: How do I get the Temp reading?

STS 310
11-17-04, 04:37 PM
Ive noticed that most of you guys can get your temp reading digitally. How is this done? Is it through the DIC?

Sean McDonald
11-17-04, 06:24 PM
On my 94 I simply press the "Information" button to the left of the speedo.

growe3
11-17-04, 09:13 PM
Ive noticed that most of you guys can get your temp reading digitally. How is this done? Is it through the DIC?

Go to the link and download your Owners Manual. The files are large but good quality.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22994

STS 310
11-24-04, 03:02 PM
Coundnt find anything in the manual on how to get a temp reading digitaly. Must be relegated to the earlier models.

96 STS
11-24-04, 03:15 PM
Don't give up STS 310. You CAN get the temp reading on the DIC. I've switched it on on mine. You just have to change a value in the IPC overrides. It's very easy to do.

Do you have a Shop Manual? If so, the manual explains how to make the change. If not, I'll look it up tonight & post how you can do it. I'm at work right now & can't remember exactly which override it is & what the new number should be.

Later,
96 STS

nitrous1
11-24-04, 03:33 PM
I got these instructions off of another board and I used them on my 96 STS to add the Temp display to the DIC. Read them thoroughly before beginning because you can damage your IPC module if it is done incorrectly. Good Luck!

:thumbsup:

nitrous1

These instructions are for 1997 E/K series Cadillacs (Eldorado and Seville). The Deville already has the DIC display if I recall correctly. This is not available on later model years...not sure when the "cutoff" date is...

1) Press the OFF and PASS WARMER (referred to from here as WARMER) buttons simultaneously to enter diagnostic mode.

2) Let the system read any codes it has stored. You will ultimately be presented with "PCM?". You will answer with the fan speed control button. UP = yes and DOWN = no.

3) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC?". On mine, it's the very next prompt. When you get to the "IPC?" prompt, press UP to enter the IPC area (Instrument Panel Cluster).

4) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC OVERRIDE?". Press UP to enter the override area.

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option E. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads. Yours will probably read "43". That's what mine read when I first did this.

Below are the Option E values:

- Coolant Temp message (64)
- Battery Volts message (32)
- Engine RPM message (16)
- Avg Mph message (8)
- Mph message (4)
- Fuel Used message (2)
- Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

6) Use the WARMER button to increment the value of the override. In this case, we want to add Coolant Temp, so we're going to add "64" to "43", or "107". Press the WARMER button repeatedly to increment the value from "43" to "107".

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the COOLER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

Now, the coolant temp (in units specified) should be one "stop" along the revolving door we call the DIC. smile.gif If you are in metric units, the coolant temp will read in *C. If you are in standard units, it'll read in *F.

Good luck!

BTW: the book warns against incorrectly storing an override value to the system. It said you can permanently damage the IPC by doing this. I don't know how, and have never heard of anyone doing damage to their car, but the book says the danger exists. It says if you ever make a mistake, repeatedly press OFF to completely exit the diagnostic system and start over again.

96 STS
11-24-04, 08:46 PM
Yeah, what nitrous1 said!! The warning that he mentioned in his "BTW:" at the end reads exactly like this in the Service Manual:

"NOTICE: An IP1557 DTC will be set if the flowing procedure is not followed. An IP1557 is not recoverable and the IPC will have to be replaced. If, while performing the following procedure, the "OFF" button is pressed and the IPC displays "IPC CLEAR CODES" Exit on board diagnostics and start over. This will reset the options back to their original settings and prevent IP1557 from setting"

Bacically, this means that if "IPC CLEAR CODES" shows up on the DIC then DO NOT press the Fan Up button (Yes). Just turn the ignition off & that should kill on board diagnostics. Or, keep pressing "OFF" to back out of the system.

Good luck!

96 STS

ellives
11-26-04, 10:52 AM
I used it on my '97 STS -- worked like a champ. Thank you! I love being able to see the digital speed display as well... I'm loving this car more as time goes on..

Ells

Pjs
11-26-04, 11:52 AM
Anyone have the overrides for a 95 SLS? I'd love to have the digital RPM's in my scroll.

ellives
11-26-04, 12:14 PM
*Is* there an override for RPM's? I don't recall seeing that one....

Ells

96 STS
11-26-04, 12:56 PM
There IS a value for engine RPM, but several of us have tried it but got no results. Don't really know what's up with that. Been waiting for someone with the facts to explain why this won't show.

Seems like the Service Manual mentioned digital vs. analog clusters, so maybe it will only show on digital clusters. The manual wasn't very clear about this.

