: Lending out Diff bushing removal tool

CTSV_Rob
03-06-12, 01:57 AM
Here's the deal:
$100 Deposit through Paypal and when it gets returned to me I will credit your PayPal account $80. The $20 dollars will cover shipping. The Shipping will be UPS Ground, FedEx ground, or USPS. I need to figure out which would be best.

6 SPEED Z asked about borrowing a tool but I know he is currently on another list. If he agrees to the terms above I will most likely push him ahead of others on the list.

If anyone else wants to get added to the list just post and I will add you.

List so far:
Overd0s3
jmargo
OneFast V

Theses are the pictures of the tool that I will be sending you.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/87691d1330894526-diff-bushing-removal-tool-img_3523.jpg

Worked well for pulling the bushing out, see below.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n472/ThunderV/photobucket-483-1330921959503.jpg

6 SPEED Z
03-06-12, 09:22 AM
Here's the deal:
$100 Deposit through Paypal and when it gets returned to me I will credit your PayPal account $80. The $20 dollars will cover shipping. The Shipping will be UPS Ground, FedEx ground, or USPS. I need to figure out which would be best.

6 SPEED Z asked about borrowing a tool but I know he is currently on another list. If he agrees to the terms above I will most likely push him ahead of others on the list.

If anyone else wants to get added to the list just post and I will add you.

List so far:
Overd0s3
jmargo
OneFast V

Theses are the pictures of the tool that I will be sending you.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/87691d1330894526-diff-bushing-removal-tool-img_3523.jpg

Worked well for pulling the bushing out, see below.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n472/ThunderV/photobucket-483-1330921959503.jpg

Yes I would be interested if it is an install tool as well?? I know sounds stupid but I plan on using the CS diff bushing and a tool needs to install as well. What you have is great for the UUC mount which has no shell needing to be pressed back in. I will just wait for the CS tool. Thank You.

Mike

----------

Yes I would be interested if it is an install tool as well?? I know sounds stupid but I plan on using the CS diff bushing and a tool needs to install as well. What you have is great for the UUC mount which has no shell needing to be pressed back in. I will just wait for the CS tool. Thank You.

Mike

Hold that thought. If a bushing is available from Luke at Lindsay I might just jump and take you up on your tool!!

CTSV_Rob
03-06-12, 12:20 PM
A good question, I will try to call max today to see what he thinks. I am thinking you would just need to turn the plug over and maybe a longer threaded rod. The threaded rod wouldn't be a problem I have a piece long enough to add the additional material required for the length of the bushing.

6 SPEED Z
03-06-12, 12:29 PM
Just heard from another posting UUC bushings no longer available, that leaves CS only, so the tool needs to be a press out/press in deal. If you can rig it for that, I will be the test dummy and see if it works, lol. Let me know I will order a bushing from Max soon.

And yea if this all goes down I am more than fine with the terms, if I could be the first in line no prob, thanks

OneFast V
03-06-12, 01:12 PM
i just ordered my CS diff bushing... and may or may not be able to get at it this week. let me know when I'm up!

CancerJCC
03-06-12, 01:41 PM
Just heard from another posting UUC bushings no longer available, that leaves CS only, so the tool needs to be a press out/press in deal. If you can rig it for that, I will be the test dummy and see if it works, lol. Let me know I will order a bushing from Max soon.

And yea if this all goes down I am more than fine with the terms, if I could be the first in line no prob, thanks

No it doesn't. You only need the tool to pull the old one out. Have the new one in the freezer over night and if necessary hit the diff sleeve with some heat. I have done 3 and haven't had a problem but with one. I ended up just hitting it with some 60 grit and it slipped right in though. G/L! (Also I did the 3rd without the tool but I won't get into that route). Its possible though.

6 SPEED Z
03-06-12, 01:43 PM
No it doesn't. You only need the tool to pull the old one out. Have the new one in the freezer over night and if necessary hit the diff sleeve with some heat. I have done 3 and haven't had a problem but with one. I ended up just hitting it with some 60 grit and it slipped right in though. G/L! (Also I did the 3rd without the tool but I won't get into that route). Its possible though.

