFERENCES,
Click PLAYBACK, uncheck CROSSFADE PLAYBACK, and finally Click SOUND CHECK.
This will create balanced playback for your listening enjoyment

You must also enable sound check on your ipod.

So I tried it, plugged it into my lockpick and BAM! What a difference!:bouncy: I can't believe how much better everything sounded. Some of the songs with low kbps like 128 or less still sounded a bit off but everything else was clean, crisp and no distortion. songs that I knew where distorted now sounded great. It really worked for me.
Then I plugged in my Nano (the ipod I use most in my car)...distortion? WTF??:hmm:
So I thought about it and realized that I had imported music for that Nano from a folder that was on another PC networked in my house. That was synced before the 'sound check' option was selected in itunes. So I transferred the music folder to the PC that had the itunes on it, selected the sound check option, and imported the music into itunes. As it imports you can see it working and checking the sound volume on each song it imports. Synced my Nano and went to test on the Lockpick. Presto > everything sounds great! :)
Make sense?

I hope this works for you others that may be having this frustrating problem with their lockpicks. I love mine again!

|

CStradling24
03-18-12, 01:48 AM
To add to this for those who search...

I did a little testing and to me when playing the same song, with the same mid volume with the lockpick it felt to me like the lockpick was trying to hard and it was actually louder than using my RSE RCA inputs, but because the lockpick was trying hard to make it loud it distorted it.

As an easier fix I messed with every single EQ item available. I found Treble Booster to provide perfect sound. Go into the setting on your iPod, go to music, EQ, then treble booster. When comparing songs at the same volume with the RSE RCA ports and the GMX550 they sounded almost identical. The bass seems reduced a little compared to not using an EQ with the lockpick, BUT (this get confusing) the sound including bass while using Treble Booster on the GMX550 sounded very close to not using an EQ with the RSE RCA ports. This is why I say I think the GMX550 is trying to hard.

I since have had all of my Apple products with the EQ on Treble Booster, and they sound perfect. Worth a try for anyone for an easy fix.

johnpg
03-18-12, 02:19 AM
I bought the GSM75 that im getting installed sometime this week. If I have any issues ill definitly remember this. Thanks man

quattrotman
03-18-12, 05:30 AM
To add to this for those who search...

I did a little testing and to me when playing the same song, with the same mid volume with the lockpick it felt to me like the lockpick was trying to hard and it was actually louder than using my RSE RCA inputs, but because the lockpick was trying hard to make it loud it distorted it.

As an easier fix I messed with every single EQ item available. I found Treble Booster to provide perfect sound. Go into the setting on your iPod, go to music, EQ, then treble booster. When comparing songs at the same volume with the RSE RCA ports and the GMX550 they sounded almost identical. The bass seems reduced a little compared to not using an EQ with the lockpick, BUT (this get confusing) the sound including bass while using Treble Booster on the GMX550 sounded very close to not using an EQ with the RSE RCA ports. This is why I say I think the GMX550 is trying to hard.

I since have had all of my Apple products with the EQ on Treble Booster, and they sound perfect. Worth a try for anyone for an easy fix.

This makes sense as well. I will try this also as some songs still sound a little 'off' but a huge improvement to what it was before.

tomm
03-20-12, 02:50 PM
This is good to hear. Does this help anyone else? Good find if it seems to help.

krieghoff
03-21-12, 08:09 AM
Quattrotman, Thanks for the great info!!!

My iPod alway sounded great with my GMX550 but the songs all had different volume. That took care of it!

quattrotman
03-21-12, 04:12 PM
Quattrotman, Thanks for the great info!!!

My iPod alway sounded great with my GMX550 but the songs all had different volume. That took care of it!

If I can help just one, my job is done :)