Do you have a digital cluster? If so, maybe you could test it on yours & tell if it works.

96 STS

Pjs
11-26-04, 01:11 PM
Naw, I got the analog cluster. I'd just like to have the ability to cross check the digi tach w/ the cluster one while i'm on the move instead of having to go through the whole diagostics everytime.

STS 310
11-26-04, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. I will print this out and try. Hopefully, I wont mess it up. Just follow the DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. LOL.

STS 310
11-28-04, 01:55 PM
Nitruos, I managed to get the Temp reading. Worked as advertised. Thanks Nitrous and 96.

In regards to the the RPM readout, possibly the DIC will store only a certain value "amount" or a certain number of "stops".

Anyway, thanks again fellas.

STS 310

nitrous1
11-28-04, 04:59 PM
Nitruos, I managed to get the Temp reading. Worked as advertised. Thanks Nitrous and 96.

In regards to the the RPM readout, possibly the DIC will store only a certain value "amount" or a certain number of "stops".

Anyway, thanks again fellas.

STS 310

I'm trying to get the RPM display to work on my STS right now. I was going thru the IPC options with my TECH 2 and saw the option to add MPH and RPM. I was able to get the MPH to work, but not the RPM - but I'm not giving up. I'll try again some time in near future.

Congrats on getting the TEMP display working.

nitrous1

96 STS
11-28-04, 08:34 PM
Hey nitrous1, if you do get the RPM to work PLEASE see if there is any setting that can be done w/o the TECH2. I tried by adding the correct value to the override option, but nothing comes up for RPM.

Let us know how it goes. You'll be praised by many if you get it to work :) Me included.

96 STS

95Concours
11-29-04, 02:23 PM
I have the same problem, I have a 95 Deville with the digital cluster, everywhere I've read say's I should have the Engine Temp and Rpm's in the info button/reading... But I dont, I have ave. mpg, trip, oil life etc. If these should be on there and the previous owner(s) somehow removed them would disconnecting the battery reset them? Anyone else have a deville ODB1 with my same problem?

AdibT
11-30-04, 06:09 AM
I have the same situation in my Councour 1994!

Can I show the temp and the RPM on my digital dashboard?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Adib

outlaw1369
11-30-04, 03:46 PM
Just wondering on a 1996 Deville can I override the computer to have the cooling fans turn on 5-10 deg earlier?

peteski
12-01-04, 01:11 AM
I don't think so unless you reverse engineered and re-programed the PCM.

But why do you want to do this? There are hundreds of thousands of Northstar engines running just fine the way they are.

If you think something is wrong then you probably have some sort of mechanical or electrical problem which if fixed will make the car work right again.

Or do you have another reason for trying this?

Peteski

outlaw1369
12-02-04, 11:40 AM
I have found that once the temp reaches 245-250 or so in my N*, the cooling system cannot right itself and the car will overheat. This does not happen often but after a few WOT on the highway with speeds reaching 95-100mph I have to keep a eye on the temp or I will exceed my point of no return and the car will have to limp home or pull over to cool off. I am sure I have a internal coolant leak as I have to add 1/2 gallon of antifreeze a week in the car. I use the bars leaks and am saving my pennies for the timesert job. If I could have my cooling fans come on a few degrees earlier it may help to keep the temps in a lower range. The radiator in my vehicle appears to be in good condition and I have replaced the water pump and lubed the pulley pivot point. I can putt around in this car all day long with no problems but I like to feel the performance these motors have from time to time.

ellives
12-02-04, 01:16 PM
I have found that once the temp reaches 245-250 or so in my N*, the cooling system cannot right itself and the car will overheat. This does not happen often but after a few WOT on the highway with speeds reaching 95-100mph I have to keep a eye on the temp or I will exceed my point of no return and the car will have to limp home or pull over to cool off. I am sure I have a internal coolant leak as I have to add 1/2 gallon of antifreeze a week in the car. I use the bars leaks and am saving my pennies for the timesert job. If I could have my cooling fans come on a few degrees earlier it may help to keep the temps in a lower range. The radiator in my vehicle appears to be in good condition and I have replaced the water pump and lubed the pulley pivot point. I can putt around in this car all day long with no problems but I like to feel the performance these motors have from time to time.

It's doubtful having the fans come on any sooner will help anything. As you describe your speed when this is happening, there is already plenty of airflow and the fans aren't contributing anything. If the water pump is good, the problem is more likely a radiator issue or internal waterflow within the engine.

AdibT
12-13-04, 12:29 PM
Hi everybody,

I didn't receive anything about the above problem with my Councours 1994!

Can I show the temp and the RPM on my digital cluster?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Adib