: help! harmonic balancer mounting!

zumzero
03-10-12, 11:50 AM
Hello. I have an 04 v and was about to install my new oem harmonic balancer and made sure i marked how the old one was positioned and when i went to mark the new one i noticced the drill holes on the outter rim are in a different position compaired to the mounting triangle...so should i mount it as the same position as the triangle or the drill points?

darkman
03-10-12, 12:06 PM
Well, this is what the Service Manual says:

Note the position of the crankshaft balancer before removal, on manual transmission applications. The balancer does not use a key or keyway for positioning. Mark or scribe the end of the crankshaft and the balancer before removal. The crankshaft balancer must be installed to the original position. If replacing the crankshaft balancer, note the location of any existing balance weights, if applicable. Install new balance weights into the new crankshaft balancer, if applicable. Crankshaft balance weights must be installed into the new balancer in the same location as the old balancer. A properly installed balance weight will be either flush or below flush with the face of the balancer.

I don't recall any discussion by others about adding weights to a new balancer so I do not know what folks have done in actual practice.