Cadillac Owners Forum banner

serp belt

992 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
this topic may have been discussed before. i seem to have a slight alignment issue with 96 NS. i have had the balancer and a/c compressor off before and it looks like the balancer is about 1/2 rib in towards the block. i think the a/c compressor pulley could be out 1/2 rib so that might affect the alignment as well. the compressor has 3 cast ears that ride against the block so there is nothing to adjust or tweak. the balancer is pressed against the crank snout or similar and provides the crush fit that drives the oil pump. i do not think the balancer can be installed backwards? i know it is not keyed to the crank but that is another issue and does not affect alignment. been this way for 3 yrs since i pulled the heads. never had a belt issue. is this my imagination or is belt alignment not super critical?

#4 ·
I have owned car for 12 yrs and replaced everything. P/s pump, alt, a/c comp, idler pulleys, tensioner pulleys and had motor torn down for heads. I can put a straight edge on pulley but so can you. I can see a slight misalignment with serp belt so I don't need to put a straightedge on it. My point is, what pulley affects the balancer most? How is belt routed? I could take off balancer and put thin shim behind it? Now that would not affect oil pump operation but it is not common. I keep blaming a/c compressor. Pulley hub doesn't move, only mag faceplate moves. Yes it is not original unit.

#6 ·
I did replace p/s pump with used one. I don't know how much slop is in pump body as it only mounts with 1 bolt. Can it be adjusted sideways 1/8" or so? Seems to me it might affect belt positioning. I can look at balancer and see belt is off a little. It is not centered on pulley. It's not off 1 full rib, just 1/2 a rib. Looks odd.

#7 ·
The pulley is a press fit on the pump shaft - using either an installer or puller, the pulley can be aligned.

..............but you really need to determine which (ribbed) pulley is pulling the belt out of alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.