: Wheres Jake? We need studs and engines !!!

My99Eldorado
03-12-12, 08:01 PM
If anyone can contact Jake, I need him to contact me about an engine I ordered for a '99 Eldorado ETC.

Have been unable to reach him by text. Anyone else getting a "mailbox full" message when sending email to info@northstarperformance.com.

Paul Flores

Ranger
03-12-12, 10:14 PM
Try Facebook.

edb150
03-12-12, 11:27 PM
We have finished 150 head gasket jobs to date and we need a set of studs for a 00 but cant find Jake . Anyone have a set they can part with? Contact me at 847 878 5676 Joe At Midwest Cadillac Repair:banghead:

Submariner409
03-12-12, 11:36 PM
This revelation does not bode well...............

Ranger
03-12-12, 11:45 PM
Try facebook Joe.

vincentm
03-13-12, 01:00 AM
Dude is MIA, everyone is looking for him.

ternstes
03-13-12, 10:08 AM
Maybe he took a mini vacation? God knows he needs it!

vincentm
03-13-12, 10:44 AM
Yea, but to leave customers hanging like that ain't good either. There's a thread somewhere a member has been waiting 90+ days for a kit, not good at all.

stoveguyy
03-13-12, 12:29 PM
Timesert block and use ARP studs for VW motor. Am waiting for someone to try it. Why both? Cuz timeserts are known to work and applying torque to nuts on top of heads should lessen chances of timesert failure. If u can install timeserts, than screwing in the studs should be easy. And it might even be cheaper than jakes studs once u buy the timesert kit and use it on several motors to even out cost. Do u want to buy studs from ARP with ease or from the mysterious jake?

edb150
03-13-12, 01:08 PM
No, i prefer norms over timeserts. I have drilled out several sets of serts and installed norms. I will do that if need be but this customer really wants studs.

Submariner409
03-13-12, 01:34 PM
ARP will work with you for a set of their HT studs to use in the NS300 inserts. No, I have not used their studs in a Northstar, but have used about 15 sets in Olds 455's. Good product.

97EldoCoupe
03-13-12, 04:21 PM
Read my post in the lounge. I am hoping tomorrow is a new day. I'm getting back to work. I am under a great deal of torment. FWIW there had been cars waiting in Ontario since August and they have just been completed. One more to go. I'm at the stud shop now to crank the sets out.

It's wrong to leave customers hanging. I deny nothing. I need to get better again and then I need to assign a "Second in Command" so that if either of us has issues preventing us from working or fulfilling our duties, business still carries on.

wildside
03-13-12, 08:13 PM
Hello Jake, its Chris from Wildside, I
Need studs!!! Have 3 engines on shop
Floor,
3 more cars coming. How long until
Studs will be ready?
Let me know
Thanks!
Chris

ThumperPup
03-13-12, 09:53 PM
welcome back Jake saw your post take it easy but get back to work also lots are depending on you but don;'t let the presure build up on you just do what you need to

i also know

david is in need of studs i think he is out and has a few coming in for head jobs soon from what i heard

97EldoCoupe
03-14-12, 11:32 AM
Please don't mistake anything, the gears of business are always turning in my mind. I have more than just stud kit customers to look after, vehicle repairs as well, because the stud kits don't cover the bills (at least they haven't yet).

Expect a good update in a day or two.

lynbr
03-14-12, 06:59 PM
hi jake,
im trying to buy a set of studs from you, for a 98 deville if you could contact me that would be GREATLY appreciated, 951 665 9643

----------

i just want my studs :( so my deville can run:(

dwillv
03-14-12, 09:48 PM
therepaying the bills when ur taking n the money and not delivering
Please don't mistake anything, the gears of business are always turning in my mind. I have more than just stud kit customers to look after, vehicle repairs as well, because the stud kits don't cover the bills (at least they haven't yet).

Expect a good update in a day or two.

ThumperPup
03-15-12, 10:25 AM
anyone know why jakes update in the lounge was removed
i know David from Powertrain got on to check it out and he mentioned it was not up anymore so just curious why it got removed

vincentm
03-15-12, 10:36 AM
anyone know why jakes update in the lounge was removed
i know David from Powertrain got on to check it out and he mentioned it was not up anymore so just curious why it got removed

He requested that it be removed, it could've easily turned into a flamewar. Including this thread as well imo.

Submariner409
03-15-12, 11:01 AM
^^^ Yes.

ThumperPup
03-15-12, 11:14 AM
ah cool cool
i just know that i had mentioned to david and sent him jakes new number and he was curious to see where jake posted so he got online to check it out and couldn't find it
asked me if i knew what happened and all

yeah something like that i can see how it can turn into a Flame war seems like its always a 50 50 shoot up on weather it could and or couldn't

Faded Crest
03-15-12, 11:29 AM
Since the stud kits are obviously not available at this time I plan to use Norm's inserts. I have communicated with Norm and he seems to be a straight shooter with just as good a product and can ship immediately. That is what I recommend to anybody who is waiting around with their car broken down.

vincentm
03-15-12, 11:35 AM
^^^ Yes.

I foresee a thread closure here

Faded Crest
03-15-12, 12:36 PM
delete

Submariner409
03-15-12, 01:29 PM
I foresee a thread closure here

Only if and/or when the name-calling starts. My "Yes ^^^" is based on having seen Jake's posts and request before they were deleted.

dwillv
03-15-12, 10:15 PM
Deleted by Ranger (Double Post)

Once is enough.

maeng9981
03-15-12, 11:49 PM
DO NOT DELETE THIS POST! EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW, SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO THE NEXT VICTIM.

When Ranger says stop, you stop. Stop posting about your bad experiences, if you have problems with certain company, then your best bet is to contact the company. If you have problems with certain CF vendor then contact the site administrators. Yelling on the public forums will just get it deleted and thread closed, especially if you try to look for every related threads and "copy and paste" your experiences everywhere.

Ranger
03-15-12, 11:57 PM
:yeah:

drewsdeville
03-16-12, 12:04 AM
I agree, there's no place for yelling, but I don't see any problem with posting related business experiences in the company of people who would be interested. That's exactly what a forum like this is for - We've all posted about horrible experiences with parts distributors like NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Orielly, etc - everyone seems to appreciate those, they don't get deleted, and this is the same concept. It's unfortunate that he has to post a negative experience, but that's the way it worked out. Would his post be deleted if the experience was positive and he popped in to let everyone know?

maeng9981
03-16-12, 12:06 AM
I agree, there's no place for yelling, but I don't see any problem with posting related business experiences in the company of people who would be interested. That's exactly what a forum like this is for - We've all posted about horrible experiences with parts distributors like NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Orielly, etc - everyone seems to appreciate those, they don't get deleted, and this is the same concept. It's unfortunate that he has to post a negative experience, but that's the way it worked out. Would his post be deleted if the experience was positive and he popped in to let everyone know?

Like Ranger said - once is enough. His post about certain company can be found in so many related threads.

usmc99
03-16-12, 12:12 AM
Does anyone here know how to get in touch with these folks?
I purchased one of these kits awhile back and haven't heard a thing since.
all calls, emails and texts have gone unanswered. The gentleman on the phone said I would
receive an invoice and tracking number, but received neither. Im getting a little
suspicious and angry because my car is sitting in a shop collecting storage fee and because
this thing cost over $500. please help.

Submariner409
03-16-12, 12:23 AM
Curious that you surface at this time..................You might want to read the identical threads and posts currently running down in Engines: Northstar Performance - it will be easy, because that's where this thread is going. Right now.

Faded Crest
03-16-12, 03:03 AM
I decided to delete my previous post because I think it might be taken wrong.... or as piling on which was not it's intended purpose. I sympathize with Jake because I know first hand how stressful it is to deal with customers and deadlines when you are behind schedule. I also know how very difficult it is to talk to customers when you cannot give them the news they want to hear. Overwhelming dread and stress can make you just shut everybody out. My post was meant to serve as a challenge to start fresh which is what I needed at the time, but I don't know enough about his situation to say that's what he needs.

It has also been my experience that for the most part customers want to be patient and understanding and are generally willing to forgive, but being ignored only incites anger and frustration which seems to be starting to surface. Acknowledging customers and offering a realistic time frame for fulfilling obligations will go a long way toward keeping people satisfied and reducing stress. At this point I think that a lot of people just want to know that they haven't been taken. I hope people who are waiting for product will extend Jake as much mercy and understanding as they can. And hopefully he can offer a realistic timeline for product delivery.

usmc99
03-16-12, 10:23 AM
Does anybody know how to get in touch with this guy. I could accept the fact that hes running behind, but to ignore his customers for so long is unacceptable.
I'm going to keep this drama free, but Jake if you're reading this, please can you contact me because I'm extremely desperate and need to know when will i receive my
purchase or can i just get a refund.

Ranger
03-16-12, 11:09 AM
You might get him om Facebook.

----------

Drew,
dwillv has a legitimate complaint and I don't blame him for being pissed. I would be too. His original complaint still stands in the now closed thread. The ONLY reason it was deleted is because it was a double post, same as all other double posts and the same would be true if it was a positive post.

dwillv
03-17-12, 01:04 AM
Content deleted by Submariner409 - reason: name calling and inappropriate language.

Faded Crest
03-17-12, 01:17 AM
Here's an idea little boy, get lost!

:banhim2:

dwillv
03-17-12, 01:28 AM
sorry ranger i glad u do c my point. i came to this site looking for just away to fix my car i bought with blown HG's.and i thought jakes stud would b my fix but here i am still waiting and waiting and waiting.

----------

Content deleted by Submariner409 - reason: inappropriate language.
----------

ban me thats fine. i hope u all that disagree with me keep giving ur hard earned money away and never complian about it

Faded Crest
03-17-12, 01:34 AM
This kid's behavior fits the profile of someone who would create and post under alternate user name as well... Ranger I would suggest an IP track.

CadillacLuke24
03-17-12, 02:19 AM
dwillv quit acting like a little five year old girl who got her dolly taken at recess. WE KNOW FULL WELL OF YOUR ISSUES IN TRYING TO OBTAIN STUDS FROM JAKE. He is going through a really tough time right now, and he's really, really, really struggling to keep up. How would things be going for you if you had a death in the family, all of your cars are inoperable, and you're trying to move a business? Keep up what you are doing, and you will get banned from the site, get absolutely no help in fixing your Cadillac, and be way worse off. Jake is human, he's not perfect, but good grief dude try to understand the situation. I would highly, strongly, and consistently advise and recommend you to bring up your problem with Jake in a civil, polite, kind, and understanding manner. I know Jake is aware of his problems, and he is regretful for what has happened. He is an honest guy, a stand up guy, and will stop at nothing to set things right IF YOU GIVE HIM THE CHANCE. You should have got your studs long ago. Absolutely. However, something happened, and Jake is having a rough go of things trying to get things sorted. out. He's nearly finished with all that, from what it sounds like, so give it a shot. I'm not standing up for Jake, I'm sure he can do that by himself just fine. It is hovwever, ridiculous for you to rag on him in such an ignorant manner. I want to see you get your Cadillac fixed, and stick around the forums, cause this site is way fun and a great resource. I know you're mad. You paid for a product and haven't received it. In any other case I'd be irate as well. But you have got to realize that there are extraordinary circumstances at work here. Please, please try to contact Jake and work with him. I'd be willing to bet that if you are very polite about things, and throw in an apology for your words on the forums, that Jake would give ya a break on your studs. Give it some thought dude.

usmc99
03-17-12, 10:36 AM
Original content deleted by Submariner409 due to name-callng and inappropriate language.

Im lost..... Can you please explan your reasoning behind the above statement.

There seems to be a strong cult-like following for Jake and while that’s great and all, it still doesn’t excuse or negates the fact that people paid a large amount of money for his product and all we're getting back in return is excuses. From what I’ve researched online, jakes mounting personal issues have been escalating for awhile now, but it seems he never stopped taking orders. common sense would dictate If you are unable to deliver the product then stop taking orders. If you do continue to take orders, you’re obligated to inform the customer of possible delays. But, on the phone, I was told I would receive an invoice the same day and A TRACKING NUMER WITHIN A WEEK. To this day I’ve received neither and all calls, texts and emails have been ignored. That is not being a STAND UP GUY as everybody is proclaiming Jake to be. I don’t know the guy so I will refrain from judgment, but I could clearly see why some of the members are feeling duped and rightly so, should vend their frustration. I feel as though Jake is using the money from the new orders to cover the old ones and correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t that a ponzi scheme? No customer should accept this practice from any business, big or small. for the Jake minions, I am glad your dealings with Jake was a success, but mine haven’t been, so please spare me the " Jake is going through things and his a stand up guy and just be patient" rhetoric. I would accept that if there were a few isolated incidents but these is a reoccurring theme with multiple customers and I was clearly misled from the start.

Submariner409
03-17-12, 11:42 AM
Open message to everyone affected by or interested in this thread:

There are processes working to get to the bottom of the stud business and delivery failure. BEFORE this thread goes any further downhill and turns into nothing more than a "He said, She said" name calling contest, will everyone please sit back, take a breath and pop a brew. No one - not Members, Moderators, or Administrators likes it one bit when there is discord and animosity in a Forum - especially since any police action is distasteful to all. The problem will be handled at the highest levels, rest assured. We cannot guarantee product supply or delivery, only the "Why ?" question.

