: For those of you with subs...nothing crazy though

quattrotman
03-10-12, 10:28 PM
I wanted to add some bass to the stock Bose/Nav system and was thinking just one or two 10" subs under the rear seats (I have an EXT by the way). Is one 10" in a custom box under the seat going to be enough or do I need to consider two? What have you guys used as far as components? I have even seen custom boxes on ebay that look alright so what components to do with it? I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to audio...used to be into it back in the day but I'm sure things have changed in the last 20 years :) I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash on it (well under $1000 I think is very doable). Im searching but not finding a lot on just average setups. Not wanting to be heard down the block or to blow my windows out but still want a bit of extra boom. Any help with this would be appreciated.

chakde
03-11-12, 05:02 AM
I put 2 10s in the box that fits where you store your glass in the mid gate that gave me the added bass I was looking for. I bought the box from eBay originally for my avalanche before I switched the avalanche for the ext. I had the amp under the rear passenger seat on the driver side. The quick connect allowed me remove the box if I wanted to drop the mid gate. I sold the avalanche to my cousin with the setup or else I could post some pictures for reference.

quattrotman
03-11-12, 07:01 AM
Ya I saw that box. Is it very heavy to move for one person? I'm kind of leaning towards the box under the rear seats because they would probably be less cumbersome to move. What kind of subs and amp are you using? I'm really unsure of what brands are good.

MrHolland
03-11-12, 10:19 AM
IMHO, JL is the only speaker in the world. Their TW5 series may be something to look at, but with any JL product, they cost MONEY. There are probably a million people here with a million different answers. Like I said that's just my opinion.

quattrotman
03-13-12, 03:27 AM
Ya I've heard good things about JL and it's not out of the question. Just wondering what people are using because certain combinations work welll and others not so much. Nobody else has under seat sub boxes in their EXT?

cane87
03-13-12, 04:21 PM
thanks bro.. taking out the dome light doesnt sound like something i am interested in doing either.I would rather make no changes then do that.

Hawk-TDZ
03-14-12, 08:58 PM
Ya I've heard good things about JL and it's not out of the question. Just wondering what people are using because certain combinations work welll and others not so much. Nobody else has under seat sub boxes in their EXT?

I do, twin MB Quart 10"s, tricky part was finding a place to mount the amp

http://subthump.com/Cadillac-Sub-Boxes/Escalade-EXT/02-Up-AvalancheEscalade-EXT-Dual-Downfire-Box.html <-- I have this box

quattrotman
03-15-12, 02:40 AM
I do, twin MB Quart 10"s, tricky part was finding a place to mount the amp

http://subthump.com/Cadillac-Sub-Boxes/Escalade-EXT/02-Up-AvalancheEscalade-EXT-Dual-Downfire-Box.html <-- I have this box

That looks almost the same as the box I want to do. Where did you mount your amp? I was thinking under the passenger seat or if there is room, on top of the box under the seats??
What about mounted to the back of the rear seats?

Hawk-TDZ
03-16-12, 10:02 PM
Its mounted in between the box and the rear divider, not much room there, requires a smaller sized amp, sounds good though. my brother has the JL divider box with two 12's, defenetly louder, but mine is plenty bass for me

AWallerJr
03-24-12, 05:22 PM
What kind of head unit are you guys using??

quattrotman
03-25-12, 12:06 AM
I'm going to stick with the factory Bose/Nav unit. I don't want to change the look of the dash and it's good enough for me.
So I bought some kicker stuff...zx750 amp and 2 10" cvt subs in custom under seat boxes. I think it will be good enough for what I'm looking for. I'm going to put them in when I ever get a minute from the kids :)
Got a question for you stereo guys:
Where is the best place to come through the firewall with the power lead?? I took a quick look and I'm not really seeing any spare grommets and I'd prefer not drilling a new one.

paperchase4life
03-25-12, 04:15 AM
Firewall, driver side above the fuse box inside.

AWallerJr
03-25-12, 08:29 AM
I like the idea of using the original head unit. It keeps that clean from the factory look going on. My question about that is are you gonna still be able to use the factory amp for all the speakers except the subs?? Or will you have to bypass the factory amp and use an after market amp to power all speakers and the subs??

quattrotman
03-26-12, 12:57 AM
I like the idea of using the original head unit. It keeps that clean from the factory look going on. My question about that is are you gonna still be able to use the factory amp for all the speakers except the subs?? Or will you have to bypass the factory amp and use an after market amp to power all speakers and the subs??

I did a lot of research on this and yes, you can keep the factory everything. The amp I got (kicker zx series) is able to hook up direct to a factory unit by tapping into the factory sub wires. Otherwise you need a Line Out converter. That will enable you to tap into the factory sub. By the way, that harness is under the cupholders in the center console. There are 4 wires, 2 right, 2 left (+,-). Blue/white is left +, green/black is left -, dark green right +, and blue/black is right -
I was able to get a 12v remote from the fuse box next to the brake pedal(#6 pin on the orange harness...although link below shows to tap into something else) and got through the firewall just above that (thanks paperchase4life). Not finished yet but I hope to get everything hooked up in the next few days...tough to get any 'car time' in when you have little kids.

This is a really good write up for reference:
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-diy-useful-threads-61/adding-bass-2007-tahoe-w-bose-nav-21917/

NC_Tech007
03-27-12, 09:10 PM
There are a few LOC's that you can go with, starting from $0 to a couple hundred. I personally went with a JL Slash series amp as it had a built in LOC, so it didn't require an external unit. But if you are picky about that, you can always get a Navone LOC which is roughly $50, or something higher end like the JL Cleansweep or RF 360.

AWallerJr
03-28-12, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info Quattrotman. keep us informed on how it turns out