Cadillac Owners Forum banner

So I curbed a wheel...

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Darnell 
#1 ·
It's not too bad, but sure is a sickening feeling.

Think I can fix this myself? Fine grit sandpaper and then some aluminum polish? Are these wheels clear coated, or raw???

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I had a case of curb rash on two wheels much worse than yours and a mobile rim repair company fixed them both for $90 total.

During the fix he noted the clear coat and stated that "touching it up" would result with the clear repair flaking-off over the next few months. The only way he felt comfortable applying a new clear coat was to strip the wheel and reclear the entire rim.

That said, the repaired area oxidizes a touch and every three months or so. A little polish removes the oxidation quickly and easily.

So my recommendation - unless you're the adventurous type, pay someone to repair the curb rash and skip any touch-up clear coat.

That said, your rash seems very minimal (I know - it bugs you to death!) and I wouldn't do a thing. Live with it until you really curb the wheel with some mean, nasty, gouges - then get it fixed.

Good luck,
Eric

#4 ·
I would have to agree. I know it annoys the crap out of you if you're like me, but hit it with some M105 on a drill with something like a mother's cone, or even with a PC on 4" pads. That'll reduce it a bit and then call it a day. As far as curbing goes, that's very minor.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input, guys.

Embassured, so your guy polished out the damage and left it raw, and the factory cleat coat isn't peeling away from the where he polished? Thats good to know, I was worried that I would have the clear peeling away from where the gouge is, whether I had it fixed or not...

M5, I did clean it up a bit already with SimiChrome polish and a rag. My concern was taking off more clear (now that I know they're coated) and making a small scratch into a bigger one. And you're right, I'll probably leave it until it's time for tires and have it addressed then. I'm the only one that is going to see it (other than my wife, "I told you you were too close to the curb!") anyway...

Thanks again for the input...

#6 ·
M5, I did clean it up a bit already with SimiChrome polish and a rag. My concern was taking off more clear (now that I know they're coated) and making a small scratch into a bigger one.
You're not really doing any kind of real correction when hand-polishing, more-so on a hard anodized clear coat for rims. Have you ever used a rotary or PC on paint before? Now may be the time for an investment. I would go for a PC myself, but it's more expensive than a cordless drill that you may already have. The downside is that the rotary will leave buffer trails and a PC will not.

There's almost no chance you are going to burn through anything with a PC and some 105. I mean, the possiblity is there, because 105 will cut down to bare metal if you let it, but you'd have to be on the same spot for a half hour or more to take off the clear.The hand polish cleaned it up a bit basicly, it hasen't removed any measurable amount of clear coat.

I can't tell by the pics if it would help, as I can't see how deep these are, but I will say it has a better chance to make some of them better than a rag does without sanding it down.

www.autopia.com is a good resource for paint correction if you're interested.

#7 ·
Thanks man, good info.

I'm probably not going to mess with it anymore at this point. The SimiChrome actually made a pretty big difference, and it was only 10 minutes of rubbing. Yeah, it bothers my OCD personality, but I'll live with it until a tire change is due and have it fixed then...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.