Thanks, Submariner 409 (Jim)

Ranger
03-17-12, 12:11 PM
Just for the record. I am covering no ones ass. I am staying out of this and my opinions will be kept to myself. Let the chips fall where they may. Just please keep it civil so I don't have to delete posts or close threads.

usmc99
03-17-12, 12:17 PM
Sub,

I could live with that. I understand and accept sh*t happens, but ignoring paying customers should not be tolorated.

----------

*sorry....tolerated.

PaleAle
03-17-12, 01:45 PM
Hey Submariner,
Would that be a green brew? Happy St Patty's day everyone.

Submariner409
03-17-12, 02:36 PM
heh, heh..............yep ^^^^. The McSherry and Reilly side of me is headed over to Ram's Head at 4 for a green brew and fish & chips. (Corned beef & cabbage - yuk ! - I may be part Irish, but not that part.)

PaleAle
03-17-12, 02:45 PM
We'll have one green one for tradition, followed by a Black & Tan, a Guiness, and probably finish with Bass Ale. Maybe throw in a car bomb and a shot of Jamison too before we crawl into the cab. I can feel my late Grandmother O'connor scowling as I type.

Submariner409
03-17-12, 03:02 PM
To keep this thread in the head stud realm, :stirpot: , in order to keep my head screwed on straight, two hours ago I eased into the garage with a trunk load of assorted booze from Baker's Liquors - including a 1.75L jug of Jameson's.

Irish coffee, Styx and REO Speedwagon vinyl this evening.

PaleAle
03-17-12, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I think you deserve it. You guys put up with a lot as moderators. I will think of you when I have a Jamison later. Thanks for all you do, I have learned a lot reading and searching the forums.
BTW my 03 is the same color is yours. I currently have 17" chrome DTS wheels on it because I had them from a parts car with newer Michelin's on them. The 17" stock ones are sitting in the garage still but the DTS ones look pretty sharp on it.

dwillv
03-18-12, 10:20 AM
Content deleted - all deleted info has been posted before, in this thread.

dwillv, Please do not continually keep posting old information. If you will, go down to the Site News forum and open the sub-forum titled "Rules ......." Yes, it's a lot to read, but you will find that endlessly repeating old information is not allowed.

Please let this thread develop as more real information becomes available - Thanks, Submariner409.

Faded Crest
03-18-12, 11:48 AM
:owned:

To Sub... :cheer:

Submariner409
03-18-12, 03:27 PM
................didn't know you could read semaphore.............:lildevil:

dwillv
03-18-12, 08:46 PM
YA WHATEVER :hmm:

tigers2007
03-18-12, 09:23 PM
Not to taunt anyone but I've probably put on about 30,000 miles in about a year and probably 10% of that was driving like an escaped convict -- all thanks to Jake and his studs. The sad news is that the damn mice ate through the damn main wiring harness last week.

Faded Crest
03-19-12, 02:27 AM
................didn't know you could read semaphore.............:lildevil:

Glad you got the message. :D

97EldoCoupe
03-19-12, 12:38 PM
Alright everyone. I am working with a clear head again. I would love to take all day to go through these threads and respond to everyone but I don't have the time.

Running that CNC takes full concentration. Programming it takes even more than full concentration. I have solid carbide drill bits mounted in the tool posts that cost over $100 each. It doesn't take much of a programming error to ruin a days work, burn up a few hundred $$ and even ruin the machine. This is why I don't program it when I haven't had enough sleep; or when I cannot concentrate. I made that mistake a couple of times and those mistakes can set me back for weeks (while new tooling or parts for the lathe come in).

I have two options today and that is

1) change tooling/programming continuously to get a few kits out today or
2) run lots of parts at once and ship ALL kits out tomorrow and still have stock leftover.

I'm choosing #2. For all those who have to wait an extra day, I do apologize.

UPS has lost a kit to one of my valued customers, not fair to him or me, I never get reimbursed for them the proper amount.

The demand will be supplied. I will post a progress update tomorrow on how many kits have been produced and shipped.

I am running two businesses at once and that's the stud kits and the vehicle repairs. I have to focus on both. What is going to be placed in priority #1 is the stud kits. Because once they are produced, to stick a label on the box and have UPS pick them up takes maybe 5-10 minutes of my time. So before any other vehicles are repaired, the stud kits will be in stock first. This is a decision that may piss some people off, but remember- I rely on these studs too; to fix the cars.

All those who have ordered already, wait for an update tomorrow. All those who haven't; I should be able to process and ship tomorrow. All those who absolutely cannot understand what I have gone through both financially; mentally; physically; to stay afloat and keep the sign above the shop and the doors open; you can gladly ask for a refund, an apology, an explanation; I will gladly give that to you.

Now I have to get to work;

Jim; I will call you as soon as that UPS truck has gone for today (will ship whatever I can).

When you post something stupid like I did the other day; you find out right fast who your friends are. I will be in better spirits once the sun shines brightly again and my bank account goes back in the black. Right now I have a job to do-

CadillacLuke24
03-19-12, 04:38 PM
Dwillv, there you go. Hopefully they show up soon bud. Good luck on fixing your Caddy if you still plan on it.

Submariner409
03-19-12, 05:52 PM
Good words, Jake. Hopefully you'll have a few quiet days to allow the wheels of progress to begin rolling again.

When you get a break, stop in and say "Hi !"

dwillv
03-19-12, 11:50 PM
When i c them at my door i will believe it

John.Westlock
03-20-12, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear that Jake. I decided to go with your studs and last week put an order through your website but haven't received a call for payment yet. Hope to hear from you soon. I'm the guy from NY with the 1995 Eldo with 30k on it. Any idea on the wait time? Thanks :yup:

Once you get over the hiccups you'll do fine in the business- made a great move doing making them in house and have a great product.
When my father was running a motorcycle shop years ago out sourcing pretty much put him out of business. Back then the chromers would take weeks longer than they promised and if they damaged the part he had to make good. Also sometimes the suppliers for his parts would be slow to ship or lie about having them in stock. No one wants to hear that its not your fault and someone else's. Its like a catch 22. Know a little bit of what your going through.

Might help to have an mass email sent out to all who have paid/ ordered though when you run into production issues with a realistic (not overly optimistic) idea of what the wait time. In my experience people usually prefer to hear they will get the parts in few weeks or a month and receive it then rather than to be given multiple overly optimistic delivery dates and not to receive anything each time. That way if they get it sooner they will feel better about it too than getting them after 2 or 3 wrong delivery dates. Just a thought.

Dwillv
from reading Jake's posts and the feedback from other's you will get your parts its just when. Before I decided to order I read though a lot of his posts and interaction with others. Its hard starting a business up. You are basically ordering a custom part- not from a factory that spits them out. In an ideal world he should have gotten them to you sooner but life happens and it happens alot when you get into the custom realm. If you read up on Jake's post's you can see he isn't one of those guys that takes your money and runs. I've dealt with some guys in the past (not here) who do that and Jake doesn't act that way. He is in it for the long haul. Besides it would be pretty stupid of him to steal your $500 or so. I know $500+ is a big deal to an individual (including myself) but Jake's got 100 times more than that invested in his business. If he kept "stealing" $500 or so from people he would lose the tens of thousands he has invested in his business and probably all he owns (not to mention any legal trouble) in pretty short order. It wouldn't take long. It would be suicide and really dumb. If he sticks with it he's got one of the best solutions for repairing the common problems of a engine that was in production for almost 20 years. If he can stihang in there he can make some pretty good money- there are a lot of Northstars out there. If you can't wait there are always Norm's serts- I'm sure Jake will refund you if you ask him. However in my opinion the studs are a superior design as they only go finger tight in the block- not like tigtening a bolt into a insert which can expand (I think Norm's only have a wall slightly less than 1/8in- probably plenty thick but the studs eliminate any possible problems with that. Either way though Norm's are light years ahead of the Time serts and have good reports as well. Time Serts- what was GM thinking??? Fine concentric threads in aluminum??? Just nuts.

Yeah I know Jake doesn't have any of my money yet but in some ways I wish I had your place in the line:o Best of luck with your Caddy.

Faded Crest
03-20-12, 11:44 AM
...I'm the guy from NY with the 1995 Eldo with 30k on it.

Head gaskets went at 30K???? Wow!

CadillacLuke24
03-20-12, 02:02 PM
:yeah: Owie.

Ranger
03-20-12, 04:57 PM
That must be a mileage record, but how old was it and was the coolant ever changed?

CadillacLuke24
03-20-12, 06:34 PM
Ima guess original coolant and the original drove the piss outta the poor thing.

Faded Crest
03-20-12, 06:34 PM
Maybe he's just doing the head gaskets out of "preventative maintenance"... :rolleyes:

dkozloski
03-20-12, 06:39 PM
................didn't know you could read semaphore.............:lildevil:Said the old skivvy waver.

vincentm
03-20-12, 07:27 PM
Head gaskets went at 30K???? Wow!

03 CTS, HG went at 43k

http://carrollcustomcadillac.sharepoint.com/Pages/03CTS.aspx

(http://carrollcustomcadillac.sharepoint.com/Pages/03CTS.aspx)

dwillv
03-20-12, 09:25 PM
sorry to tell u this john westlock he is not just starting out if go read some old post hes been letting people hang for years. this is nothing new for him to leave customers hanging for months at a time

Ranger
03-20-12, 09:58 PM
Maybe he's just doing the head gaskets out of "preventative maintenance"... :rolleyes:
Wouldn't be the first to suggest that.

Faded Crest
03-20-12, 10:33 PM
Wouldn't be the first to suggest that.

I suppose it might just be worth doing that, depending on to what degree you lack peace about driving your car... (especially on long road trips). You could make an argument that it's better to do the HG job at a time of your own choosing rather than the car's.

edb150
03-20-12, 10:48 PM
Glad to hear that Jake. I decided to go with your studs and last week put an order through your website but haven't received a call for payment yet. Hope to hear from you soon. I'm the guy from NY with the 1995 Eldo with 30k on it. Any idea on the wait time? Thanks :yup:

Once you get over the hiccups you'll do fine in the business- made a great move doing making them in house and have a great product.
When my father was running a motorcycle shop years ago out sourcing pretty much put him out of business. Back then the chromers would take weeks longer than they promised and if they damaged the part he had to make good. Also sometimes the suppliers for his parts would be slow to ship or lie about having them in stock. No one wants to hear that its not your fault and someone else's. Its like a catch 22. Know a little bit of what your going through.

Might help to have an mass email sent out to all who have paid/ ordered though when you run into production issues with a realistic (not overly optimistic) idea of what the wait time. In my experience people usually prefer to hear they will get the parts in few weeks or a month and receive it then rather than to be given multiple overly optimistic delivery dates and not to receive anything each time. That way if they get it sooner they will feel better about it too than getting them after 2 or 3 wrong delivery dates. Just a thought.

Dwillv
from reading Jake's posts and the feedback from other's you will get your parts its just when. Before I decided to order I read though a lot of his posts and interaction with others. Its hard starting a business up. You are basically ordering a custom part- not from a factory that spits them out. In an ideal world he should have gotten them to you sooner but life happens and it happens alot when you get into the custom realm. If you read up on Jake's post's you can see he isn't one of those guys that takes your money and runs. I've dealt with some guys in the past (not here) who do that and Jake doesn't act that way. He is in it for the long haul. Besides it would be pretty stupid of him to steal your $500 or so. I know $500+ is a big deal to an individual (including myself) but Jake's got 100 times more than that invested in his business. If he kept "stealing" $500 or so from people he would lose the tens of thousands he has invested in his business and probably all he owns (not to mention any legal trouble) in pretty short order. It wouldn't take long. It would be suicide and really dumb. If he sticks with it he's got one of the best solutions for repairing the common problems of a engine that was in production for almost 20 years. If he can stihang in there he can make some pretty good money- there are a lot of Northstars out there. If you can't wait there are always Norm's serts- I'm sure Jake will refund you if you ask him. However in my opinion the studs are a superior design as they only go finger tight in the block- not like tigtening a bolt into a insert which can expand (I think Norm's only have a wall slightly less than 1/8in- probably plenty thick but the studs eliminate any possible problems with that. Either way though Norm's are light years ahead of the Time serts and have good reports as well. Time Serts- what was GM thinking??? Fine concentric threads in aluminum??? Just nuts.

Yeah I know Jake doesn't have any of my money yet but in some ways I wish I had your place in the line:o Best of luck with your Caddy.

I am really not sure why so many people think an insert would expand once a threaded bolt of the proper size is threaded into it. Thats ridiculous. That would only happen with a pipe thread.The inserts are not pipe thread. The inserts are also installed finger tight and locktighted like the studs. We have repaired 155 northstars ,6 of them with stud kits and no pulled inserts or studs and no expanded inserts either. 2 excellent products.

Submariner409
03-20-12, 10:55 PM
Begs the question..........If, say, a Jaguar model was known (in an enthusiast's forum) for rear axle seal leaks, would you change them before each trip to Florida ?? Or if a Lexus model was known under the same information conditions, to crack radiator tanks, would you then change the radiator before each trip to Oregon ?

We all pass cars, sitting by the side of the road with a red police flag/note on the window, every day. We all say "Glad that's not me". Statistically, we're OK for long trips...............of course, there are always shuttle services and public transportation.............

----------

I am really not sure why so many people think an insert would expand once a threaded bolt of the proper size is threaded into
it

^^^...........Many people are not mechanics or machinists - and some "mechanics" are not exactly too swift as we have all seen.

Ranger
03-20-12, 11:01 PM
I suppose it might just be worth doing that, depending on to what degree you lack peace about driving your car... (especially on long road trips). You could make an argument that it's better to do the HG job at a time of your own choosing rather than the car's.
But isn't that's kind of like getting a heart bypass now because I may need it later?

edb150
03-20-12, 11:06 PM
One of my favorite quotes is " i dident bring my crystal ball to work today"

Ranger
03-20-12, 11:11 PM
Mine used to be "My crystal ball is broken".

Faded Crest
03-20-12, 11:24 PM
But isn't that's kind of like getting a heart bypass now because I may need it later?

Yup. I certainly wouldn't do that.

dkozloski
03-20-12, 11:56 PM
I am really not sure why so many people think an insert would expand once a threaded bolt of the proper size is threaded into it. Thats ridiculous. That would only happen with a pipe thread.The inserts are not pipe thread. The inserts are also installed finger tight and locktighted like the studs. We have repaired 155 northstars ,6 of them with stud kits and no pulled inserts or studs and no expanded inserts either. 2 excellent products.Genuine TimeSerts have a shallow internal thread at the bottom so that they will expand as the headbolt is tightened and lock them in place. RTFM.

John.Westlock
03-21-12, 06:04 AM
First off I must admit that I am surprised that some are troubled about someone doing a head gasket on a N* at 30k since it is generally admitted they are prone to problems in that area and no one has a definitive answer as to whether it is the head gasket or the threads which go 1st. Personally I am of the opinion that the threads loosen as they fatique from the thermal/ mechanical stresses which lets a little antifreeze seep in which compunds the problem and voila before you know it you need to repair it (usually way before you know it). Add dexacool to the mix and all bets are off (thankfully 1995 had the green stuff). For all the brilliancy of the engineers at GM that doesn't mean they can't have a dumb idea every now and then- hey we're all human.:cool2: Everyone generally admits they messed up with the head bolt design in the first place and the whole Time Sert in the 2nd place. Sadly all this shouldn't really have been new to them as the aviation industry solved the problem years ago and cast in their inserts (the best way but not really an option for us). Personally I think it was the bean counters who messed it up by saying look we can save 0.0001 cents per car and a million over the entire year. Any of you who have worked under them get the idea.

2nd Since the N* head gaskets from what I have read starts leaking way before you realize it (they don't pop off instantaneously) all the time you aren't aware of it you may have antifreeze leaking into your cylinders. Sure it may be a small amount and burn off quick but your cylinders are designed to be lubricated with oil- antifreeze is not a desirable additive. :nono:Point is no one really knows when the head gaskets start leaking- its tricky on an N* to find out even when you have a serious leak. My point is if you know it is a common problem with these cars. It is just look on CL for starters and you will see a good number for sale with have HG problems (or are trying to hide it). Why wait until you know you are dumping antifreeze into your cylinders and you are xxx miles away from home during winter and have no cell reception in a rural area (I live in a rural area with bad spots so all the above can apply). Not only that but if you push the car with a badly leaking HG you will score the cylinders and possibly create a hydolock situation and after that all bets are off. Yeah it takes a while normally but all the time that antifreeze is leaking into your cylinders and it doesn't decrease over time. Who knows which family member or friend will be driving when it finally bits the dust and dumps a ton of antifreeze in there? I have seen women/ teens drive for miles wondering why that pretty little light on the dash that has a dripping can is on. Usually they find out too late what it is. Personally I think a number of cars that had engines blow up are due to owners ignoring the HG leak and creating a hyrdolock situation as well as scoring the cylinders and leaking antifreeze into the oil. Thats why the 2000+ with smaller wrist pins probably go bad and start knocking more often than the earlier ones or throw the rod through the block. maybe thats just me. :helpless:Could also be less bearing surface though too perhaps- same load less surface area.

3rd Replacing a bad HG is not the same as replacing a radiator. :lol: I have done Hgs on the side of the road and one probably a hundred or more miles from home- no fun (I couldn't afford to have a 7 T truck towed). Problem is I now you can not easily do a N* HG on the side of the road. You can a repair a radiator, replace it or just keep adding fluid until you get were you need to go. I've done it before both ways- it not a problem for me at least- pretty simple repair. I know doing a N* HG would be nigh impossible (well at least incredibly difficult on the side of the road). Any car that is not reliable should not be taken on a long trip unless you absoulutely have to. With all the murders these days I wouldn't want to send anyone I love out in a car that might break down in the middle of the night on a dark deserted road. Round here we have to drive 30 min to the nearest city and there are a lot of rural roads in between.

4th The car is not mint. We inherited it from a relative who was fooled by shade tree mechanics- really shady ones. For instance charged her $400 in parts (not including labor) to do a tune up. No clue why it was really needed. Anyways all he did was replace the plugs and wires with cheap Advance Auto parts (nothing against Advance Auto but they didn't cost anywhere near $400). Didn't even wire it up right (wrong wire to wrong cylinders) and i suspect didn't even realize to gap the plugs. :thepan::thepan::thepan::bonkers:To top it off whoever did the tires last cracked the rocker moldings by jacking in the middle of the car and on the plastic. Too lazy to jack it where it should have been and trying to save all of 5 min. :bonkers::thepan:To say the least not impressed with their workmanship on the car. I work on cars a lot and have had to cut corners in emergency repairs but never would even do something so stupid as jack the car up in the middle- especially on a unibody car of all things. No- the car was not maintained very well for some years now. Its more of an act of love since she was so proud of the car and bought it new years ago. She would not have wanted to see it get destroyed. She died tragically and we miss her. It was either save it or sell it and the highest someone offered was $600- its only the base model. That should give you a pretty good idea of the current condition. By the way if anyone near upstate NY has a decent black hood, rockers, black rear seat or even parts car I would be interested. Besides around here we prefer to work while its warm out- no heat in the barns. Working in the slush and sub zero tempetures under a car isn't something I care to do anymore. You get tired of it after awhile and only remember it for bragging rights. Winter places a lot of stresses on cars and they often fail around that time of year. I have had those :devil: Ford Tempos :devil:crack their heads around that time of year (common problem again). If I had known of the issue I would have fixed the weakness earlier than just figure shucks if it isn't broken why fix it. :nono: As it was it could have cost me my job at the time and was a nightmare.:banghead:

Yes its my 1st N* but I have worked on and owned a good number of cars over the years. To date I have done all the work on them myself. That goes from replacing an engine/ transmission (converted to a BB/ TH400- pretty simple actually), a few HGs, down to changing tires when I have to. Trust me the ones on my XM215 aren't easy and there are 10 of them and to have them done isn't cheap. :bonkers: While I may not be the greatest mechanic I'd have to say I can pretty much fix any car if I have to given the time and proper tools (and manual of course). I don't do cob jobs and know how to spot one.

As far as machinist no I am not- but my father is and he also agrees that the studs are superior for multiple reasons. Trust me we talked the pros and cons out for some time before deciding. I do have some inkling of what I am talking about and am not entirely an idiot on the subject at hand. As far as inserts expanding it all depends on the material they are made of, how thick they are with the interior/ exterior thread alignment also playing a part. So yes it is pretty common knowedge that certain inserts can expand- how much depends on certain variables..

John.Westlock
03-21-12, 06:17 AM
Let me say one thing about inserts expanding. After the bolt stops going down and starts tightening that it is going to pull on the insert. As it pulls on the insert think of the threads as angled planes. Since the bolt isn't going down it will now pull up on the threads. As it does so the angled planes will want to slide aprt due to the thread pitch. All that is keeping them from doing so is the outer wall. The thickness of the outer wall of the insert is critical to make sure the insert doesn't expand. The thinner the outer wall the more the insert will expand. The thicker the more likely it will be able to overcome the force from the inclined planes (thread pitch) pushing out. If you keep tightening then either the threads will strip (inclined planes become flat), the bolt snaps (threads were stronger than the bolt) or the insert expands (inclined planes slip past eachother). So yes it is a pretty simple concept and yes certain inserts can expand and in fact some are designed to- just not good for the N* block. No the insert will not expand until the bolt starts pulling on it. Then again the head bolts are put in much tighter than finger tight into the inserts.:thepan: You don't need to be a machinist to understand that. :helpless:

I am sure Norm's are good and will end up using them if I can not get the studs from Jake. :hmm: However, from my research Norms have a wall a little less than 1/8in thick- not mentioning the depth of the threads. It also sounds like Norm was limited by the thickness of the block and the diameter of the head bolts. I would have prefered them to be thicker but I doubt the N* block could handle that as it seems Jake is using the same diameter (I have my reasons for thinking that- using a different diameter would have been better when making a patent claim possibly). I concur that Norm's are probably thick enough to prevent expansion- I have not bothered to have the stresses calculated and hear he is an excellent machinist. If there is any then it is probably minimal. I am sure Norm designed them to do a good job. However, any bolt is going to put immense force on the interior if you tighten according to specs. The studs will have no such stress as they are one piece. Those N* blocks are weak to begin with- cracks are not unheard of. :shhh: On top of that simpler is always better if it can do the same job just as well. On top of that you can break bolts off inside the inserts (not a problem with the inserts themselves I know). I never heard of anyone breaking the studs as the stresses of the whole design are different. Sorry but it is a known concern that the Time serts (which are inserts) are inherently weak and can expand. My father explains it so much better than I do- sorry about that. :helpless: There are other reasons why I prefer the studs. Yes its probably over kill but that way the car will be bullet proof and dependable years from now- which is a definite requirement upon my part. We plan on keeping it in the family as long as possible and taking it on long trips to visit family and friends. Thats why I am also considering Cometic Gaskets. Yep its over kill but never heard of any of them failing and have heard Jake was not happy with the newer Felpro gaskets. Better to be safe than think you know man I should have not been cheap on the HGs while your on the side of the road in the winter. :bouncy: Besides I always liked over designing things rather than miminal design methods. To each their own I guess.

As far as Norm's failing. Yes its very rare but I have heard others on the forums mention they heard of a failure or two. The speculation was that it was due to installation error. If that was so it probably was due to not clearancing them and they may have been sticking up a tad, not drilled straight or the block was pretty far gone. I have no experience with it and was just mentioning what was out there. As I said I may purchase them if I can't get the studs and they are light years ahead of Time Serts. :cool: Norm's a great guy and his inserts are a good product as well from what I hear- just there is something better than inserts out there now. Thats my whole reasoning. Now that I am done. :hide: :hide::helpless:

Dwillv As far as Jake being around for a few years- I think I first surfaced around 2007 or so with the studs but really didn't start marketing them till 2009 or so. So in my category still a relatively new business. I guess as a family due to the building custom stuff (my father made a lot of the parts he wanted for his bike that no one else sells) we're more used to dealing with custom items so the wait isn't so much so much a problem since we realize you can run into problems. That stuff can take time. My only concern for Jake is he keeps saying next week/ next week and not keeping his deadlines. I think Jake might want to be a little more generous to himself in regards to his deadlines and then make sure he meet them. Then again I haven't walked in his shoes and don't really no his personal situation. No one else makes the studs, they are not something you can't make easily (at least right) without special equipment and Jake has a great price- about the same as I see people asking for ARP (which won't repair the HG issue on the N*). Only the bigger machine shops or a few lucky machinists have the equipment Jake has to make these studs. Its not your average lathe, etc from what I hear. Besides at less than $10 a stud its not worth it to set up make them yourself manually and buy the tooling/ stock. My only concern would be that he goes out of business and wouldn't be able to fulfill all his contracts in a timely manner though I am sure he would do his best. It happens to a lot of comapanies and more so lately. Poston just went out of business a few years ago. They had a lot of nice hard to find parts for Buicks but changed ownership and couldn't make it. Too bad- they did leave a number of people hanging :nono:- thats why you should pay with a credit card for any online/ distance purchases (just in case). However, by posting all over to give him a bad rep might help do that if thats what you want. He promised everyone a refund if they wanted so if the money is such an issue than I'd suggest you take him up on it. If he doesn't pay you then you can go around saying he is dishonest. However, until then if its the studs you want I'd suggest you settle it with him (though sometimes it does seem the only way people can contact him is through the forums). Yes he has taken longer than he promised. No thats not good. And no he hasn't robbed you since he offered a refund. If he refuses to refund you that would be a different story. My family has been dealing online for some years now and have an idea when someone is trying to cheat us. There's certain cues to look for. Jake doesn't have any I've seen- if anything goes too far out of his way to help people which can make it difficult to fufill other obligations. Hope it works out for you and you get the studs soon though.

----------

And back to the original topic. I know you said to call instead of post but Jake whats a good time to call? Yesterday the phone recording says call yesterday? Last week something similar. :helpless: Any idea of wait time on any new orders not paid for yet? I'd like to plan my job out ahead of time. Please don't be afraid to give me a pessimistic delivery date- in case. Thanks I appreciate it.

Faded Crest
03-21-12, 09:25 AM
I could only skim over all of that, but I didn't see you state whether the head gaskets have actually failed already or if this is indeed "preventative maintenance". But how can you possibly be surprised that people would be "troubled" by a head gasket replacement at 30K?... When it's not even a definite that it will ever even happen? Many Northstars go well over 200K and never develop head gasket problems... Especially 1995's, which are reported to be some of the best ones. And as far as the block thread issue, there has never been a consensus over why that happens either... i.e. what fails first, the threads or the head gaskets?

And as far as hearing about Norm's inserts failing, be careful what you read, believe, and repeat... I remember reading about that too, but I also remember a stern rebuttal and a demand of proof of the failure, which was never given.

maeng9981
03-21-12, 11:00 AM
FWIW, I had all 20 bolts intact and still correctly torqued, yet the head gaskets went south and "rusted" to death.

Jake had an update on his website today saying that the orders are getting straightened out.

usmc99
03-22-12, 07:19 PM
SO, when can I expect that tracking number i was promised? sorry for the lack of patience, but those shop storage fees are starting to pile.

tateos
03-22-12, 08:41 PM
Nothing against Jake and his product - a great solution - but if you doubt Norm's inserts, know that I snapped a head bolt using Norms (my fault - turned too many degrees). The insert and its hold on the block is stronger than the head bolts...assuming you don't have a block with powdery metal or voids. Again, Jake's solution is great, but if not available, Norm's worked well for me. On the other hand, from what I've seen and read, the Time Serts don't seem nearly as good

dkozloski
03-22-12, 08:46 PM
Let me say one thing about inserts expanding. After the bolt stops going down and starts tightening that it is going to pull on the insert. As it pulls on the insert think of the threads as angled planes. Since the bolt isn't going down it will now pull up on the threads. As it does so the angled planes will want to slide aprt due to the thread pitch. All that is keeping them from doing so is the outer wall. The thickness of the outer wall of the insert is critical to make sure the insert doesn't expand. The thinner the outer wall the more the insert will expand. The thicker the more likely it will be able to overcome the force from the inclined planes (thread pitch) pushing out. If you keep tightening then either the threads will strip (inclined planes become flat), the bolt snaps (threads were stronger than the bolt) or the insert expands (inclined planes slip past eachother). So yes it is a pretty simple concept and yes certain inserts can expand and in fact some are designed to- just not good for the N* block. No the insert will not expand until the bolt starts pulling on it. Then again the head bolts are put in much tighter than finger tight into the inserts.:thepan: You don't need to be a machinist to understand that. :helpless:

I am sure Norm's are good and will end up using them if I can not get the studs from Jake. :hmm: However, from my research Norms have a wall a little less than 1/8in thick- not mentioning the depth of the threads. It also sounds like Norm was limited by the thickness of the block and the diameter of the head bolts. I would have prefered them to be thicker but I doubt the N* block could handle that as it seems Jake is using the same diameter (I have my reasons for thinking that- using a different diameter would have been better when making a patent claim possibly). I concur that Norm's are probably thick enough to prevent expansion- I have not bothered to have the stresses calculated and hear he is an excellent machinist. If there is any then it is probably minimal. I am sure Norm designed them to do a good job. However, any bolt is going to put immense force on the interior if you tighten according to specs. The studs will have no such stress as they are one piece. Those N* blocks are weak to begin with- cracks are not unheard of. :shhh: On top of that simpler is always better if it can do the same job just as well. On top of that you can break bolts off inside the inserts (not a problem with the inserts themselves I know). I never heard of anyone breaking the studs as the stresses of the whole design are different. Sorry but it is a known concern that the Time serts (which are inserts) are inherently weak and can expand. My father explains it so much better than I do- sorry about that. :helpless: There are other reasons why I prefer the studs. Yes its probably over kill but that way the car will be bullet proof and dependable years from now- which is a definite requirement upon my part. We plan on keeping it in the family as long as possible and taking it on long trips to visit family and friends. Thats why I am also considering Cometic Gaskets. Yep its over kill but never heard of any of them failing and have heard Jake was not happy with the newer Felpro gaskets. Better to be safe than think you know man I should have not been cheap on the HGs while your on the side of the road in the winter. :bouncy: Besides I always liked over designing things rather than miminal design methods. To each their own I guess.

As far as Norm's failing. Yes its very rare but I have heard others on the forums mention they heard of a failure or two. The speculation was that it was due to installation error. If that was so it probably was due to not clearancing them and they may have been sticking up a tad, not drilled straight or the block was pretty far gone. I have no experience with it and was just mentioning what was out there. As I said I may purchase them if I can't get the studs and they are light years ahead of Time Serts. :cool: Norm's a great guy and his inserts are a good product as well from what I hear- just there is something better than inserts out there now. Thats my whole reasoning. Now that I am done. :hide: :hide::helpless:

Dwillv As far as Jake being around for a few years- I think I first surfaced around 2007 or so with the studs but really didn't start marketing them till 2009 or so. So in my category still a relatively new business. I guess as a family due to the building custom stuff (my father made a lot of the parts he wanted for his bike that no one else sells) we're more used to dealing with custom items so the wait isn't so much so much a problem since we realize you can run into problems. That stuff can take time. My only concern for Jake is he keeps saying next week/ next week and not keeping his deadlines. I think Jake might want to be a little more generous to himself in regards to his deadlines and then make sure he meet them. Then again I haven't walked in his shoes and don't really no his personal situation. No one else makes the studs, they are not something you can't make easily (at least right) without special equipment and Jake has a great price- about the same as I see people asking for ARP (which won't repair the HG issue on the N*). Only the bigger machine shops or a few lucky machinists have the equipment Jake has to make these studs. Its not your average lathe, etc from what I hear. Besides at less than $10 a stud its not worth it to set up make them yourself manually and buy the tooling/ stock. My only concern would be that he goes out of business and wouldn't be able to fulfill all his contracts in a timely manner though I am sure he would do his best. It happens to a lot of comapanies and more so lately. Poston just went out of business a few years ago. They had a lot of nice hard to find parts for Buicks but changed ownership and couldn't make it. Too bad- they did leave a number of people hanging :nono:- thats why you should pay with a credit card for any online/ distance purchases (just in case). However, by posting all over to give him a bad rep might help do that if thats what you want. He promised everyone a refund if they wanted so if the money is such an issue than I'd suggest you take him up on it. If he doesn't pay you then you can go around saying he is dishonest. However, until then if its the studs you want I'd suggest you settle it with him (though sometimes it does seem the only way people can contact him is through the forums). Yes he has taken longer than he promised. No thats not good. And no he hasn't robbed you since he offered a refund. If he refuses to refund you that would be a different story. My family has been dealing online for some years now and have an idea when someone is trying to cheat us. There's certain cues to look for. Jake doesn't have any I've seen- if anything goes too far out of his way to help people which can make it difficult to fufill other obligations. Hope it works out for you and you get the studs soon though.

----------

And back to the original topic. I know you said to call instead of post but Jake whats a good time to call? Yesterday the phone recording says call yesterday? Last week something similar. :helpless: Any idea of wait time on any new orders not paid for yet? I'd like to plan my job out ahead of time. Please don't be afraid to give me a pessimistic delivery date- in case. Thanks I appreciate it.
As I said before; TimeSerts are machined with the bottom threads on the inside cut shallower than the rest. When the bolt is run all the way through it bottoms in the shallow threads and forces the insert to expand and lock itself into place. Take a new insert in one hand and a bolt in the other. There is no way in hell you are going to be able to screw the bolt all the way through the insert without tools. Read the TimeSert instruction sheet. Some kits had a tool that you were supposed to run through the inserts after you screwed them into the block to set the inserts and before installing the bolts.

Ranger
03-22-12, 10:28 PM
:yeah:
They get swagged in place at the bottom to lock them in.

dkozloski
03-23-12, 12:44 AM
Swaged?

RippyPartsDept
03-23-12, 09:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaging
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaging)

Swaging (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Loudspeaker.svg/11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png / (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English)ˈ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English#Key)s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English#Key)w (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English#Key)eɪ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English#Key)dʒ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English#Key)/ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English), pronunciation note below (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaging#Pronunciation_note)) is a forging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging) process in which the dimensions of an item are altered using a die (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_(manufacturing)) or dies, into which the item is forced.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaging#cite_note-0) Swaging is usually a cold working (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_working) process; however, it is sometimes done as a hot working (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_working) process.[2]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swaging#cite_note-1)The term swage can apply to the process of swaging (verb), or to a die or tool used for swaging (noun).

John.Westlock
03-23-12, 02:45 PM
Yeah sorry about the 10mile post-I can be long winded at times. Thanks for the info on Norm's inserts. Sounds like they are strong enough to do the job- walls must be thick enough. What proof was asked for that wasn't provided in those 2 cases/ complaints? I can't seem to find the thread. However, depending on the proof asked for it may not have been easy to show- if they still had the car even. On the other hand I know there are some scammers online who sometimes try to black mail sellers with bad publicity to get the parts for free. Maybe thats what was going on? Are the inserts more touchy to install than the studs (ie alignment/ depth)?

As far as some cars going 200k without any problems- I know that can happen. Then again the consens seems to be around 25% don't. I rather not take a chance on it. Its a known problem so unlike the factory I'd rather fix it permanently to make sure there is no chance of it happening. I have seen a few other 95 Eldos much cleaner than mine with HG issues too though. Some people may like to play Russian Roulette. Personally I'm not much a gambler and besides my luck isn't too good.

Thanks maeng9981- I think I'll go with the cometic just in case then. One question though- were you using the dreaded orange anitfreeze or the green stuff? The extra $250 or so is worth the peace of mind to me as it insn't so easy to change the HG (especially with studs) and I wouldn't want the aluminum around the inserts to corrode either. Yeah I know a lot of guys have been using the Felpro but if their QC isn't so well lately and if the factory style gaskets are issue prone then I'd rather avoid it.

Time Serts :nono: swagged into an aluminum block might work if you have no major stresses and thick enough castins in that spot. However as the N* blocks (at least some of them) sound like they crack a bit easy probably anot a good idea. Great engine from what I hear though if GM had fixed some of the issues. Too bad they dropped it and didn't.

Faded Crest
03-23-12, 03:01 PM
Yeah sorry about the 10mile post-I can be long winded at times. Thanks for the info on Norm's inserts. Sounds like they are strong enough to do the job- walls must be thick enough. What proof was asked for that wasn't provided in those 2 cases/ complaints? I can't seem to find the thread. However, depending on the proof asked for it may not have been easy to show- if they still had the car even. On the other hand I know there are some scammers online who sometimes try to black mail sellers with bad publicity to get the parts for free. Maybe thats what was going on? Are the inserts more touchy to install than the studs (ie alignment/ depth)?

That was my point... Proof was asked for but none was given. There is absolutely no reason to doubt Norms as a 100% permanent solution equal or superior to studding. As far as what thread it was, I don't really want to stir that pot as sensitive as this subject has become lately. Suffice it to say that a very well respected forum member who is also a full-time ASE Cadillac mechanic fully endorses Norm's and recommended I go with them.

RippyPartsDept
03-23-12, 05:18 PM
i've said it before and i'll say it again:

we use TimeFastener BigSerts ... from the same company that the original inserts but a beefier product
as far as I know they're very similar to norm's serts
they work great ... we haven't had any 'sert-related failures since we switched to them years and years ago
(which was around the time we started getting 'sert-related failures from the original repair)

i think the repair itself (who does it and how work, etc) is much more important that which strategy you choose to take (norms, bigserts, studs)

lynbr
03-23-12, 06:28 PM
do u have jakes new number? been tryna get studs for weeks....

Submariner409
03-23-12, 08:32 PM
At this point you might be better off talking to Norm........ www.huhnsolutions.com. Apparently, Jake is still playing catch-up ball.

lynbr
03-23-12, 10:23 PM
haha thanks for the info

dwillv
03-25-12, 11:42 PM
my studs r suppose to b on there way, thank god 16 to 17 weeks since i ordered them online. we will c if they show up ups siad they have a delivery date set for the 29th

John.Westlock
03-26-12, 12:49 AM
Glad to hear that dwillv- sorry to hear you were waiting that long. Let us know when you get them.

Know a little bit of how you feel. Some guy on a well known auction site is trying to scam me on some Eldo parts I bought. Badly cracked when he said the grill wasn't- not shipping damage. Told me he'd give me $20 off and to superglue it. If I wanted a cracked grill I wouldn't have bought another one.:suspect: Hopefully the claims process will work out. Stinks- I sent him a second order via Paypal also (he had good feedback and lots of it). Oh well live and learn. Been 2 weeks or so and still no Tracking number or replies anymore. I have a feeling its not coming- at least in one piece. Communicating with him though you can tell he is a shyster- especially since he is now ignoring me and relisted the item without having it sent back to him yet. Could be worse I suppose.

Jake is a stand up guy though from what it seems. No scammer goes out of his way to help guys that he doesn't have to- just ask Vincent. His problem seems to be he gets buried. Big enough to have a lot of orders and small enough to have trouble filling those orders- especially when there are glitches. Then again thats the bane of starting off a new business. Its real easy to bite off more than you can chew no matter how good your intentions are. I'm going to try to hang on for a week or so myself for the studs but if I can't get them in a few weeks I might just order from Norm's. I'd really like the studs but seems that there are no issues with Norm's either though. I'd liketo have the car ready to make an 10hr/ 11hr trip sometime next month to visit friends and family down South and want to have it ready if possible by then. That and maybe I can pick up another hood on the way there or back.

I'd rather not ride my motorcycle (only other vehicle ready) on the Jersey Turnpike. From my experience some of the people who drive on it have a death wish (either their own or someone else's).

RippyPartsDept
03-26-12, 10:04 AM
hey john... how did you get so many posts???

CadillacLuke24
03-26-12, 12:04 PM
:yeah: If that's an accurate number, you deserve an award. HOLY HIGH NUMBER OF POSTS BATMAN!! :D

RippyPartsDept
03-26-12, 12:47 PM
yeah i've seen a few members with post counts like that ... some sort of bug ...

Ranger
03-26-12, 01:40 PM
It is some sort of glitch. He's not the first.

John.Westlock
03-26-12, 06:59 PM
Guess I'm one of the priveleged ones lol. :cool: All kidding aside I was wondering about it myself. I joined the forum years ago looking for info on modding the 500/ 472 ci Caddy engines but never posted much. I only got into it again when we inherited the 95 Eldo- not quite like the engines I'm used to working on. My post count should be no where near what it says. I always think its funny when I see it though.

usmc99
03-26-12, 10:03 PM
my studs r suppose to b on there way, thank god 16 to 17 weeks since i ordered them online. we will c if they show up ups siad they have a delivery date set for the 29th

did you receive a tracking # ? if so, was it emailed to you? sorry to pry but we're in the same situation and I'm just trying to get some info because i'm clearly not getting anything from Jake.
the situation have created a bit of a tiff between me and the Mrs and im desperate for some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.

ThumperPup
03-27-12, 12:09 AM
dang i want that many posts lol

----------

:postwhore:

97EldoCoupe
03-27-12, 01:46 PM
I can't begin to express my apologies to my customers. The big mistake I made is not throwing the towel in long ago.

All customers who don't call VISA and issue chargebacks, will get their stud kit. That's a GUARANTEE and a promise and as QUICKLY as I possibly can.

I am forced to make one final decision and that decision will be made this week. The best outcome is that I stay in business and the stud kits will continue to be sold. The worst outcome is that I am limiting my studs to my own use and will be moving the shop back to Southern Ontario; and only fixing the cars. I was doing good when that's all I was doing.

I am down with the flu right now (honest to God) but I will continue to try to work as best as I can. But if I DO stay in business; the only way I will is if I can say for sure; and I believe I can; that by XX/XX/XX date:

1. If you call my office; you will always get a live person right aways;
2. If you order a part or a stud kit; it's shipping out within 24 hours;
3. Quality will be that of which I am proud to ship;
4. A guarantee that this kit will fix your Northstar for good.

Now I know you've all heard a lot of talk from me in the past. Talk is worthless. It really is. But I am heavily motivated. Nobody goes through the amount of shit that I have just to say "it's over". I have all I need to work with; but still working with very limited funds.

Not one bank was willing to invest into my product or could see the potential behind it; the need for it. I was forced to do a lot of things from pure sweat and blood. I wish someone could stand in my shoes for one day and see what I have been faced with.

I will not be coming back on here until I have good news for y'all. I'm not a complainer. I have my cards in my hand and I am using them to the best possible outcome for my customers first, myself and my family last. Just please sit tight for a couple more days.

----------

I have decided that later tonight I will set up a facebook account for Northstar Performance. It is a very handy; indirect means of communication that will help me stay on top of things and help keep communication open at all times; no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Pete1996
03-27-12, 07:12 PM
Jake, since you are almost a one man operation I'd like to suggest that you guarantee shipping in 72 hours to give yourself time to think, with a best effort to ship within 24-48. Then offer expedited shipping within 24 hrs for say $100 extra. This way if 10 orders come in on one day, you get the expedited out right away, and then have a day or two to get the others together and shipped. When you've expanded and have a shipping department then go for 24 hrs. Of course this assumes that you work things out and we all hope that you do.

John.Westlock
03-28-12, 03:59 AM
:welcome: Great to hear from you again Jake. Agree if facebook will make it easier to keep everyone updated then go with it. I think Pete1996 has a good point- don't over do it. Give yourself some time. If people can't wait an extra day or 2 then let them pay extra. Otherwise you may be running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to finish everything by the time you promised. ;)

Best to give yourself some extra time just in case. If things happen to move quicker then your customers will be real happy. If they don't but ship out by the deadline they'll still be pretty happy- its a win win situation. Our family sells online a bit and we always say that it'll take a few days to ship something out (though it rarely does). Usually our customers are real happy since they didn't expect to get it so soon. However, if they get it on the deadline then they're still pretty happy.

"dang i want that many posts lol"

Yeah I must say i sort of want to drool over it eveytime I see it too. :D

----------

Hope you keep making the studs Jake.

Might want to slow down and charge more though if that would help. I think people would pay more (hey they are one piece studs and the stud/ insert package costs around $430 minimum). If you put people on a 5 day waiting list I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how many people will still buy them and you don't have to burn yourself out. So long as they get it when its promised. Then you'll have more time to repair the cars like you've been doing. That and if you run into any problems make sure you let people know it might be much longer to ship their studs out before they order. Maybe stop taking orders if you can (I know it might not be an option in your case).Then people won't get so scared and you won't be buried in catch up work. Holding yourself to a 24hr ship date might not be realistic or could be problematic under certain situations. 5 star customer service doesn't require such quick shipping dates. Some major companies don't even ship out that quick. Besides its not like there is a lot of competition for you- you have a niche market.

Hope you feel better and get over the flu soon- take care of yourself.

tateos
03-29-12, 08:13 PM
Don't give up, Jake...or at the very least, don't give up permanently - just put things on hold until you get enough funds to do what you want and need to do - then jump back in. Unless you can say that the business proposition is not viable, you've got too much into this thing to throw it all away.

dwillv
03-29-12, 09:32 PM
Jake - I dont have a VISA chargeback and I still dont have my stud kit. The only thing i got was a ups shipping label for 3/29 and a tracking #. ALL I HAVE IS BROKEN DOWN CADDY IN MY DRIVE WAY. i have been patient. my patience has run out. this is really a big let down and dont no what to do now. wait and wait and wait or start trying to get my money back. really disapointed getting to the point i wish i never bought this caddy and just let it where i found it. im out 4000 dollars and no hope of fixing this car n site i guess i will just have to look at other ways to fix the car.no parts were delivered to track.

Faded Crest
03-29-12, 10:17 PM
You can check tracking numbers through the UPS website...

http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/track?loc=en_CB

Bubba68CS
03-29-12, 11:00 PM
Jake - I dont have a VISA chargeback and I still dont have my stud kit. The only thing i got was a ups shipping label for 3/29 and a tracking #. ALL I HAVE IS BROKEN DOWN CADDY IN MY DRIVE WAY. i have been patient. my patience has run out. this is really a big let down and dont no what to do now. wait and wait and wait or start trying to get my money back. really disapointed getting to the point i wish i never bought this caddy and just let it where i found it. im out 4000 dollars and no hope of fixing this car n site i guess i will just have to look at other ways to fix the car.no parts were delivered to track.

If you have a shipping number...its on UPS...not Jake. Check the tracking to see where your package is.

Submariner409
03-30-12, 03:06 PM
Once you have a tracking number, the item in question is in the hands of UPS. Depending on your zone (distance) from the original UPS pickup point it can take up to 5 business days (not Saturday or Sunday), ground, for a shipment to arrive once it gets into the tracking system in the continental U.S..

dwillv
03-30-12, 07:05 PM
all he did was to tell ups to send me notice and tracking # of intent to ship on the 29th posted on the 21st but he never got the parts to ups for shipment so ups has nothing to ship really felling ripped off

ups tells they r wiating for his parts to b shipped

Submariner409
03-30-12, 08:03 PM
Posts #106, 107, 108. Enter your tracking number (the one you received in Post #105) into the field on the UPS tracking site and that should give you a delivery date.

CadillacLuke24
03-30-12, 08:26 PM
ups tells they r wiating for his parts to b shipped

That means the numbnuts at UPS haven't processed it yet. UPS isn't govt., but they are unionized, so they're almost as bad.

Ranger
03-30-12, 10:07 PM
but they are unionized, so they're almost as bad.

That's a pretty general observation. :tisk:

Faded Crest
03-30-12, 10:17 PM
I really like our local UPS driver, he's a great guy... But UPS in general absolutely sucks! I ship for a living and have had all kinds of trouble with them. After the final straw with them I switched to Fedex Ground. Since then, UPS has lost about $60,000 of my business because of their incompetence and lack of professionalism.

eyewonder
03-30-12, 11:37 PM
Then offer expedited shipping within 24 hrs for say $100 extra.

As a potential customer, my unsolicited,and free advise to Jake on extra cost expedited delivery : DON'T.

I really don't want some over-funded, impatient, whining primadona to get a kit before me, thus delaying my delivery, just because he has more discretionary income that I do .

My feeling is if you need a kit, take a number and wait your turn in line. Just like I have to.

Cheers,
Steve

RippyPartsDept
03-30-12, 11:48 PM
I'm with eyewonder jake.

Also. We use ups pretty much exclusively. Not really any problems except weather stuff which you can't really blame them for.

Faded Crest
03-31-12, 12:31 AM
My problem with UPS has been damaged goods and their refusal to pay claims. For a stretch of a few months, literally half of the items that I received that were delivered by UPS were damaged. I'm not kidding... 50% of the items I received were damaged to some degree. I begged people sending me items to use anybody but UPS. Even USPS was better. I don't know if it was just a local problem or what, but it was unbelievable!

The final straw was their refusal to honor a claim for a $750 piece of equipment I shipped to a customer in PA. It was handled so roughly that the cast steel frame of the machine was broken. I packed it extremely well, but they still managed to destroy it. I actually happened to take that particular item to Office Depot to ship because I was out of town and shipped it while I was on the go. UPS gave me the runaround for weeks! I had to file the claim 3 different times because they kept claiming they couldn't find the paperwork. During the same time, I sent my customer a replacement machine, taking care of him personally while I battled with UPS for the claim.

Eventually UPS simply told me that I was not their customer at all since I had shipped from Office Dept! Can you believe that? They basically told me point blank to go away! Ironically, this was my way out... I relayed this information to the Office Depot manager (who was sick of me by this time) and demanded that he pay the claim based on the fact that I was their customer and not UPS's customer. I was persistent and they finally gave me the $750 out of their safe! Like I said, Fedex has been the recipient of my $60,000+ of shipping business since that fiasco!

vincentm
03-31-12, 01:26 AM
UPS is pronounced Oops

Ranger
03-31-12, 01:30 PM
I've had just the opposite experience. Fed-X delivered a package (a set of A/C gauges) and rested it against the garage door right in line with the tire tracks (coincidence?) so that when my wife hit the door button from inside the car, the door raised and the package fell flat, then she unknowing backed over it. When I called Fed-X to complain I was told I was an idiot for driving over it (short version). They eventually paid the claim and in the end I got more than I paid for the Harbor Freight Chinese version and was able to purchase a quality Master Cool set with money left over. UPS on the other hand will leave my packages on the front porch, out of harms way.

Faded Crest
03-31-12, 02:46 PM
It certainly depends on the local folks with each carrier service... Like I said, my UPS guy is great, but who knows what kind of crushing machine UPS puts packages through before he gets them. LOL. But I have heard bad things about all of them. My philosophy when I ship is to pack things to survive at least an 8 foot drop onto solid concrete.

CadillacLuke24
03-31-12, 05:57 PM
My bad Ranger, I digress. :D It does certainly depend on the area. UPS in Gillette, WY seems to be run by the juvenile delinquints. My Dad would always get stuff damaged from them, and have a pain in the ass of a time trying to straighten things out. Now he uses so much bubble wrps it's been said that Del-packed items will survive Nuclear Holocaust :D. UPS down here is great tho. Always get my Jeff Gordon diecasts just fine, no problem.

Submariner409
03-31-12, 10:50 PM
Everyone has either one or more UPS or FedEx shipping horror stories. In my case, UPS absolutely destroyed a $2500 tube stereo amplifier sent for upgrade a few years ago - that took some real fighting and pictures to get them to pay a claim - UPS is a multi-billion dollar a year operation, so your little $2750 claim is not worth considering - from their point of view.......(You don't like UPS ?: Go somewhere else). But.........they may have an out: Until that package gets on their truck, they have no responsibility. The packer or middleman who takes your (and UPS') money may well have used an elephant with an address stamp on its feet to mark your box...............I have also received some incredibly damaged goods shipped via UPS. FedEx has, for me, a better track record - not perfect, but a LOT better.

dwillv
04-02-12, 07:37 PM
well ups still has no parts from that northstar no performance operation n canada i could have filed those parts by hand buy now and shipped them via snail shell. i had advise anybody looking four studs to fix ur caddy look elsewhere northstar is not ur answer unless u have a year to wait for ur parts. good luck to any other of u poor souls that been had by jake and still waiting never meet the fellow but i sure im learning to hate him.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-02-12, 07:57 PM
His website states "Update: March 30, 2012: Expect good news on Monday April 2nd 2012. Really good news :) "

Bubba68CS
04-02-12, 08:31 PM
well ups still has no parts from that northstar no performance operation n canada i could have filed those parts by hand buy now and shipped them via snail shell. i had advise anybody looking four studs to fix ur caddy look elsewhere northstar is not ur answer unless u have a year to wait for ur parts. good luck to any other of u poor souls that been had by jake and still waiting never meet the fellow but i sure im learning to hate him.

You have no other option for studs without inserts. You did/do have the option for Norms inserts. You've been complaining about this longer than it took me to research and diagnose my problem, research diy, shops, and the differences between studs and norms inserts, tow my car 300 miles, have Joe fix the head gaskets, replace all of the lower end seals, and put it back together, drive back to pick it up, and enjoy it for a couple of days thus far with absolutely no issues. You could have done the same...instead it seems you prefer to complain over and over and over...

You are dealing with a one man custom operation...not Walmart.

ThumperPup
04-02-12, 09:09 PM
i only ship UPS when i have to ship something back to amazon they use ups if not usps

other wise i have my account with Fed-ex and have never had a issue with them on claims or shipping
now i have had to file a few claims over the years but they pay out with no issue

vincentm
04-02-12, 09:44 PM
You are dealing with a one man custom operation...not Walmart.

Yea but I'm starting to see his reason for frustration (unless he's gotten them and is lying to us) in that he's been waiting for months now.

Bubba68CS
04-02-12, 11:15 PM
Yea but I'm starting to see his reason for frustration (unless he's gotten them and is lying to us) in that he's been waiting for months now.

He has been waiting months by choice. I had the same options he did 2 weeks ago when I found out my gaskets were toast. He could have taken his business elsewhere months ago when the supply issue became apparent. He chose to stay with studs...make your bed, you'd better be willing to sleep in it. Rather than spamming a forum, he could have taken action...gotten his car fixed with other proven methods, and been spending his time enjoying the car.

I had to wait 8 months to get reproduction seat covers for my Cutlass Supreme...so I know what its like. I could have chosen 442 covers and gotten them faster. I chose to wait for what I wanted. I didnt complain about MY CHOICE...I made it, I lived with it.

Faded Crest
04-02-12, 11:33 PM
Unfortunate situation... In the guy's defense, I believe he's a very young guy and paid for the studs in full without knowing there would be this kind of wait. He probably can't afford to buy more inserts from Norm.

But posting complaints over and over isn't cool, and getting an attitude with other members is definitely not cool. This is not a hotline to vendors, even if the vendor is a sponsor. Starting one thread about it is enough, any more is immature and annoying to the rest of us.

mtn eldo
04-03-12, 12:37 AM

Calling dwillv's integrity into question is completely out of line. I too placed an order through Jakes website. He called me within hours to comfirm the order and process the charge. This was at the beginning of February when he claimed that everything was in stock. He told me, and I quote, "Your parts will ship today. Let's keep those old Cadillacs running." After a month of no return calls, no invoice and no tracking number I reversed the charge with the credit card company. I am not young. I am not broke. And I am relieved that I decided not to wait it out. Normserts will be just fine.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 02:14 AM
I think Norms will be more than fine. I plan to use those on my repair. :thumbsup:

BTW, I think you completely misread the tone of Vincent's post. If anything, he was defending the kid.

mtn eldo
04-03-12, 12:04 PM
I think Norms will be more than fine. I plan to use those on my repair. :thumbsup:

BTW, I think you completely misread the tone of Vincent's post. If anything, he was defending the kid.

Faded Crest, I completely agree and I didn't mean for my post to sound angry or terse. It just seemed like good timing and the right thread to post my experience as there really is a pattern of charging for goods not shipped.

I couldn't help but notice that the "really good news" expected yesterday still hasn't posted.:bonkers:

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-03-12, 12:24 PM
His website states "Update: March 30, 2012: Expect good news on Monday April 2nd 2012. Really good news :) "
He never posted the "good news".

Bubba68CS
04-03-12, 12:29 PM
I too placed an order through Jakes website. He called me within hours to comfirm the order and process the charge. This was at the beginning of February when he claimed that everything was in stock. He told me, and I quote, "Your parts will ship today. Let's keep those old Cadillacs running." After a month of no return calls, no invoice and no tracking number I reversed the charge with the credit card company. I am not young. I am not broke. And I am relieved that I decided not to wait it out. Normserts will be just fine.

And this is really my point. Unfortunate situation? Sure...I don't think he's in the wrong to be upset with Jake. But he had the same option you did. He chose to complain about it for at least a few weeks now rather than take action.

Exactly on both counts.

When you work on cars that do not have huge aftermarket support, you REALLY need to temper your expectations. As I said, I had to wait 8 months for the proper seat covers for my Cutlass. I even forgot the order had been placed when they suddenly appeared on my door step...but I was REALLY happy SOMEONE could even make them...I didn't want the Cutlass 'S'/442 seat covers and was willing to pay (they cost quite a bit more) and wait for them. If you REALLY want studs, be glad there are even any to purchase. Without Jake, there wouldn't be. If the wait is too long for you, as it was for me and plenty of others, there is another option that also has a good track record - Norms inserts. If you NEED studs, stop complaining...you're lucky you have that option. If you don't, take action and take your business elsewhere.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 12:59 PM
I really don't think the wait itself is the biggest issue causing aggravation... It is not being honest about the wait and leaving people hanging without any communication whatsoever. If there was complete honesty about how long the wait really was then people could make a quality judgement on whether or not it's worth it to them.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-03-12, 01:05 PM
I don't understand the problem with this forum being used to complain about Northstar Performance. People have been allowed to praise Jake and his business for years using this venue. Now that he is not providing quality customer service people should also be allowed to vent their frustrations.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 01:26 PM
Nobody takes issue with venting about a bad experience... I certainly don't. But posting the same thing over and over again all over the forum in different places, causing the moderators aggravation for having to delete multiple posts... And getting nasty with other members, also causing the same problems for moderators, in having to delete insults and name-calling, is another matter. I think the Mods have been extremely lenient... More than I would have been.

Quite frankly, I am very thankful that I don't have a standing order for studs placed months ago. If I was being ignored after paying good money for a product, I promise you I would be venting too!

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-03-12, 01:55 PM
I am not just referring to this thread. There is documented evidence on this forum(search function) of similar issues with Northstar Performance in the past where people venting their frustrations were scolded. It is unfortunate that handshake promises and a man's word is often no good in today's world. Jake clearly doesn't stand behind his. In this economy you don't take over $500 of a man's money and not deliver the product or at least offer an explanation/refund immediately. For some people that is more than a week of pay.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 02:06 PM
I know what you mean. I don't have a dog in this race, but where there's smoke there's fire. Let's just say I certainly wouldn't plan to order any studs from him until he's proven that he's got it together.

vincentm
04-03-12, 02:23 PM
Well April 2nd has passed, no update.

http://northstarperformance.com/img/introhead1.jpg

http://northstarperformance.com/img/jake1.jpg
http://northstarperformance.com/img/msg.jpg

Update: March 30, 2012: Expect good news on Monday April 2nd 2012. Really good news :)

Hopefully its working out. I'll stay positive for him. He's still a cool dude.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 04:10 PM
Hopefully its working out. I'll stay positive for him. He's still a cool dude. [/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]

I think everybody here would like to see things work out for him.

dwillv
04-03-12, 06:23 PM
THE GOOD NEWS IS U STILL DONT HAVE STUDS.yes i will look to c what other stuff he posts good luck to all looking for studs i sure wish i had mine the tires r starting to dry rot and its fixing to get hotter than hell here in TEXAS. THATs y i ordered n november thx jake for such promt service.

Faded Crest
04-03-12, 06:35 PM
^^^^^^^ See? Now he can rant and rail all he wants as long as he keeps it all in one place. :rolleyes:

vincentm
04-03-12, 07:04 PM
THE GOOD NEWS IS U STILL DONT HAVE STUDS.yes i will look to c what other stuff he posts good luck to all looking for studs i sure wish i had mine the tires r starting to dry rot and its fixing to get hotter than hell here in TEXAS. THATs y i ordered n november thx jake for such promt service.

What did the tracking# show you?

usmc99
04-03-12, 09:42 PM
I doubt this is the outcome he envisioned when he chose to do business with that "stand up guy" jake. Why should he go somewhere else when he already paid jake for the parts? Im in the same boat with him. I do not have an additional $547 laying around to spend. Yes, Jake is not Walmart but he decided to market his one man show as a legitimate business so he should be held under those same standards and accountable. Jake should just refund all the money and he has STOLEN and end this circus. Im so freakin tired of you people making excuses for this guy.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-12, 11:28 AM
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/566/nstarperf.jpg

so dwillv, what is your tracking number?

Bubba68CS
04-04-12, 01:15 PM
I doubt this is the outcome he envisioned when he chose to do business with that "stand up guy" jake. Why should he go somewhere else when he already paid jake for the parts? Im in the same boat with him. I do not have an additional $547 laying around to spend. Yes, Jake is not Walmart but he decided to market his one man show as a legitimate business so he should be held under those same standards and accountable. Jake should just refund all the money and he has STOLEN and end this circus. Im so freakin tired of you people making excuses for this guy.

If you are going to accuse someone of stealing, you had better already done everything possible to get your money back (including calling your credit card company and cancelling the charge) AND filed a police report. Otherwise it is well out of line.

I don't think anyone suggested you eat the cost...I sure as hell didn't. But everyone who ordered from Jake had options to get their money back...you chose not to pursue them. mtn eldo did exactly what anyone still complaining should have done after a month and no communication.

You have every right to complain about the service and it will help people in the future...but its ridiculous to continue complaining when you refuse to take action yourself. When you still pay the guy for his product, you're not sending any kind of message other than "thank you for the way you've treated me, I'm happy to do business with you".

It really isn't rocket science...you're better off with him than someone who gave you a subpar product...you have the option to cancel the credit card charge and be done with it.

usmc99
04-04-12, 02:09 PM
If you are going to accuse someone of stealing, you had better already done everything possible to get your money back (including calling your credit card company and cancelling the charge) AND filed a police report. Otherwise it is well out of line.

I don't think anyone suggested you eat the cost...I sure as hell didn't. But everyone who ordered from Jake had options to get their money back...you chose not to pursue them. mtn eldo did exactly what anyone still complaining should have done after a month and no communication.

You have every right to complain about the service and it will help people in the future...but its ridiculous to continue complaining when you refuse to take action yourself. When you still pay the guy for his product, you're not sending any kind of message other than "thank you for the way you've treated me, I'm happy to do business with you".

It really isn't rocket science...you're better off with him than someone who gave you a subpar product...you have the option to cancel the credit card charge and be done with it.

A debit card was used so there's no canceling the charge. Police cant/wont do anything for anything in Canada. I didn't choose to stay with jake, I was forced to. As i stated before, I don't have an extra $547 to go with Norm. My issue is not the wait, but rather the deceiving phone conversation I had with Jake and this protective shield thats been placed around him from certain members on here. If you guys are tired of the complaining then start a 'Northstar performance fraud/complaints' section and, unless you're a moderator, stay out of it. Or, just skip over the complaining posts...you have the right to do so.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-04-12, 02:28 PM

I find it interesting how defensive you are of Jake seeing as your account was just created last month......

Faded Crest
04-04-12, 02:30 PM
You are obviously a very emotional person and are posting in anger. Since you admit that there is nothing you can do about your situation, why not just calm yourself down and recognize the only two options that you have, which would be...

-To wait and see if Jake's update proves to be true...

-Or just accept the fact that you have lost your money and move on with your life.

I've been ripped off plenty, and even recently... But I don't pollute the forum with repetitive rants and accusatory language. You certainly have not made many friends here. Every single one of your posts has been a rant or provocative in nature, adding nothing of value. So you might have to come up with yet another user name if you want any help and support when you finally do start working on your car.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-12, 02:38 PM
oh yeah, why is your account only a month old if you ordered the studs 5 months ago??

usmc99
04-04-12, 02:47 PM
oh yeah, why is your account only a month old if you ordered the studs 5 months ago??

I will let you figure that one out........WOW.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-04-12, 02:54 PM
A debit card was used so there's no canceling the charge. Police cant/wont do anything for anything in Canada. I didn't choose to stay with jake, I was forced to. As i stated before, I don't have an extra $547 to go with Norm. My issue is not the wait, but rather the deceiving phone conversation I had with Jake and this protective shield thats been placed around him from certain members on here. If you guys are tired of the complaining then start a 'Northstar performance fraud/complaints' section and, unless you're a moderator, stay out of it. Or, just skip over the complaining posts...you have the right to do so.
I 100% agree with your frustration.

