: three months before waxing or polishing: still applicable?

Trionalaw
03-14-12, 02:47 PM
I don't know where I heard the adage that one had to wait three months after delivery of a new car before waxing or polishing. Does that apply to my 2012 raven black CTS V Coupe 6M?(I threw in the transmission type because I have heard that owners of automatics don't wax as often for whatever reason! You would think it would be us manual owners because our arm is tired from shifting. Of course I kid.)

Does it matter whether one is using Carnival wax or a synthetic polish?

Much appreciated,

Jim

thebigjimsho
03-14-12, 03:36 PM
Do carnauba and do it NOW!

cruiser68
03-14-12, 03:57 PM
New car paint is cured by the time it leaves the factory. Only body shop work needs min 30 days before wax.

As bigjim mentioned, definitely get some protection down....after a clay bar treatment of course. You would be amazed at what crap comes on your new pain from rail dust to other contaminants. I also no longer use wax but sealants. I've been using Zaino for the past 5 years and Klasse before that.

Captain McFunk
03-14-12, 03:57 PM
to be honest, you're probably going to need to polish the patin first (yes, even on a new car, they're filthy from dealer prep) so i'd have someone remove the swirls, then seal, then wax on top. I'd use a carnuba wax. I prefer Adam's Americana.

Trionalaw
03-14-12, 04:39 PM
you threw me with the polish the patin first comment. I don't know what that is.

Thanks,

Jim

Captain McFunk
03-14-12, 06:35 PM
Polishing the paint is when you remove swirls, scratches, RIDS, etc. from the paint to make the paint job look nice, clean, and smooth. Even factory cars need to have this done. Check out this thread, it's from a BRAND NEW porsche. You can see all the paint defects that are there. Once you polish out the paint, then you seal the paint (to prevent it from happening again, then you wax on top of the sealant.

edit: look at this link of a new CTS-V that had a paint correction done on it:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/32953-140-hours-cts-v-full-colorsand.htm

SleeperCTSV
03-15-12, 06:59 PM
What do people recommend as a good sealer prior to waxing?

Kluch
03-16-12, 09:06 AM
you threw me with the polish the patin first comment. I don't know what that is.

Thanks,

Jim

Paint. It was a typo.

Captain McFunk
03-16-12, 09:28 AM
What do people recommend as a good sealer prior to waxing? There are hundreds of sealants. I like Opti-seal and Adams Brilliant Glaze.

M5eater
03-16-12, 09:36 AM
as mentioned. New car paint is fully cured at the factory even. It's basicly powder coated and baked on. Body shop paint is a different formula and is not baked, thus it needs to air dry for 90 days. Technically you *can* still polish new paint, but it's soft enough that even mild abrasives will leave micro-marring.

thebigjimsho
03-16-12, 04:15 PM
Most body shops use paint processes that only need a week or two of curing...

translux
03-17-12, 09:23 AM
edit: look at this link of a new CTS-V that had a paint correction done on it:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...-colorsand.htm

Wow that difference is amazing!
I'd be worried about loosing the clear coat.
I wonder what that costs from a pro?

Captain McFunk
03-17-12, 10:21 AM
Wow that difference is amazing!
I'd be worried about loosing the clear coat.
I wonder what that costs from a pro?

For wetsanding, $300-$1000 and above. For just polishing, probably $200-400.