: A W E S O M E

PTC Sclade
11-17-04, 10:26 PM
Picked up Black Raven with Cashmere last night. Just came back tonight from its first little journey with another couple. I am in love again. The ride is awesome and so is the handling. Not yet punching it out since I do believe in breaking in the engines - always have and always will. After 500 miles then we can have some fun. Fit is perfect. Finish a little disappointing but it is due to what they are doing at the factory. Will try waxing it with real wax to see if it improves or it may make a quick trip to a custom body shop to have it rubbed out a little better. It has the 1SF package (luxury performance) and it first is a little intimidating with all the info. I think it will be manageable after reading the manuals for a couple of dozen times. Have not yet got into the voice recoginition - that is the least of the worries. Sound system is terrific, nav system as good or better the Lexus and MB's. Just has a larger learning curve than most automobiles. That is part of the fun I guess. Will keep you all posted if there are any problems or glitches. It is pure joy to drive. See you on the highways and byways.

Paul

Ormond
11-18-04, 12:06 PM
Congratulations on your new car! Enjoy it in good health. :bouncy:

megeebee
11-18-04, 01:58 PM
This is nice to read. I do, however, know what you mean by the factory finish. If I understand correctly, you're refering to the "orange peel" quality of the paint. If you look closely at other cars, including BMW and Mercedes, you'll notice the same effect. Lexus does, at least on its more expensive models, a process called color- sanding, which flattens the surface and minimizes orange peel. I believe it is the broad, flat surfaces of Cadillacs that are not good at hiding this. By contrast, these German makes sport much more complicated sheetmetal and this lumpy paint is hidden to an extent. This is a all due to the clear-coat paint process used, building up layer over layer of clear lacquer over the color painted panels. I hope that when Cadillac finally does field its upper range sedan later in the decade that this will be addressed.

PTC Sclade
11-19-04, 03:26 PM
Megebee:

Thanks for the comments. I am not so concerned about the orangepeel on the paint. With the black paint in the sun you can see tiny swirl type spider marks on all flat serfaces. I went back to the dealer and we walked the lot and every black, blue, and darker red had the same marks. Something they must do at the factory. Have not had time to try some pure carnuba wax to see if it improves. If not I have access to a terrific body shop that can do show quality type paint. They can also do a better job of rubbing out the top coat of the clearcoat. I think they may be able to bring the look up to a better quality. Other than that I love it more every time I get into it.

Paul

jworkmans
11-19-04, 04:01 PM
Paul,

My black STS has some swirls and a couple of minute scratches - like someone either leaned against it or sat something abrasive on it.

I'm gonna be applying some Zaino to it in the next few weeks (product is on order) because it's supposed to be good at getting rid of swirls & small scratch marks in dark paint jobs.

I hope this does the trick. I'm not very happy with the Meguiars I currently use on the wife's CTS and Zymol has been getting some louse feedback lately.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm all ears!

John

megeebee
11-19-04, 05:40 PM
Megebee:

Thanks for the comments. I am not so concerned about the orangepeel on the paint. With the black paint in the sun you can see tiny swirl type spider marks on all flat serfaces. I went back to the dealer and we walked the lot and every black, blue, and darker red had the same marks. Something they must do at the factory. Have not had time to try some pure carnuba wax to see if it improves. If not I have access to a terrific body shop that can do show quality type paint. They can also do a better job of rubbing out the top coat of the clearcoat. I think they may be able to bring the look up to a better quality. Other than that I love it more every time I get into it.

Paul

Ahhh, I understand now. I would ask the dealer to make it right for you.

PTC Sclade
11-19-04, 11:28 PM
John & Megebee:

John - I use a pure carnuba wax that is so easy to use it is sinful. Just spray it on and wipe it with an ultramicrofiber cloth until it disappears. No streaks, marks, or swirls. I get it from CAR Motorsports which is a sponser on this page. Works great on dark colors as well as all other colors. Have not yet had time to put it on the black STS but will when I get back from Florida in a week. It really is a great product. Only takes me hour and half to do the Escalade (white diamond) and will probably only take hour for the STS. Not much more time than hand washing them. In the Georgia climate the wax lasts longer than 6 months but maybe it is because I handwash the cars. It is so easy that I just do it about every 4 months or so and that really keeps things looking good.

Megebee - Talked to the dealer and their excuse is that all their dark colors look the same way. I really do think it is a factory problem because I saw it on CTS, Devilles, and other GM brands. I would rather trust the body shop I have access to if I need to go that route. I'll try the wax first and see what happens. Nice talking to you.

Paul

Jesda
11-20-04, 02:43 AM
Thanks to environmental regulations, automotive paint will never be what it was a decade ago.

majax
11-20-04, 02:53 AM
I am not exaclty sure what hte orange paint is? I have never seen it.

so are you saying that it looks like there are cracks in the clearcoat in circles :hmm: . My '93 is liek that but it is hardly noticeable.

Sorry about the paint glad you like the rest of it. :thumbsup: