: 1983 ht4100 enginge lower end knocking

Lac_pusher
03-15-12, 07:15 AM
i just bought a 1983 cadillac fleet wood brougham d'elegance about a week ago (3/6/2012) when i first bought it it drove perfectly...until the alternator gave out a few hrs later and the battery died...on the highway. so i replaced the alternator and got it back running again. after another day i put regular gas in it (the guy i bought it from said thats the kind he used i should have known better though) . it started lagging in performance on take off it would jerk a little then it would finally drive regular. when i slowed down it acted like it wanted to keep goin and i also hear this "knocking" coming from the engine and i think its more toward the lower end of the engine...so i filled up with mid grade gas and put a fuel additive in it and it started running better. still jerked a little but not as bad. and still knocked a little. so then i filled up with premium gas and another fuel additive 2 days ago (3/13/12) to see if it would run even better but to my dismay it started running worse and knocking louder. . can sumbody please tell me if i just wasted 2400 dollars on a car that i might have to put more money into or is this a simple fix. could it be that it just needs a tune up? is it the gas? and if its going to be an expensive fix (fingers crossed that its not) could the guy that sold it to me have known? i heard no sound or pings or anything when i first test drove it. and i dont drive it hard at all. HELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

----------

OH AND i only hear the knock after the engine warms up

Lac_pusher
03-15-12, 10:19 AM
and also when i first got it i checked the oil it looked as if it had just been changed i checked it today (a week later) and it looks as if it needs changing again. the color is dark but not black yet. what does this mean? im not good at mechanical work but i love cadillacs

----------

and also when i first got it i checked the oil it looked as if it had just been changed i checked it today (a week later) and it looks as if it needs changing again. the color is dark but not black yet. what does this mean? im not good at mechanical work but i love cadillacs