: Gas Gauge - Range Issue

Stealth V
03-13-12, 03:54 PM
Since I got the V the gas gauge and range readouts have been very different. I will have a full tank and the range will say something like 170 miles. Then start catching up and go to around 220. Then when im at half tank on my gauge, it says low range and will never go back up till I fill it full again. Input?

darkman
03-13-12, 10:41 PM
First of all, if your V is a 2004-2005 with a VIN of 50105337 or less, there is Technical Service Bulletin related to the fuel gauge. It involves the transfer of fuel between the two internal sections of the fuel tank. If you V quaifies I will post the TSB.

Next the analog fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate. I reset the "fuel used" on the DIC with each tank and check it if I think I need fuel.

I have never paid any attention to the indicated fuel range, but I assume it is recalcuting based on the cumulative mpg data. I would think you would need to reset the fuel range and mpg when you fill up to get accurate information. Even then the range would change depending on your driving habits.

rand49er
03-14-12, 09:34 AM
Not sure if this is the same, but when I drive my wife's SRX, the range readout actually goes up. I figure it's because it's using the last so-many miles of driving habits to do the calculation, and my wife is a bit of a lead foot while I'm much more steady and careful. As her driving history becomes less and less of a factor and mine becomes the dominant one, the history "improves." Could the same or similar algorithm be involved in the older Vs?

repenttokyo
03-14-12, 03:04 PM
Next the analog fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate. I reset the "fuel used" on the DIC with each tank and check it if I think I need fuel.

i do exactly this too - I do not use the analog gauge.

DDS rollin a CTS
03-14-12, 03:51 PM
i do exactly this too - I do not use the analog gauge.

Me three. Especially after running out of gas TWICE when the gauge said I still had at least 1/8th tank left.

Rakenjevnk
03-14-12, 04:34 PM
I have kept meticulous fuel records for my car and what I've found is that the gauge has a bad habit of lying to me. I usually see this pattern: guage reads a bit below 1/8th & nav says 60L used & gas reciept says 64-65L. The fuel warning will pop up and I probably will only get 25 km if lucky. Anyone have a fix for the gauge goofiness, can't be recalibrated?

darkman
03-14-12, 05:07 PM
Anyone have a fix for the gauge goofiness, can't be recalibrated?

Instead of a "fix" I just wish there was a way to substitute another, more useful guage in that slot.

Rakenjevnk
03-14-12, 05:09 PM
Instead of a "fix" I just wish there was a way to substitute another, more useful guage in that slot.

I vote resettable lateral-G meter!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-14-12, 11:31 PM
I'm just getting back to the office after several days away and am catching up with recent threads. Very saddened to hear about these range issues! I would be happy to research anyone's vehicle for them; feel free to send me a private message anytime with your name and VIN.

Rakenjevnk, I would recommend checking in with your dealership for a potential fix, and please keep us updated on your situation, especially if you or your dealer is able to find a resolution.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Rakenjevnk
03-15-12, 11:08 AM
I'm just getting back to the office after several days away and am catching up with recent threads. Very saddened to hear about these range issues! I would be happy to research anyone's vehicle for them; feel free to send me a private message anytime with your name and VIN.

Rakenjevnk, I would recommend checking in with your dealership for a potential fix, and please keep us updated on your situation, especially if you or your dealer is able to find a resolution.

Best,

Katie

Thanks for the virtual support but there is no way I'm going to pay a blood-sucking dealer to poke around in my wiring and charge me for diagnostics especially when it is still working (I am not under Warranty). No offense but dealers have *&^%-slapped me in the face too many times for big bills to do next to nothing and almost always do it wrong. Especially on a "rarer" car like the first gen V.

It's gotten to the point I feel sketchy getting them to do an oil change...
Counter-point: There is a Kal-Tire I go to for alignments that has impressed me with their diagnostics/customer service skills, go figure.

In regards to the fuel gauge it sucks to say it about a "Luxury Cadillac-Corvette Sedan" but the real solution is to learn your car. If you know 1/8 is damn near empty you know everything you need to. I am curious about one thing though. Where/how does the car sense the fuel consumed? Is that a flow meter or a value calculated from the fuel injection computer aspect? I guess to get down to it; is an inaccurate fuel used value in the console indicative of an engine in need of a tune or injector maintenance? I use 65L when it says I use 60 so at least I would be burning rich...

----------

Since I got the V the gas gauge and range readouts have been very different. I will have a full tank and the range will say something like 170 miles. Then start catching up and go to around 220. Then when im at half tank on my gauge, it says low range and will never go back up till I fill it full again. Input?

Sorry I thread jacked a bit there. It is very strange that at half tank you get the low range warning indeed, and it would be very annoying.

repenttokyo
03-15-12, 05:42 PM
I have kept meticulous fuel records for my car and what I've found is that the gauge has a bad habit of lying to me. I usually see this pattern: guage reads a bit below 1/8th & nav says 60L used & gas reciept says 64-65L. The fuel warning will pop up and I probably will only get 25 km if lucky.

you are braver than I am - I always fill up around 55-56 liters used, usually 58 liters on the gas receipt. It's a 64 liter tank, right? (17 gallons).

Rakenjevnk
03-15-12, 05:47 PM
yup, I am lucky not brave, only last 7 or 8 fills have I compared the fuel used on the reciept and fuel used in the nav. Used to just trust my gauges... never again! :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-15-12, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the virtual support but there is no way I'm going to pay a blood-sucking dealer to poke around in my wiring and charge me for diagnostics especially when it is still working (I am not under Warranty). No offense but dealers have *&^%-slapped me in the face too many times for big bills to do next to nothing and almost always do it wrong. Especially on a "rarer" car like the first gen V.

It's gotten to the point I feel sketchy getting them to do an oil change...
Counter-point: There is a Kal-Tire I go to for alignments that has impressed me with their diagnostics/customer service skills, go figure.

In regards to the fuel gauge it sucks to say it about a "Luxury Cadillac-Corvette Sedan" but the real solution is to learn your car. If you know 1/8 is damn near empty you know everything you need to. I am curious about one thing though. Where/how does the car sense the fuel consumed? Is that a flow meter or a value calculated from the fuel injection computer aspect? I guess to get down to it; is an inaccurate fuel used value in the console indicative of an engine in need of a tune or injector maintenance? I use 65L when it says I use 60 so at least I would be burning rich...

No offense taken, Rakenjevnk! I can understand your opinion, and I'm really sorry to hear about your dealership history. The virtual support still stands, and if you ever have any issues you'd like me to investigate, just let me know.

Katie

ctsvoom
03-30-12, 09:36 PM
I got way to used to the Tacoma and that when the gas light came on that I could still had 2-3 gal of fuel left. Not in the V, the light comes on I have about 20 miles before i'm walking to the gas station or calling for someone to bring some to me. Happened twice, there will not be a third time.

FuzzyLogic
03-31-12, 04:49 PM
The gauge on my 2006 CTS-V (22k miles) has been nonlinear since day one. I'm convinced that this is yet another significant design flaw like the motor mounts and differential. It reads "full" or almost full for the first 12-14 gallons and then plummets.

Dan_Gurney
03-31-12, 10:24 PM
I got way to used to the Tacoma and that when the gas light came on that I could still had 2-3 gal of fuel left. Not in the V, the light comes on I have about 20 miles before i'm walking to the gas station or calling for someone to bring some to me. Happened twice, there will not be a third time.

you are lucky you had 20 miles, i have had the car stall out, then when i went to restart it the low gas warning came on... (it was out and wouldn't restart)

CTSV_510
04-01-12, 12:24 PM
I too go by the DIC's "fuel used" meter for a more accurate fuel level, and use the analog gauge as a reminder to check the fuel used on the DIC once the analog gauge gets to about 1/3 remaining. I typically fill up when I get to 14-15 gallons used, and find that it is overstated by about a full gallon when I actually fill up. I don't know if that's a miscalibration because of my larger than stock injectors, but it's consistent and that's all I need to keep from running out of gas.

I actually replaced my fuel pump assembly including fuel level sensor after the original burned up, and it did not make the gauge work better.