: Advice on bad paint?

48548m
03-16-12, 07:24 PM
I had my door repainted after I got my new ext 11 ext in sept because of chips under the right rear molding... Well this just happened after they repainted it?

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/48548/IMAG0099.jpg

They stood behind it and painted it again and the drivers rear because the other dealer scratched the paint when the replaced the molding... Now look at the bad orange peel and scratches in the paint...

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/48548/car/IMG_3413.jpg

Also where my hand is the whole door is covered in fine scratches...

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/48548/car/IMG_3410.jpg

So I took it back and they spent 2 day color sanding it and call me back and tell me the other side chipped again like above... I bought this ext new in sept. It now has 3400 miles on it... This is sad I have been with out a ride for almost a month and will the paint chip again? What are my options, I at the point I want to trade it in... This is the 3rd time they have painted the right rear door, I mean really? For a vehicle of this price, I am never buying another GM product again.... I bet it will chip again because nothing is even touching it and it chips... I am at a loss.... I am also out about a 1/2 tank of gas because the painting dealer is not close to this one, and they send it to the sister shop in south scottsdale...

luxurylife33
03-16-12, 08:05 PM
Wow that sucks man. I used to paint for a BMW body shop in NY. The orange peel is just from the way the clear was sprayed. Most likely not enough clear in this areas, or the air pressure in the gun wasn't atomizing the paint right. The fine scratches you see is from the wet sanding they did. They just have to hit it a little harder with the buffer. We would finish sand with 2000g paper, they may have used 1500 or 1200. The chips are from shitty prep work. Either the panel wasn't scuffed correctly or they did a poor priming job. Is this a Cadillac dealership body shop?

----------

I just noticed the chip is from putting the molding back on. Honestly when the paint is soft, it will def chip like that. They should have waited a little longer for the paint to harden up. The prep work could have been perfect, this kinda stuff just happens when you rush it.

48548m
03-16-12, 08:06 PM
Wow that sucks man. I used to paint for a BMW body shop in NY. The orange peel is just from the way the clear was sprayed. Most likely not enough clear in this areas, or the air pressure in the gun wasn't atomizing the paint right. The fine scratches you see is from the wet sanding they did. They just have to hit it a little harder with the buffer. We would finish sand with 2000g paper, they may have used 1500 or 1200. The chips are from shitty prep work. Either the panel wasn't scuffed correctly or they did a poor priming job. Is this a Cadillac dealership body shop?

Yes a Cadillac body shop.... I am tired of everything taking multiple times to fix anything on this vehicle....

48548m
03-16-12, 10:53 PM
The first chip happened months after the repaint.

Playdrv4me
03-17-12, 03:53 AM
Christ. They repainted the ENTIRE door on your brand new truck because of some paint chips on the original factory finish? I would rather have lived with the chips, or filled them in with touchup paint, than had a door repainted. This always has a potential impact on value because every dealer then assumes you're trying to hide an accident, or that the non factory paint won't hold up well, and they don't want the extra trouble of having to explain that to THEIR customer. That said, they have stood behind the car and tried to make it right for you so what I would do is simply tell them that you're tired of this two step back and forth and that you want to take the car to another body shop of your *OWN* choosing that handles high end cars. (You're going to have to look for this, as it is NOT always the prettiest biggest body shop that does the best quality work). I can't imagine that they will be against this as the problem keeps re-occuring with their body shop.

Don't trade the truck in, you are going to take a bath on a trade for something that you barely got to drive. I know it sucks but the paintwork has already been done, now you just have to do your best to get it fixed permanently, or as permanently as possible.

luxurylife33
03-17-12, 11:37 AM
Whats about asking the dealer to swap a door off another truck they're trying to sell? Let them put that door on their own truck... black is black so you wont have to worry about a color match...

48548m
03-21-12, 11:07 AM
Going to trade the car in for a used vehicle... Probably not a GM as I am tired of the BS. same run around on my 05 silverado, still waiting for the sun roof to get fixed for the 8th time at a dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-21-12, 05:19 PM
48548m, I am so sorry to hear about your paint experience (and sun roof experience!). I can certainly understand your disappointment, and I wanted to let you know that I'm very saddened to hear this occurred at a Cadillac dealership. I am always more than happy and available to assist you, so please feel free to send me a private message anytime if you would like me to follow-up on concerns.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

surburban99
03-24-12, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear this. I bought new a 2011 ESV with white diamond paint. You would not believe the amount of trash I have found in the paint. MSRP $78,000??? Come on GM, you can do better.

48548m
03-28-12, 12:28 AM
This issue and past silverado (years and 7 sunroofs later and it still is broken) are about to cost me a marriage.... 5 freaking Weeks and no loaner... GM can kiss my butt... I want to post a video of GM bending me over and me asking for more..... I never should have bought another GM since my silverado only had 23000 on the odo but was 6 years old.

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 03:24 AM
I've never had a GM sunroof break on me. Actually any sunroof (knock on wood). Crappy luck I guess :(

48548m
03-30-12, 04:26 PM
Every "module" cracks the same... 5 nib came the same way....

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/48548/cars/IMG_4524.jpg