: Flashing headlights

48Dodge
03-07-12, 04:38 PM
I just recently realized that there is no "flash to pass" feature for our cars when the headlights aren't on. Even though I know this, I still continue to try to flash my highbeams at other cars during the day (it's a common occurrence to flash other cars at the entrance of our neighborhood to let cars in and out). I'm trying to figure out a way to flash some type of light at them. I'm thinking of rigging up a momentary switch to the parking lights (5k leds, drls are the same). I'm not sure if this will be noticeable enough during most daytime situations. I know I don't want the hid bulbs to flick on and off. Another option is maybe connect a relay to have the drls cut out for when hitting the switch. Just brainstorming and wondering if it's worth the effort. What do you guys think?

hcvone
03-07-12, 06:08 PM
I just recently realized that there is no "flash to pass" feature for our cars when the headlights aren't on. Even though I know this, I still continue to try to flash my highbeams at other cars during the day (it's a common occurrence to flash other cars at the entrance of our neighborhood to let cars in and out). I'm trying to figure out a way to flash some type of light at them. I'm thinking of rigging up a momentary switch to the parking lights (5k leds, drls are the same). I'm not sure if this will be noticeable enough during most daytime situations. I know I don't want the hid bulbs to flick on and off. Another option is maybe connect a relay to have the drls cut out for when hitting the switch. Just brainstorming and wondering if it's worth the effort. What do you guys think?

This was talked about back in 2006 when the 2007 came out because the owners manual said the flash to pass worked, and of course it does not because all it would do is kill the life of the HID's. I learned to live without it, and until I just read your post I have not even tried my platinums to see if they can do this. :) Not sure if doing the drls would give enough light to stand out

48Dodge
03-07-12, 06:26 PM
This was talked about back in 2006 when the 2007 came out because the owners manual said the flash to pass worked, and of course it does not because all it would do is kill the life of the HID's. I learned to live without it, and until I just read your post I have not even tried my platinums to see if they can do this. :) Not sure if doing the drls would give enough light to stand out

Yeah, I found that post a couple weeks ago when looking for confirmation that I wasn't crazy. I think now that I know I can eventually ween myself off of hitting the highbeam flasher.

FredS
03-07-12, 06:34 PM
If you are the type to flash on a regular basis then just turn the headlights on or cover the light sensor so they always come on and then you have flashing.

PeteKT
03-08-12, 12:17 PM
Why not just hit the fog light button and flash those instead, PROBLEM solved :)

pmexpert
03-08-12, 02:40 PM
It is possible if you have European esky. Also it is possible to drive with high beam when fog lights are turned on.

48Dodge
03-08-12, 03:18 PM
Why not just hit the fog light button and flash those instead, PROBLEM solved :)

I just installed hid bulbs in my fogs. Not good to flash those, hence the reason the headlights don't flash. I just tried to flash someone at the neighborhood entrance again this am...

PeteKT
03-08-12, 03:19 PM
ok so then STOP flashing everyone, whats more important to flash someone to say hi to them, or to save your HID lights?

48Dodge
03-08-12, 03:33 PM
ok so then STOP flashing everyone, whats more important to flash someone to say hi to them, or to save your HID lights?

It's they way you communicate to other cars at the entrance of our neighborhood. Otherwise I hardly flash other cars during the daytime.

hcvone
03-08-12, 04:38 PM
It's they way you communicate to other cars at the entrance of our neighborhood. Otherwise I hardly flash other cars during the daytime.

See in the US we communicate with the finger, it's easier than flashing. :eek:

48Dodge
03-08-12, 05:24 PM
See in the North we communicate with the finger, it's easier than flashing. :eek:

Fixed it for you. I'm in SC

Playdrv4me
03-09-12, 04:35 AM
After having a mix of cars with both Bi-Xenon and low beam only Xenon headlights, I find I far prefer the combination of xenon with a high beam halogen light. Not only do you still have the flasher feature, but I find that in most cases, high beam halogens actually perform better than the xenons do. Ironically, even though I absolutely can not live without xenons and have been enamored with them since their early days, I've *never* been able to stand xenons in the fog light openings. Just ends up turning out to be "too much" of a good thing and looks silly coming down the road to me. To each his own of course.