Ok did not know that, but either way I am out, just got off the phone with CS and parts and a tool are on the way, be here Friday. Guess you know what my plans are for the weekend:lildevil:

CancerJCC
03-06-12, 01:49 PM
Ok did not know that, but either way I am out, just got off the phone with CS and parts and a tool are on the way, be here Friday. Guess you know what my plans are for the weekend:lildevil:

:) Good luck! I'll be around if you get hung up somewhere just PM me and I'll get you my email addy for a faster response.

Nick4208
03-06-12, 02:54 PM
I need to do this when the weather gets a little better. Alone with a few other things. Would it help to put a little grease or vaseline on the bushing?

jmargo
03-06-12, 03:00 PM

I thought there was a 4 week backlog on the tool.

6 SPEED Z
03-06-12, 03:10 PM
I thought there was a 4 week backlog on the tool.

Not sure what happened, but she called and I was not gonna tell her no, for sure.

CTSV_Rob
03-06-12, 05:40 PM
I just got off the phone with max and this tool will not work to install the CS bushings. I would need to make another plug to install the bushing and I have not planned for that. If someone needs it to remove a bushing it will work fine but it will not work to install the bushing.

jmargo
03-06-12, 06:54 PM
Would a thick washer work ? You just need to pull the bushing into the housing.

CTSV_Rob
03-06-12, 09:08 PM
That Might work but the washer would need to have an ID large enough to clear the inner portion of the bushing and be think enough to make full contact with the outer part of the bushing.

Something like this might work but I don't have the dimensions of the CS bushing to tell which one would be the correct one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flat-washers/=gjv3dc

The change that would need to be done would be to put a counter bore in the part touching the new busing so that it will make contact with the outer portion and not the inner portion of the New bushing (it protrudes past the outer and it has to, to accomodate GM cradle design). Since the CS bushing has a flange on it similar to the GM design it would be best to make the piece larger to make more contact with the outer portion to make sure it does not get damaged while you are installing it.

----------

BTW, I talked with Max at Creative Steel, good guy and I already have the CS front plate holder on the front of my V. I just did it to get a sign off (got a fix it ticket for no front plate) but I liked the way it mounted and the quality of the piece I left it on. he also has a few more things I will be buying soon. :thumbsup:

CancerJCC
03-07-12, 09:49 PM
I need to do this when the weather gets a little better. Alone with a few other things. Would it help to put a little grease or vaseline on the bushing?

Couldn't hurt but its a press fit so probably very little. (It will all be displaced when you start tapping it in).

Nick4208
03-08-12, 10:35 AM
Ok every post I read about the rear diff bushing I havent seen anything about grease. Thanks.

Overd0s3
03-09-12, 12:26 AM
I sent the deposit on Monday and I thought I jumped the gun too soon I guess thinking that this tool would work to install the new bushing.
I am reading mixed reviews though, freezing it should shrink it a little bit and I have a clamping tool that I use to compress brake pistons when I do brakes on my cars and if not grind the outside of the bushing with some sandpaper and hopefully that will do the trick.

6 SPEED Z
03-11-12, 08:27 AM
I just finished installing the CS bushing, very nice product, the stock bushing was toast, it came apart inside the housing, I could grab the driveshaft and move the diff a good inch up and down, so it was totally wasted. The CS diff tool I think is a must,
very nice also, hell it even has a wheel bearing in it to make things nice and smooth when you are wrenching on it to get
the old housing out.

CTSV_Rob
04-07-12, 12:58 PM
I have the tool back and I can send it out again to the next person on the list.

jmargo
OneFast V

Please send a reply soon, 54inches has asked to use the tool (sounds wrong). If you do not need it please reply.

OneFast V
04-09-12, 11:33 AM
no longer in need of it thanks!

JDB
04-10-12, 05:09 PM
Did you make the tool so that you can also install the CS bushing?

If so, I have a CS bushing sitting on my workbench ready to go in.

Would a brake piston tool be able to do this? I need to crawl under there and see what's in the way, if it'll work.