: Rocking/Swaying at Normal Higway Speeds?

Vee
03-05-12, 09:46 PM
Lately I have noticed a side-to-side rocking while driving at normal highway speeds. I actually get rocked side-to-side in my seat a bit, especially after a bump or dip in the road. It almost feels like driving on a really windy day, except there's no wind. My rear tires have a lot of meat left on them, but my front's suck (to spread out the financial hit of buying tires I do 2 at a time). The "swaying" to me feels like it may be from the rear (where the good tires are). Any known issues that have this symptom? Any ideas on what it may be or what to look for?

----------

PS: The rear was replaced on warranty a couple years back with the updated one. My car is an '05

darkman
03-05-12, 10:15 PM
Are the tires wearing evenly? How many miles on the car?

rand49er
03-05-12, 10:25 PM
When my OEM Goodyear runflats were toward the end of their life, they "tracked" like crazy in the slight depressions created by the many thousands of cars before me. New tires solved it.

The only other time I've felt that is in a gusting cross wind.

Vee
03-06-12, 01:31 AM
Darkman, The back tires are wearing evenly, but seems the front left has more wear than its counterpart. My V has less than 50k (about 46k).

Rand49er: Not running with the run-flats. Feels exactly like a gusting crosswind.

I usually run my tires till they're about slicks. But this didn't happen before the last tire change. I prob need new fronts, but I'm feeling it in my seat, not at the wheel.

darkman
03-06-12, 06:54 AM
The number one suspect is the tires as Randy suggested. My second guess would be wheel alignment. (This car requires a 4-wheel alignment to get it right.) I think the first thing I would check though (since its free) is all the suspension fasteners to make sure everything is tight. This would include all of the cradle bolts front and rear. Finally, although less iikely given your mileage, it could be the general condition of your shocks, which you could check visulally for leaks.

rand49er
03-06-12, 09:07 AM
The number one suspect is the tires as Randy suggested. My second guess would be wheel alignment. (This car requires a 4-wheel alignment to get it right.) I think the first thing I would check though (since its free) is all the suspension fasteners to make sure everything is tight. This would include all of the cradle bolts front and rear. Finally, although less iikely given your mileage, it could be the general condition of your shocks, which you could check visulally for leaks.As I clicked on this thread this morning, I was thinking of toe-in ... or, in this case, maybe toe-out? Vee, you didn't mention having hit any big potholes lately or maybe a curb, but as darkman suggests, it might be worthwhile to check the alignment.

Natedog
03-06-12, 11:37 AM
Check front shocks too... i could see how someone would describe the feeling of having a blown shock as 'swaying' after hitting bumps...

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-06-12, 12:51 PM
Hi Vee,

I'm sorry to read you've been experiencing a swaying! If you wouldn't mind private messaging me with your name and VIN, I can investigate on your behalf.

Please let us know if you are able to resolve the issue on your owns; I see some very helpful community feedback above.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service