I was actually referring to Bubba's account.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/566/nstarperf.jpg
His "really good news" is he is going to send his customer's products over a month late and finally honor his own word?

usmc99
04-04-12, 02:55 PM
You are obviously a very emotional person and are posting in anger. Since you admit that there is nothing you can do about your situation, why not just calm yourself down and recognize the only two options that you have, which would be...

-To wait and see if Jake's update proves to be true...

-Or just accept the fact that you have lost your money and move on with your life.

I've been ripped off plenty, and even recently so... But I don't pollute the forum with repetitive rants and accusatory language. You certainly have not made many friends here. Every single one of your posts has been a rant or provocative in nature, adding nothing of value. So you might have to come up with yet another user name if you want any help and support when you finally do start working on your car.

Emotional huh?....I didn't come here to make friends nor did I come for the help and support for my car. I came here to get in touch with Jake and, as usual, I was ignored. This thing between me and you is getting juvenile so ill stop it here.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-12, 03:10 PM
well if I was going to try and repair my cadillac and started researching online and then came across this forum then i would probably create an account and start asking questions of the other members who have fixed theirs before i spent almost six hundred dollars on a repair solution

i see that kind of activity happen all the time ... people come in here saying "hey i found this place after doing some google searches... here's what's happening... what should i do? what are my options?"

those people get lots of good advice

now i'm not saying that you could have avoided this situation by joining up sooner but there's a chance

also, jake's studs are not the only way to fix northstar headgaskets but it seems to be the consensus that they're the best fix
and if you want the best fix then you don't really have a choice but to wait

a bunch of my Saab customers are in a similar situation right now.

due to the Saab bankruptcy there is a short supply on certain parts and sometimes your car won't run without these parts (like a key/remote for instance)
these customers can bitch and complain all they want, but they don't really have a choice
they're in a bad situation and i'm sympathetic but they're just going to have to wait
and many of them love their Saabs just as much as most of us here love our Cadillacs

The bottom line is you can wait or not ... the supply issues at northstarperformance have been well known for a long time around here and everyone will be a lot happier when they're resolved because it causes unnecessary drama (like this kind of stuff) and extra work for everyone to explain to jake's customers what is going on

to me it seems a bit weird that people like myself and the mods and other members like faded crest can know more about what's going on with northstar performance than the customers ... i don't usually just throw my money at unknown places online (especially that kind of money) ... now that i think about it ... jake owes us back pay for being his customer service agents!

usmc99
04-04-12, 03:14 PM
well if i was going to try and repair my cadillac and started researching online and then came across this forum then i would probably create an account and start asking questions of the other members who have fixed theirs before i spent almost six hundred dollars on a repair solution

i see that kind of activity happen all the time ... People come in here saying "hey i found this place after doing some google searches... Here's what's happening... What should i do? What are my options?"

those people get lots of good advice

now i'm not saying that you could have avoided this situation by joining up sooner but there's a chance

also, jake's studs are not the only way to fix northstar headgaskets but it seems to be the consensus that they're the best fix
and if you want the best fix then you don't really have a choice but to wait

a bunch of my saab customers are in a similar situation right now.

Due to the saab bankruptcy there is a short supply on certain parts and sometimes your car won't run without these parts (like a key/remote for instance)
these customers can bitch and complain all they want, but they don't really have a choice
they're in a bad situation and i'm sympathetic but they're just going to have to wait
and many of them love their saabs just as much as most of us here love our cadillacs

the bottom line is you can wait or not ... The supply issues at northstarperformance have been well known for a long time around here and everyone will be a lot happier when they're resolved because it causes unnecessary drama (like this kind of stuff) and extra work for everyone to explain to jake's customers what is going on

to me it seems a bit weird that people like myself and the mods and other members like faded crest can know more about what's going on with northstar performance than the customers ... I don't usually just throw my money at unknown places online (especially that kind of money) ... Now that i think about it ... jake owes us back pay for being his customer service agents!

yes.

Faded Crest
04-04-12, 03:45 PM
Emotional huh?....I didn't come here to make friends nor did I come for the help and support for my car. I came here to get in touch with Jake and, as usual, I was ignored. This thing between me and you is getting juvenile so ill stop it here.

Well then you are definitely in the wrong place! This is by no means Jake's personal hotline or bulletin board. As far as any of us know, he hasn't even looked on this forum since his last post. If that is why joined you are here for all the wrong reasons. The rest of us are here for the exact reasons you say you are not.

Bubba68CS
04-04-12, 04:06 PM
I find it interesting how defensive you are of Jake seeing as your account was just created last month......
Big difference between being a voice of reason and defending someone. I'm not defending Jake...I'm telling people to stop complaining and take action.

As for my joining the forum, I did as Rippy said: started an account, asked questions about the problems I was experiencing, asked about potential repairs, found out about Midwest Cadillac Repair, had Joe fix my car with NORMS INSERTS, and have been happy ever since. Total of about 2 weeks worth of effort.

By the way, you can still dispute charges on a debit card...not as easily as a credit card, but the option is still there. Not very smart to be using a debit card in such situations...but I understand it happens.

usmc99
04-04-12, 04:47 PM
Well then you are definitely in the wrong place! This is by no means Jake's personal hotline or bulletin board. As far as any of us know, he hasn't even looked on this forum since his last post. If that is why joined you are here for all the wrong reasons. The rest of us are here for the exact reasons you say you are not.

I have a nagging suspicion that whatever is said here gets back to Jake......not accusing anyone, just a feeling.

CadillacLuke24
04-04-12, 05:27 PM
I'm sure Jake finds out what is said on the forums. jake's human, and he screwed up. Just like each and everybody who has ever lived, who is living, and who will live. He could have, should have, and maybe would have gone about things differently, but he did not. I'd imagine, and correct me if I'm wrong, but at the age of 22, you believe you can take on anything, and you're not always as cautious as you should be. I'm not standing up for him, I think Jake's a good guy, but he made a mistake as well. That being said, we understand that all complaints are voiced out of frustration and that is perfectly understandable and logical. However, repeatedly bitching, pissing, whining, moaning, sniveling, hooting, and hollering about the problem will get you absolutely nowhere and greatly diminish your credibility. You have options to get a refund or repair your Northstar V8 besides Jake. Jake's are arguably the best, but if you're in a pinch, Normserts will work as well. I wish everyone the best of luck in fixing their Cadillac so they can enjoy it. That's why we're here. For future reference, it is ideal to research options before hand. Jake, it is ideal to forewarn customers of possible stoppages (which I believe you did) and to stop taking orders (which usually is a good idea, whether or not it's finacially beneficial). Good Luck Jake, I hope you come back strong as ever. For the customers who haven't received their studs when they should have, feel free to ask for ideas about repairs, advice, or voice your frustrations. But please, please do it in a respectable manner. We understand you are frusterated. We all likely have been in similar situations, and many can probably empathize. But constant complaining is completely unproductive and benefits nobody. Check tracking numbers if you have them. If you want, you may be able to return your studs if you so wish and go with something else, but studs are the way to go.

There. sorry for being a :postwhore:

Submariner409
04-04-12, 06:11 PM
I have a nagging suspicion that whatever is said here gets back to Jake......not accusing anyone, *just a feeling.

Of course it does - he is a member of CF and is entitled to read and post here - same as all of us.

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I have had business dealings with Jake Wiebe in the past and have had a positive business experience - that is a statement of fact as opposed to your innuendo and references to fraud and theft included in your posts of unsatisfactory business dealings.

(...........and if you are so paranoid that *you constantly look over your shoulder for the boogeyman, maybe you need to pull in your horns and smell the roses.)

usmc99
04-04-12, 06:37 PM
Of course it does - he is a member of CF and is entitled to read and post here - same as all of us.

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I have had business dealings with Jake Wiebe in the past and have had a positive business experience - that is a statement of fact as opposed to your innuendo and references to fraud and theft included in your posts of unsatisfactory business dealings.

(...........and if you are so paranoid that *you constantly look over your shoulder for the boogeyman, maybe you need to pull in your horns and smell the roses.)

I have no clue what this means.....

Submariner409
04-04-12, 06:43 PM
:hmm: Read your own post again - "not accusing anyone.........just a feeling" is a direct insinuation that one or more people in here are carrying on some sort of underground communication.

Sorry to burst your preconceived bubble, but that's not the case - here at least..........

usmc99
04-04-12, 07:00 PM
:hmm: Read your own post again - "not accusing anyone.........just a feeling" is a direct insinuation that one or more people in here are carrying on some sort of underground communication.

Sorry to burst your preconceived bubble, but that's not the case - here at least..........

Why couldn't you just say that instead of that crap you typed? I'm done here folks. Jake, hope I receive my studs one day. If not, hoped you used the $547 for good my friend. Semper Fi to All.....last post.

Faded Crest
04-04-12, 07:10 PM
Why couldn't you just say that instead of that crap you typed? I'm done here folks. Jake, hope I receive my studs one day. If not, hoped you used the $547 for good my friend. Semper Fi to All.....last post.

Promise?

eyewonder
04-04-12, 08:01 PM
What Faded Crest said - x100!

Cheers,
Steve

Faded Crest
04-04-12, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry, I only assumed you were a kid based on your temperament and demeanor. My mistake. I hope your kit comes in soon.

(Out goes usmc99 and in comes dwillv) :hmm:

My99Eldorado
04-04-12, 11:42 PM
Jake,

I need to hear from you. You've got my email. If you've already taken care of this I appreciate it. Otherwise, I'd rather not air out this transaction on-line, but if I don't hear from you I am considering it.

Paul Flores

Splitz300
04-04-12, 11:47 PM
Jake,

I need to hear from you. You've got my email. If you've already taken care of this I appreciate it. Otherwise, I'd rather not air out this transaction on-line, but if I don't hear from you I am considering it.

Paul Flores

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lj0xp5.jpg

Perhaps he's having issues?!

Faded Crest
04-05-12, 12:54 AM
There is already a well worn thread on this subject in the Engine/Technical Discussion section.

CadillacLuke24
04-05-12, 02:23 AM
I hope they show up dude. And I hope they exceed your expectations, for as long as you've waited.

My99Eldorado
04-05-12, 10:40 AM
How many people are waiting for an engine or a refund of their $2,000 deposit?

My99Eldorado
04-05-12, 11:14 AM
Deleted by Submariner409 - Duplicate post due to merged threads concerning Northstar Performance parts and engine supplies.

Faded Crest
04-05-12, 11:33 AM
It looks like there are quite a few waiting for stud kits, but I don't know about engines.

basscatt
04-05-12, 02:45 PM
there is a current discussion going on here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/254566-wheres-jake-we-need-studs.html

you might get better results there rather than here

EDIT: Threads merged due to identical supply questions.

MoistCabbage
04-05-12, 02:48 PM
I thought he decided not to sell engines anymore after he didn't deliver mine? When did you order it?

I don't think you'll have a problem getting a refund once you get in touch with him.

maeng9981
04-05-12, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I recall him deciding not to build engines anymore(for a while) months ago.

My99Eldorado
04-05-12, 03:47 PM
End of July 2011

----------

On march 14 he said the check would be mailed "tomorrow" .

As of today no check. I've sent several emails to at least confirm check was mailed, but I get no response.

I'm just trying to stay on top of this refund situation.

As an attorney and businessman I'm a little embarrassed at how long I waited for the engine but I read here he had a solution and I like d the car.

Paul Flores

basscatt
04-05-12, 05:13 PM
"bout time to LOCK THIS DOWN -

NOTHING NEW -

NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE -

NOTHING MORE TO SAY -

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-05-12, 06:43 PM
"bout time to LOCK THIS DOWN -

NOTHING NEW -

NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE -

NOTHING MORE TO SAY -
How is another person stating he did not receive his product not something new? I can see your point with the same person repeatedly complaining, but "my99eldorado" is here with a new complaint....

----------

How many people are waiting for an engine or a refund of their $2,000 deposit?You are probably going to be waiting awhile my friend. His website states he is only concentrating on the studs at the present. Probably better off to request a chargeback.
http://northstarperformance.com/

Submariner409
04-05-12, 08:15 PM
Once again: As long as this thread asks legitimate questions, presents additional business information (pro or con) and stays away from name calling and unsubstantiated accusation, insults or threats it will remain open. If the tone of this thread content goes into the gutter, so does your post.

eyewonder
04-05-12, 11:44 PM
Sub,

Thanks for taking some action to control this thread. I have followed this thread, and was frustrated & surprised that action was not taken sooner to put some controls on it. Please continue to do so.

No one who has read this thread can NOT understand that the business in question has been miss-managed, for whatever reasons - to the detriment of both the customers, and the business. As such, all who have read this are now in a position to make an informed decision on whether or not to do business.

