: Potential leak in clutch line

OneFast V
03-07-12, 11:38 AM
I have been having issuing getting my car into gear since i put in an LS9X clutch. At the time i also replaced the slave and master with brand new parts. I have since power bled it 3+ times and bled it with the 2 person method and the shifting has slightly improved but still has difficulty going into gear from a stand still (reverse is the hardest). I wondering if there is potential for something in the line to be leaking fluid and possibly introducing air into the line? Where is the best place to look (most common) and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

darkman
03-07-12, 12:33 PM
I don't know enough about the LS9 clutch hardware to comment on it, but here is the troubleshooting list from the service manual regarding clutch drag-
1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder or worn pedalbushings.
3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
5. Clutch master cylinder is seized or binding.
6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
7. Clutch actuator (slave) cylinder seized or binding.
8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
9. Damaged clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc, hub,splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate.[I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
11. Faulty pilot bearing.
12. Transmission input shaft splines are worn or damaged.
13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission frontcase excessively misaligned.
15. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.
16. Loose, broken, or faulty motor mounts.

PISNUOFF
03-07-12, 01:26 PM
Does it get better if you pump the pedal twice then try shifting into gear? Is it dragging at all (does the car move forward when in first gear and the pedal on the floor)? Someone else recently posted that his newly installed LS9 was dragging and had difficulty getting into gear. I bet it'll get better after it breaks in and wears a little bit.

OneFast V
03-07-12, 01:39 PM
Does it get better if you pump the pedal twice then try shifting into gear? Is it dragging at all (does the car move forward when in first gear and the pedal on the floor)? Someone else recently posted that his newly installed LS9 was dragging and had difficulty getting into gear. I bet it'll get better after it breaks in and wears a little bit.

It does drag with foot to the floor on the clutch and the car in gear. I have about 1500 miles on the clutch and yet to see any improvements. pumping the pedal does not seem to have much affect.

----------

I don't know enough about the LS9 clutch hardware to comment on it, but here is the troubleshooting list from the service manual regarding clutch drag-
1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder or worn pedalbushings.
3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
5. Clutch master cylinder is seized or binding.
6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
7. Clutch actuator (slave) cylinder seized or binding.
8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
9. Damaged clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc, hub,splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate.[I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
11. Faulty pilot bearing.
12. Transmission input shaft splines are worn or damaged.
13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission frontcase excessively misaligned.
15. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.
16. Loose, broken, or faulty motor mounts.

1. Pedal does not appear nor feel blocked
2. how would i know or check this?
3. again where do I check?
5. shouldn't be seized or binding, it is brand new
6. i have bled it so many times and i see no air coming out of the line for a good solid 5-7 seconds before i close it off.
7. shouldn't be seized or binding, it is brand new
8. Again in theory it shouldn't as it is brand new

This is a long list but i guess 2,3 and 4 would be ones i need to look into. Any more info on those? thanks for all this info btw!

darkman
03-07-12, 02:24 PM
It does drag with foot to the floor on the clutch and the car in gear. I have about 1500 miles on the clutch and yet to see any improvements. pumping the pedal does not seem to have much affect.

----------

1. Pedal does not appear nor feel blocked
2. how would i know or check this?
3. again where do I check?
5. shouldn't be seized or binding, it is brand new
6. i have bled it so many times and i see no air coming out of the line for a good solid 5-7 seconds before i close it off.
7. shouldn't be seized or binding, it is brand new
8. Again in theory it shouldn't as it is brand new

This is a long list but i guess 2,3 and 4 would be ones i need to look into. Any more info on those? thanks for all this info btw!

I knew some of the listed items would not apply in your case. In any event, the post below has some attachments which might help regarding potential pedal, or pedal-to-master issues.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/250314-loose-clutch-pedal-bracket.html#post2837529

OneFast V
03-07-12, 03:13 PM
Is it possible that there was slack in my OEM pedal and with the single disk this wasn't and issue but with a twin disk there is less room for the same sort of slack? Also is the master cylinder sufficiently sized for the twin disks systems or is it borderline?

PISNUOFF
03-07-12, 06:04 PM
The twin disc pressure plate takes about the same force to compress as the stock.

OneFast V
03-07-12, 06:45 PM
So is my best bet to look and make sure the pedal assembly has no play and then if that's not the issue rip out the transmission and start digging in further?

Also forgot to mention the mechanic said he shimmed the pilot bearing (which was also brand new) in an attempt to add additional "throw" and that did not solve the issue.