: Replace catalytic converter - which one to use?

Jochen
03-12-12, 11:07 AM
Good morning!

I have a defective catalytic converter on my 07 Escalade. No waranty on that part so far!

I am not shure if i should get the OEM replacement Y-Pipe or just a weld in type unit.

What size of converter would i need if i just take the weld in type unit? Does anybody did that swap and what unit did you guys use?

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks.

Jochen

CStradling24
03-13-12, 01:03 AM
I could be wrong but thought emission parts were required by federal law to be covered by a longer warranty. Something like 12 year. I could be way off but definitely double check that

quattrotman
03-13-12, 01:49 AM
Why did it go? It's usually a part nowadays that last a long time unless there is some internal engine issue (usually running rich and unburnt fuel fouling the converter). O2 sensor malfunctioning?? Make sure you address any issue that caused it to go before you get a replacement or you'll end up having to replace it again. As fo a replacement, Not sure but OEM cats are usually an arm and a leg (may not be for the escalade) so I would look into just getting a universal unit spec'd for your truck from a muffler shop. It will do the same thing and generally cost way less.

Playdrv4me
03-13-12, 02:54 AM
Your factory emissions warranty should cover the catalyst for 8 years or 80,000 miles in the United States. Elsewhere in the world I don't know. If you put a Y pipe in and just bypass the cat, you will set off the check engine light. It is important to determine why the cat went bad on such a recent vehicle (unless it has over 120k or something) because the cause could result in poor fuel economy or other running problems later on.

Jochen
03-13-12, 10:03 AM
Thank you very much for your replies!

The issue was, some spark plug wires have been damaged by martens, causing MIL flashing, P0300 and lots of missfire. Happend twice at highway speed. See thread and pics here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/247877-dtc-c0561-71-p0300-00-plus.html?highlight=
A few days later i got the steady MIL with a P0420. Checked with Tech2 and HPTuners and found out that catalytic converter on bank 1 doesnt do anything downstream. Have a look at the O2 scans in the HPTuners forum: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=286233#post286233

I live in germany and warranty has expired. Anyway, the damage was cause by an animal... so i guess that wouldnt been covered...

Jochen