: Dash/in car camera recommendations

ichpen
03-06-12, 02:13 PM
Gents,

Looking for some input from someone who's done this. I'd love to have a good permanent in car cam wired behind the mirror for both daily driving and the occasional track day. As such it needs to be super wide angle, do 720p/60fps and would prefer some wireless way of offloading vids (without having to dismount it etc) like bluetooth or wifi. Mapping functionality would be a bonus also (for google maps feed).

Anyone seen such a thing?

Go pro is a bit too cumbersome to cram in there.

thebigjimsho
03-06-12, 02:52 PM
I would imagine Chase Cam has what you'd need...

DrSpeed
03-06-12, 05:21 PM
Been looking at some too...lets see if I can find my old links.

Want to have it for insurance purposes, given how all these yahoos drive on the street nowadays.

ichpen
03-06-12, 05:45 PM
This would almost be perfect if only for lack of remote connectivity and 60fps shooting.

http://www.blackvue.co.uk/

rjoffe
03-06-12, 08:03 PM
I played around with an app called DailyRoads Voyager similar in function, but not quite what you had in mind.

ichpen
03-07-12, 01:01 PM
Not quite. Need something more permanent that can do traffic recording (day/night) as well as the odd track day. Sort of like a gopro but with more everyday traffic features.

rjoffe
03-07-12, 02:39 PM
Please keep us updated with what you find. I'm interested as well.

CancerJCC
03-07-12, 09:29 PM
I played around with an app called DailyRoads Voyager similar in function, but not quite what you had in mind.

I record everywhere I drive with this app.

Ichpen - I can tell you to stay away from the GoPro for sure. A bunch of the guys on radardetectorforum.org have proven they SUCK for night time recording as a dash cam.

Here is someone commenting on the Blackvue. http://www.radardetectorforum.org/car-discussion/7157-my-blackvue-dr400g-hd-dashcam-review.html

One last note. Make SURE you get one that loops recording. Filling up SD cards every two hours will be a freaking PITA! Let us know what you find out!

Ok really last note...As far as transferring wirelessly I love the idea but think the hardware required isn't going to be cheap or prevalent. I hope you can prove me wrong though but I also don't consider hooking up a USB occasionally to be that bad.

ichpen
03-08-12, 02:47 PM
Actually on the wireless end you can get an eye-fi pro (basically an sd card that acts as a wireless device). Kind of cool. As long as the camera takes SD cards as storage you essentially can have wireless access to the content.

Good advice on the go pro, they're not suitable for this purpose. Blackvue is almost perfect. It has gps, it loops, it's pretty small but 140 degree angle is meh, and lack of 60 fps is another drawback.

CancerJCC
03-08-12, 08:39 PM
Actually on the wireless end you can get an eye-fi pro (basically an sd card that acts as a wireless device). Kind of cool. As long as the camera takes SD cards as storage you essentially can have wireless access to the content.

Oh that is cool! Thanks for the info.

As far as the Blackvue I can see your gripes. I'm all ears on any other ones you come across!