: Does the '04 CTS V have Active Head Restraint (AHR)?

chunnel
03-16-12, 06:29 PM
I found a low mileage '04 CTS V, that I'm interested in buying. I checked the crash test ratings and everything was great until I came accross the IIHS Rear Crash Tests. This crash test was on a CTS with no lumbar support and it failed basically. This means in a low mph rear ender, I could snap my neck. Obviously a big problem. The tests for '08 and above show that the seats had AHR and they passed. My question is that since the '04 CTS has lumbar support, does any other part of the seat differ from the base seat that would make this safer than the non lumbar equipped crash tested seat?

Andringa
03-16-12, 10:27 PM
The headrest is just a normal manually adjusted headrest.

Koooop
03-17-12, 12:20 AM
You better not buy one.

mstrjon32
03-17-12, 06:04 AM
You won't get rear ended if you're driving it properly.

mberisha
03-17-12, 06:40 AM
^^^^yup....accelerate & veer left/right....problem solved....

Koooop
03-17-12, 08:55 AM
Do moar neck exercise.

Dan_Gurney
03-17-12, 11:57 AM
AHR did not be come mandatory until 2008 (and by mandatory, you had to have an active system, or force the headrest to always be canted forward and in contact with your head.) I must say though the 04-07 headrest is very nice, i like to have it actually touching my head a little, and i can adjust it beyond where i want it, so it should still be safer then a lot of older cars out there. If you look for a 08+ car in general without active headrest, be sure to drive it awhile, i know in most rental cars i have had lately, it makes my neck soar.

Safety can/should be a concern for daily driving I took a GTO off my short list due to a lack of side airbags (although to counter myself, i drive my 91 wrangler with no airbags, abs, lifted... sway bars removed...... more then the caddy lately...)

repenttokyo
03-17-12, 03:19 PM
You better not buy one.

loool I concur!

chunnel
03-17-12, 07:50 PM
AHR did not be come mandatory until 2008 (and by mandatory, you had to have an active system, or force the headrest to always be canted forward and in contact with your head.) I must say though the 04-07 headrest is very nice, i like to have it actually touching my head a little, and i can adjust it beyond where i want it, so it should still be safer then a lot of older cars out there. If you look for a 08+ car in general without active headrest, be sure to drive it awhile, i know in most rental cars i have had lately, it makes my neck soar.

Safety can/should be a concern for daily driving I took a GTO off my short list due to a lack of side airbags (although to counter myself, i drive my 91 wrangler with no airbags, abs, lifted... sway bars removed...... more then the caddy lately...)

Thank you, that was helpful information.

Larimer
03-18-12, 09:22 AM
This means in a low mph rear ender, I could snap my neck. Obviously a big problem.

Odd, I've never heard of this happening in any car. It's obviously your call but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a car.

50 4Ever
03-19-12, 07:54 PM
In my 05 CTS-V i was stopped in traffic and a lady in a Chrysler minivan hit me going about 40 MPH. Knocked my glasses off but that was it. I was not injured at all but she was hurt and so were the kids. This is a real world crash test and the CTS-V passed with flying colors...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/05 CTS-V/080309072.jpg

Koooop
03-19-12, 08:16 PM
In my 05 CTS-V i was stopped in traffic and a lady in a Chrysler minivan hit me going about 40 MPH. Knocked my glasses off but that was it. I was not injured at all but she was hurt and so were the kids. This is a real world crash test and the CTS-V passed with flying colors...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/05 CTS-V/080309072.jpg

Amazing you can type with that snapped neck!

At least my wife was honest, she wanted the active head rest "Option" in her new car as she didn't like the fixed head rest messing up her hair.