: what tires are everyone running?

ejjr5046
03-11-12, 03:29 PM
Hello,

4dr Black raven AOD
My stock tires are all but done at 12k
I was wondering what everyone is running for tires. OEM is too much money IMO.

particulars:
I don't drive car in the winter
I don't autocross it
I DO accelerate fast. Not corner wise though

I occasionally take it to local 1/4 mile track (but I will run drag radials since PS2's went sideways and almost killed me and the car)

So I guess I am looking for something that doesn't "scrub" when cold (fronts) and something that will give me decent hook up from a standing start for occasional stop light to stop light drags.

Someone I know is running the hankooks (1/4 mile also) and liked them, but I want more imput

thanks
Ed

----------

Hankooks and the continental extreme contact DW seem to have good reviews and pricing

Is anyone running a DOT Drag Radial? The Pirelli Corsa's seem Very Pricey for what they are

SPEED74V
03-11-12, 11:47 PM
I like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11: 265/35/19 front & 305/30/19 rear (Stock Rims)

Great Price too!

thebigjimsho
03-12-12, 11:07 AM
If you want tires that hook, the Hankooks are not for you. I have them and do not get nearly the launch I had with the PS2s...

M5eater
03-12-12, 11:12 AM
You'd probably be fine with the continental DW's. They have softer sidewalls which improve the ride, cost 1/2 as much as PS2's, last longer and still offer 80% of the grip. You should remember though, that nothing is going to hook like PS2's except tires that cost nearly as much as PS2's.. SS's are good/better and cost a little less, but the two tires you're looking at offer less grip than the PS2's. So will all the other $1000/all around tires. DW's are a little tricky at the limit from what I've heard as well, but for a 'just drive normally' tire, they're decent.

If I were you, I'd be looking at some other options (like the super sports) that are just a hair bigger/smaller than the OE size. The OE size is a little funky, so there are very limited options for an exact match. From what I understand, the differences can be tuned out anyway.

ejjr5046
03-12-12, 04:04 PM
@M5eater,

What "ss" are you referring too. Thanks for your info.

CoppeR
03-12-12, 05:02 PM
I believe he's talking about the super sports here

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=03YR9PSSXL&tab=Sizes

boplaw
03-12-12, 05:51 PM
I believe he's talking about the super sports here

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=03YR9PSSXL&tab=Sizes

I had a set of Super Sports on my RS4. I liked them a lot, but I sold the car before I got to see what kind of mileage I could get out of them. I will probably put them on the V in a few months now that I see they make this size.

Xaqtly
03-13-12, 02:49 AM
While we're on the subject is a 305/30/19 recommended for the stock rear rims, or a 295/30/19?

Kluch
03-13-12, 09:50 AM
Aren't the super sports supposed to come out in stock sizes relatively soon? What's the difference between the 2 listings for PS2's on tirerack if you search for stock V sizes? Does the car need to be lowered to look normal if you run the non-stock RE-11 sizes listed above? Anyone who leases their car, does it have to be turned in with PS2's or just tires of stock size, or will the non-stock RE-11's be ok? Sorry for lots of questions, but I'm getting ready to replace my factory tires and these are the questions I'm facing. Thanks.

M5eater
03-13-12, 10:03 AM
Anyone who leases their car, does it have to be turned in with PS2's or just tires of stock size, or will the non-stock RE-11's be ok?
Ally says right in my lease agreement that the only thing they check is tread depth and tire condition(ie no sidewall damage/cracking, ect).
http://www.ally.com/files/sections/auto/pdf/ally-auto-viw-inspection-sample.pdf

in their own sample, they even have an approved car with mix-matched brands!

Aren't the super sports supposed to come out in stock sizes relatively soon?
they have the stock front tire size, but no 285/35/R19 yet. I was hearing about them making that size months ago.

SPEED74V
03-16-12, 01:42 PM
While we're on the subject is a 305/30/19 recommended for the stock rear rims, or a 295/30/19?

Here are some pictures of the 265's & 305's on stock rims / stock height from a previous thread. I don't really notice the difference from stock but I would still like to add springs regardless, sometime. For now I am rolling stock suspension.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/249399-pics-wanted-295-30-19-stock.html

SS1LE02
03-20-12, 12:56 AM
I just got a new set of Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's. The hook great for a street tire. I had the Hankooks on it before. They were horrible.

thebigjimsho
03-20-12, 01:15 PM
I think the Hankooks are good for what they are. And most people here won't be able to max their performance out, anyway.

But they don't really hook well on launch...

ejjr5046
03-24-12, 05:15 PM
I decided on and have 50 miles on the BRIDGESTONE POTENZA POLE POSITION S-04's

so far so good, good strong launches (T/C on off course) stays straight during my (reprogrammed) 2-3 upshift, which dead PS2's were no longer able to do.

thanks for the input