So, now that everyone knows the problems, why continue to beat this poor, dead, horse? I will bet large amounts of Federal Reserve Notes that Jake has monitored this, and other threads, and knows of all parties concerns. If he has not responded in a business-like & timely manner , he (Jake) is responsible, NOT THE USERS OF THIS FORUM.

None of the readers of this thread can control Jake's business decisions, or make restitution to injured parties for the money they have paid out, or provide the merchandise that was paid for.

My cynical (but hopefully incorrect) opinion for the reasons for the continued railing against Jake is that (fill in the blank) wants everyone else to be as miserable as they are. Which doesn't resolve any problems.

Cheers,
Steve

Ranger
04-06-12, 12:09 AM
Sub,

Thanks for taking some action to control this thread. I have followed this thread, and was frustrated & surprised that action was not taken sooner to put some controls on it. Please continue to do so.

Keep in mind that we as Mods have to walk a fine line between an open "public" forum and being accused of protectionism and censorship. I agree with Sub, as long as it stays within the forum rules, as he said in post #184, it will remain open. If not, the offending posts will have to be edited or deleted or, worst case, the entire thread will have to be closed.

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 12:27 AM
This seems like a good time to say thank you to both Ranger and Submariner409. I think you guys do a great job as moderators! :thumbsup:

dwillv
04-06-12, 09:20 AM
1Z9395FR6894696119 ups shipping label created 3/21

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 11:01 AM
How is another person stating he did not receive his product not something new? I can see your point with the same person repeatedly complaining, but "my99eldorado" is here with a new complaint....as far as I recall my99eldorado was the OP of this thread so it's not really another person with a new complaint ... just the OP coming back to follow up

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 11:01 AM
1Z9395FR6894696119 ups shipping label created 3/21

Somebody tried to buy some time by creating a label, but it is not in the system because no package has actually been processed yet. This is a trick I see on ebay sometimes with slow shippers.

PaleAle
04-06-12, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear about all of the BS everyone has been through. I just had a couple of sets of studs custom made for 2 engines that I am doing for resale. I could sell someone a set and ship them today for $350 if it would help someone out of a jam. My engines can wait. You would still have to pick up the washers and nuts from somewhere like Fastenal. Let me know if I can help you out. I can have more made, but for obvious reasons, I won't accept orders or payment on any additional sets unless they are in hand and ready to ship.

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear about all of the BS everyone has been through. I just had a couple of sets of studs custom made for 2 engines that I am doing for resale. I could sell someone a set and ship them today for $350 if it would help someone out of a jam. My engines can wait. You would still have to pick up the washers and nuts from somewhere like Fastenal. Let me know if I can help you out. I can have more made, but for obvious reasons, I won't accept orders or payment on any additional sets unless they are in hand and ready to ship.

I have a feeling you are about to get inundated with takers of your offer!

PaleAle
04-06-12, 12:14 PM
I think you may be right about that. I hesitated to post it.
I would like to also thank Ranger and Submariner as you have. This forum is incredible and wouldn't be without their efforts and knowledge.

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 02:23 PM
jake has a patent on the stud design ... i'm pretty sure he has had to sue (or almost sue) other people for infringing on that patent

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 02:25 PM
jake has a patent on the stud design ... i'm pretty sure he has had to sue (or almost sue) other people for infringing on that patent

I doubt his patent can be enforced. He certainly didn't invent engine studs any more than Norm invented inserts. Certain utilitarian designs cannot be patented at all... Like clothing or even cars and trucks. I had to study patent laws a couple years ago when a company was threatening to sue me over a baseless claim. They were trying to scare me out of business.

The truth is you can file a patent on anything you want, even if you didn't invent it. If or when it ever goes to court, that is where all the investigations take place into how valid the claim is.

PaleAle
04-06-12, 02:35 PM
I didn't copy his anyway. I designed my own.

Submariner409
04-06-12, 02:38 PM
Don't know if the patent process was ever completed by Northstar Performance- but, as posted, engine studs have been around forever. There's absolutely no reason, given the delivery difficulties encountered with one "brand' of stud, to go to Norm Huhn (www.huhnsolutions.com (http://www.huhnsolutions.com)) and inquire about his large NS300L inserts being used with ARP studs, washers, and nuts. Same exact principle. Norm is a skilled machinist and does some drop dead gorgeous work.

vincentm
04-06-12, 02:53 PM
I doubt his patent can be enforced. He certainly didn't invent engine studs any more than Norm invented inserts. Certain utilitarian designs cannot be patented at all... Like clothing or even cars and trucks. I had to study patent laws a couple years ago when a company was threatening to sue me over a baseless claim. They were trying to scare me out of business.

The truth is you can file a patent on anything you want, even if you didn't invent it. If or when it ever goes to court, that is where all the investigations take place into how valid the claim is.

It'd be like trying to patent a wood screw...not feasible

PaleAle
04-06-12, 02:57 PM
I haven't tried Norms or other inserts. I've been retapping and using bigger head bolts but I'm tired of drilling out the heads and making sure I've chased every aluminum shaving out so I decided to go studs instead. It seems easier to me than the inserts would be and less parts.

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 03:03 PM
Have you developed any kind of jig?

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 03:05 PM
As of 9 months ago the patent process was still underway ... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/229444-studs-head-gasket-repair.html#post2659633

PaleAle
04-06-12, 03:24 PM
Faded Crest:
I haven't made a jig and don't really see the need for one. I haven't had any problems.

Chris:
I'm not at all concerned about any patents. As I said I designed my own studs. They aren't the same as Jake's

ThumperPup
04-06-12, 03:29 PM
im not one who agrees with patent steeling or design theft witch is what patents where put here on earth to do from my understanding

but then again say someone who bought a set of studs from Jake
where to go to a Machine shop or call ARP or some other stud company up or someone with a CNC machine and say hey im going to send you this item
can you make a copy of it id like it as close to the original as possible with just one difference
what ever that difference may be like a letter edged into the stud somewhere or the stud being a little bit longer by a CM or something like that or a MM of a MM
it is no longer a Original and witch means it is not forging someone's patent since it has been changed
now i don't totaly agree with this step
how ever it is legal

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 03:35 PM
The patent laws are the way they are so nobody can claim an unfair monopoly on a utilitarian item. The studs would fall into that category. It's exciting to think you invented something new, but there is nothing new invented here. He was just the first one to do it on a Northstar. If I take a picture of the Empire state building I can copyright my picture, but I can't keep you from taking your own picture of it.

Ranger
04-06-12, 03:36 PM
Using ARP studs with NS300L inserts gives you two joints, the insert to the block and the stud to the insert. I don't see any advantage to adding ARP studs to NS300L inserts unless you are planning on pulling the heads again. A stud threaded into the block is another story.

PaleAle
04-06-12, 03:40 PM
ThumperPup, That's not what I did. It's not something I would do. I have never seen Jake's studs. I took the headbolts I was using and designed a stud around that.

ThumperPup
04-06-12, 03:40 PM
The patent laws are the way they are so nobody can claim an unfair monopoly on a utilitarian item. The studs would fall into that category. It's exciting to think you invented something new, but there is nothing new invented here. He was just the first one to do it on a Northstar. If I take a picture of the Empire state building I can copyright my picture, but I can't keep you from taking your own picture of it.

so if i am understanding what you are saying then you are saying that
as long as it is not advertised and sold as a Surgrip Stud from Northstar performance that
someone can make it and sell it and call it a Cadillac Northstar Surgrip Stud ?

im confused on this
guess this is all past my ability to undderstand

but i would think it was just the name that couldn't be used and that the style has to change a little bit to be able to make it build and add it and sell it

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 03:45 PM
... just sayin'

if he doesn't attempt to protect his patent then he can lose it

they don't have to be the same as his to infringe on his patent
i believe that his patent is for a dual diameter high strength studs
see the full patent application published here (http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=18&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=wiebe.IN.&OS=in/wiebe&RS=IN/wiebe)

PaleAle
04-06-12, 03:51 PM
His application is to patent his Kit.
Dual diameter studs have been around longer than Northstar Cadillacs.

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 03:55 PM
It's for studs and the kit to install them

it's in the name of the patent application

Stud Fasteners for Fastening a Cylinder Head to An Engine Block and Kit Containing Said Stud Fasteners

anyways, i know you weren't trying to rip him off or copy his design, i was just mentioning that he has a patent pending in case anyone who reads what you did might get any smart ideas

PaleAle
04-06-12, 03:59 PM
Chris,
Not sure what you meant in your last sentence but let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 04:05 PM
I don't really know what there is to disagree about. I'm not saying that you're infringing on his pending patent. I was just making sure everyone knows that he does have a pending patent.

Faded Crest
04-06-12, 04:05 PM
89509 or 89510

PaleAle
04-06-12, 04:07 PM
Ok, Chris. Thanks.

RippyPartsDept
04-06-12, 04:24 PM
:thumbsup:

Jim 99 eldo
04-06-12, 04:36 PM
So just change the thread pitch at the top of the stud and make them. we need a reliable supplier for these things.

maeng9981
04-06-12, 08:06 PM
Using ARP studs with NS300L inserts gives you two joints, the insert to the block and the stud to the insert. I don't see any advantage to adding ARP studs to NS300L inserts unless you are planning on pulling the heads again. A stud threaded into the block is another story.

This is why I prefer "insert-less" studs, like Jake's.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-07-12, 03:46 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lj0xp5.jpg

"I will be getting a receptionist back in the office within 2 weeks"
Can you imagine the stress of job stability his receptionists undergo?

MoistCabbage
04-07-12, 05:56 PM
His first receptionist lasted less than a week as far as I could tell (I don't know the reason for her leaving). When I was still in the process of trying to get my engine from Jake, I spoke to her on her first day, she called me a couple days later, and then there was another complete lack of communication.

I hope that this one stays around for a while. It'd be much more reassuring to paying customers to actually have a human answer your calls, instead of just being left with a message on a website, reading an occasional forum post, and getting a return phone call every couple of weeks (or longer as seems to be the case for some).

PaleAle
04-07-12, 07:49 PM
Maybe the new receptionist should start 3 days after the studs ship.
I hope he gets through this. I've never spoken to Jake but from what I read in here it seems like he is a very bright young man that sometimes takes on more than he can handle.

Stingroo
04-08-12, 10:52 AM
Ya he takes on people money and goes to the bar to spend it

And you're how old, again?

Nice and mature. :thumbsup:

JimmyH
04-08-12, 12:07 PM
Somebody tried to buy some time by creating a label, but it is not in the system because no package has actually been processed yet. This is a trick I see on ebay sometimes with slow shippers.

It's not a trick. It is simply how Worldship works. When you create a shipment, it immediately enters a new tracking number in ups' system. If you track that particular number, it will show "Billing Information Received." I process dozens of UPS shipments every week. Once in a great while, a package WILL get lost. Because with worldship, the driver who picks up the boxes does not scan each box individually. There is a manifest with one barcode that he scans, then accepts all the boxes. We lost a shipment that way once.

Faded Crest
04-08-12, 06:04 PM
It's not a trick. It is simply how Worldship works. When you create a shipment, it immediately enters a new tracking number in ups' system. If you track that particular number, it will show "Billing Information Received." I process dozens of UPS shipments every week. Once in a great while, a package WILL get lost. Because with worldship, the driver who picks up the boxes does not scan each box individually. There is a manifest with one barcode that he scans, then accepts all the boxes. We lost a shipment that way once.

It also does that when you buy postage online from shippers. It doesn't mean it has been shipped at all. It's a handy excuse some use to get a customer off your back.

CadillacSevilleSTS
04-08-12, 07:15 PM
Jimmy, I can go print a shipping label right now for a paypal sale and wait weeks or never even ship an item. The tracking number still gets instantly emailed to the customer. I believe that is Faded Crest's point. I have seen many ebay sellers do it. They print it the same night, but might not drop it off to post office/UPS/fedex until days later. The customer thinks it is in the mail multiple days earlier.

Faded Crest
04-08-12, 07:44 PM
:yeah: Yes, this is indeed my point.

dwillv
04-09-12, 07:41 PM
wake up and smell the rose's STINGROO learn how the world works. don't b had all ur life.NICE AND MATURE AND HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS MY NIEVE CHILD.

vincentm
04-09-12, 07:45 PM
wake up and smell the rose's STINGROO learn how the world works. don't b had all ur life.NICE AND MATURE AND HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS MY NIEVE CHILD.

Just stop it now..seriously man.

dwillv
04-09-12, 07:51 PM
After all this time i have waited i have nothing good to say about northstar. Shipping label is all he has made to deliver my parts n almost 5 months now.

vincentm
04-09-12, 08:00 PM
After all this time i have waited i have nothing good to say about northstar. Shipping label is all he has made to deliver my parts n almost 5 months now.

I understand, but we're already knowing this. Just keep quiet now.

CadillacLuke24
04-09-12, 08:14 PM
Yeah. All you're doing is reinforcing your immature reputation. Act like the 52 year old you claim to be.

Ranger
04-09-12, 09:55 PM
You've made your point, LOUD AND CLEAR, but no one here can do anything. I think I speak for everyone when I say I feel your pain and frustration and I hope it gets resolved.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum-rules-guidelines/127308-unresolved-disputes.html#post1347465

:closed: