: New Shift Knob for Manual Trans

leigh1322
03-15-12, 10:56 PM
I recently put a "classic" round billard ball gear shift knob in my 3.6 FE-3 with the MN6.

What do you guys think?

I found one that fits a Camaro V6 with the correct shift pattern and it fits the CTS as well. The shift feel is much lighter and it shifts much quicker with fewer missed/balky shifts.

Makes it a lot more fun to drive!

tinman
03-16-12, 01:09 PM
Looks nice. Definitely retro.

thebigjimsho
03-23-12, 10:28 PM
Nice Cimarron you've got there...

JusJZ
07-26-12, 08:55 PM
Is there a thread for people with just CTS Coupe Manual trans??

cawengr
07-27-12, 05:23 PM
Can you give me the Vendors name or the web address. I have been looking for something like this, I think a heavy knob will help eliminate some of the notchiness in the shifter.

Ttotheroy
08-09-12, 03:00 PM
How does it come off? Looks like a set screw?

cawengr
10-31-12, 06:33 PM
I got the bug to change the knob and went to TWM performance and bought one of their knobs, way overpriced. I used their adapter but did not like it, it moved the boot way up or you could see the set screws on the adaptor. So I made my own adapter and I like the way it looks and operates.

tinman
11-01-12, 07:59 AM
Ahh, Balls! Love 'em.

HurstGN
11-02-12, 12:49 PM
Ahh, Balls! Love 'em.
I think that's more than we wanted to know about you! :histeric:

mctonyb
05-14-13, 08:31 AM
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I absolutely cannot find anywhere on the net how to remove the manual shift knob from the 08+ CTS. I've already got the metal cap off the top but underneath it's more plastic so I'm stumped. There's something loose inside mine and I have to get it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

tinman
05-14-13, 09:36 AM
http://http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/247921-removing-shift-knob.html This thread also has a couple of links to other similar threads.

----------

Insert a flat bladed plastic trim tool between the boot and the knob releasing the retaining tab securing the boot to the knob in order to expose the screw.
Remove the transmission control boot.
Remove the automatic transmission control knob.

Automatic knob:
1. Squeeze the lower sides of the knob, this helps push the tabs in. The boot will just pop down if you push down on it hard enough.
2. One little set-screw to loosen on the back of the knob, knob comes off.
3. Replace opposite as removal.

mctonyb
05-14-13, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately the older first gen seems different than the second and those other instructions are for the auto.

Thanks for the reply though. I can't believe it's that difficult in this thing! I guess the other side of the coin is I don't want to damage the OEM one. If I didn't care for it I'd have broken it off by now.

cawengr
05-14-13, 06:42 PM
The Manual Trans shift knob just pulls straight up. The shaft is straight with a notch in the end, the knob has a piece of steel that springs into the notch to keep it in place. I found that you first loosen the large part of the shift boot from the console so that when the knob finally lets go you don't rip the boot off. Give it a steady pull with a little back and forth rotation and it will come off, it takes quite a bit of pull. I have done my 2005 and my 2011 numerous times.

cawengr
05-14-13, 08:10 PM
I did not mention that the boot is attached to the Knob, that is why you need to disconnect it from the console before pulling it off. I have a couple of pictures, one of the parts guide the other of my 2011 shifter showing the notch.

mctonyb
05-14-13, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get the cap off and the boot disconnected from the knob and I pulled with quote a bit of force and it didn't budge. I'm either a puss or mine was assembled by a GM master tech or something. I'll give it another go, thank you.