: Power steering pressure line fitting

Larimer
03-14-12, 08:59 PM
What's the best way to get to the fitting on the rack for the power steering pressure line (U shaped line between the engine and engine cradle on the bottom of the car near the oil pan. Runs to the PS pump on one end and the rack on the other)? There's pretty much no clearance anywhere and I'm struggling to find the best way to get at it. Current thought is to disconnect the solenoid/steering gear (part that goes into the rack with a couple wires) and see if I can get it from the driver's wheel well. Any thoughts? I've got the GM service manual but it just says to simply undo the fitting which isn't really helping.

Hose:

Fitting:

Larimer
03-16-12, 07:53 AM
I guess I'm the only lucky one that's had to deal with this. I'll give it another shot again today and post back if I figure it out.

CadzillaTN
03-16-12, 02:19 PM
Reminds me of those crappy haynes manuals where the pic (if they even show one) is after 8 hours of teardown.

There are probably steps missing that are unrelated but still relevant... Yes, you simply undo the fitting, but is that when the rack is connected/disconnected, etc? What else could you remove to get to it?

sway bar maybe, those other lines, lower the subframe, etc... There really is no room in there.

It's almost a if you'd have to undo the rack from the column and remove the mounting bolts just to get clearance....

Larimer
03-16-12, 08:25 PM
Stuck, again. I took the front sway bar out, but am having trouble getting the line off still. There's the steering solenoid/gear sensor (whatever it's called) in the way, which I've turned counter clockwise about a billion times to no avail. Anybody know how to get this thing out? I don't think I can turn it anymore and make any progress that way, and it has to come out to get at that fitting.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/Larimer13/2012-03-16_18-59-00_524.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/Larimer13/2012-03-16_18-59-18_990.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/Larimer13/2012-03-16_18-59-45_593.jpg

Taking the sway out gave more room to work but the angle still isn't good. Unless of course I had an open end 17mm? (can't tell yet, new line is 17 but it's from Autozone) that was bent at an angle to the wrench. Kind of like how my box end craftsman combination wrenches are. Do these exist?

darkman
03-16-12, 09:04 PM
See the attached. Is this what is in the way?

Larimer
03-16-12, 10:02 PM
Darkman, I appreciate the info but I already have it. I've rotated the thing as many times as I think it would do anything and it still hasn't come off. It doesn't seem like it's loosening anymore, just spinning. I don't want to break it as it seems like it's a plastic housing which I've obviously already marred the crap out of. I'll try some upward pressure on it while turning it I guess since I'm at a loss at what else to do with it.

Any techs able to chime in about this?

darkman
03-16-12, 10:12 PM
Darkman, I appreciate the info but I already have it. I've rotated the thing as many times as I think it would do anything and it still hasn't come off. It doesn't seem like it's loosening anymore, just spinning. I don't want to break it as it seems like it's a plastic housing which I've obviously already marred the crap out of. I'll try some upward pressure on it while turning it I guess since I'm at a loss at what else to do with it.

Any techs able to chime in about this?

You may have already tried this but, as I read the instructions the thing does not screw out, it pulls out. The counter clockwise instruction has to do with a twist and pull motion as opposed to simply turning counter clockwise.

(Since I have not personally not disassembled one of these I do not know what else you can try.)

Larimer
03-16-12, 10:40 PM
Well, it has to unscrew at least somewhat. It has moved from where it initially was fitted but that seems to have stopped. Looking at the reinstall instructions you have to torque it to get it seated again so I'm not sure. I'll give it a try and see if the third time will be the charm.

I'm not the biggest fan of the GM manuals, they leave out some details which would be nice to have.

Nick4208
03-17-12, 09:43 AM
What about cutting a opened wrench that fits and try that. Thats what I had to do on my other car, it was not fun a lot of curse words.

Larimer
03-18-12, 10:19 AM
Guessing you meant closed end wrench, but this will probably be the route I go to fix it. Hopefully it's enough to get it to work and I don't just ruin a wrench in the process. haha.

darkman
03-18-12, 10:40 AM
They make wrenches like that. They are called flare nut wrenches. There are also crows feet flare nut removers that work with sockets/extensions. Sears has them, among others.

Larimer
03-18-12, 07:44 PM
Bought the flare nut wrenches today. I just didn't realize they made them in that size. Only ever used small ones for brake fittings and stuff.

Larimer
03-20-12, 09:32 PM
Got it out. Note for future people who do this, don't touch the black plastic gear/solenoid thing. Just remove the front sway which takes 5 minutes and use an 18mm flare nut wrench.

darkman
03-20-12, 09:39 PM
Congratulations:thumbsup: