Cadillac Owners Forum banner

the dreaded clicking is back.

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  mrl859 
#1 ·
car has 1800 miles. this is my second time to the dealer. is retorquing the only know fix?

#2 ·
There is a TSB for that.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment on a clicking noise emanating from the front wheels. This condition is noticed at low speed (walking speed) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement (Full lock parking lot maneuver). The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 "clicks" per wheel revolution. The cause may be interaction between wheel mounting face and wheel mounting surface on rotor.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the procedure below on both front wheels.

Note: It is not necessary to clean the rear wheels for the "clicking" condition.

•Remove the front wheels.
•Clean the rotor top hat as follows.
• 2.1 Use a clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378556 or equivalent.

• 2.2 Clean the wheel mounting surface of the rotor (rotor top hat). During cleaning process be sure to clean the rotor near the wheel pilot at the center of the rotor.

•Replace the front wheels with the appropriate part number listed below which have a revised mounting surface.
20951880 Painted Wheel

20951881 Polished Wheel

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#10 ·
o one mentioned the obvious. make SURE the torque wrench is accurate, and the threads are lubed properly to get the correct torque. Is it Permatex that makes a lube that allows the correct torque? If you did it yourself, correctly, I'll bet it would work.

#11 ·
There are several updates to the bulletin referenced above and I cannot locate them currently. When I took mine in to the local dealer to have the clicking fixed, again, I brought a copy of the bulletin that indicated the wheels should be replaced; he showed me the latest update that said 'do not replace the wheels...' just continue cleaining and retorquing etc....it also said this was not a safety issue and that GM was continuing the determine the root cause and develop a fix. I argue that how can a clicking noise, which obviously is the result of two metal surfaces rubbing together, not be a safety issue in that eventually, something will wear thru or wear out....I guess time will tell. It also said that the retorquing excercise should be performed at each service interval. Quite the BS program...not one that should be present in a car of this type or price.

Marty

----------

Found the bulletin: PIC5136F:

Models: 2009 - 2012 Cadillac CTS-V

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIC5136E.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A customer may comment on a clicking noise emanating from the front wheels. This condition is noticed at low speed (walking speed) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement (Full lock parking lot maneuver). The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 "clicks" per wheel revolution.

The CTS-V has lightweight high performance front rotors with an aluminum center. The clicking sound is caused by interaction between the wheel mounting face and wheel mounting surface on the brake rotor caused by the aluminum-to-aluminum interface. With properly mounted wheels, and the wheel nuts torqued to specification, this “clicking” is NOT a safety issue. At this time there is no permanent solution however, General Motors' Engineering is aware of this condition and is working to resolve the concern. Until a permanent solution is developed, a cleaning process is recommended as a regular maintenance item.

The cleaning maintenance procedure described below should be performed as required at each oil change per the Oil Life Monitor system (approximately every 7500 miles) or whenever tires are replaced. This cleaning process is added to the 2011 - 2012 Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance Program. For 2009-2010 CTS-Vs, the cleaning procedure should be used if the customer is dissatisfied with the noise, and should be performed at tire replacement and/or at oil changes.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the procedure below on both front wheels; it is not necessary to clean the rear wheels for the "clicking" condition.

Note: Do NOT replace the front wheel or brake rotor for the clicking condition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 ·
A lot of us had the wheel cleaning/new nut torque value procedure done successfully, without a return of clicking. Is it possible that varying results represent the difference in dealer service departments? In other words some perform the procedure correctly and others are sloppy and/or may take shortcuts and not do all that is required. Mine was done successfully about 50,000 miles ago, and I have since switched dealer service departments and have had 2 sets of new tires installed since it was done.

Jud

#20 ·
I replaced my polished wheels with graphite and for a long time, no clicking. It recently started back and TSB was performed with resolution. Unfortunately its now an ongoing maintenance item. Each time the car is at the dealership for any reason, just make sure they perform the TSB. It really isnt a big deal.

#24 ·
Had my car in today and the dealer did the clean/lube/overtorque per the TSB. It worked, for now. More importantly, the advisor mentioned that the technician noticed a footnote on tech connect that a permanent fix is being developed. Interesting.

Reactions: Club Malibu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.