: Seat design - 2013 ATS

RAB
03-05-12, 05:33 PM
I hope the front seats in the 2013 ATS have been designed properly. If Cadillac/GM once again wrongly extole (spin) the virtues of "thin seat technology" for the upcoming ATS I will be VERY concerned. The "thin seat technology" seats in the 2nd Gen CTS - and all the problems and discomfort owners have had with them - represent the #1 source of criticism for the entire car.
It's hard to believe a company the size of GM can't design a truly proper seat for a Cadillac sport sedan. I am quite sure they can, if they put their minds to it.
BTW.. for anyone questioning the validity of my comments, note that I have owned three 2nd Gen CTS's ('08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4) and I suspect I've come to know a thing or two about the seats in the vehicle. Cadillac need to (finally) get the seat design right in this important upcoming car, and not repeat past errors.
GM product planners, designers and engineers reading this... are you listening??

thebigjimsho
03-05-12, 08:15 PM
You don't have a Recaro equipped V seat in that list thurr...

rand49er
03-05-12, 08:35 PM
Car & Driver sure won't let GM forget how much they dislike the Corvette seats. They harp on it every chance they get.

Well, true to form, I'll be following everyone* in getting an ATS-V since I may be looking at early 2014 to be getting one, so I figure I'll have a better feeling which seat (std, Recaro, whatever) will suit me best.

Does tbjs have a lithp?

* Meaning I probably will wait and see how others perceive whatever seat options are available before taking the plunge.

thebigjimsho
03-06-12, 01:55 PM
Does Nelly?

C&C
03-06-12, 02:58 PM
If Caddy is serious, about competing at the highest level in this segment, seats have to be spot-on; that is a true measure of a quality sports sedan.

rand49er
03-06-12, 05:15 PM
If Caddy is serious, about competing at the highest level in this segment, seats have to be spot-on; that is a true measure of a quality sports sedan.Seats are certainly important, especially if they detract from the driving experience, but I'd say it's one component of an entire package. There's always a weakest component, too.

And, just to rag on C&D some more, they don't like the Recaros in the V2, either.

HansK
03-07-12, 09:46 AM
I had no problem with my seats until I drove a DTS while my car was in the shop. I had sat in recaros but never long enough to get a real feel for them.

M5eater
03-07-12, 09:50 AM
And, just to rag on C&D some more, they don't like the Recaros in the V2, either.

Says the publication that retains the accord on their 10best list even though Honda themselves have said it's an utterly booring car with lumpy seats and is being left in the dust in all aspects by it's competition. They even had 2 complaints about this in their own magazine and their response was ' well the 4cylinder with a manual in the coupe is good!'

utter BS using a single trim level that still has lumpy seats and uninspiring design to raise the entire platform to a pedestal it doesn't deserve.

JimmyH
03-13-12, 07:26 PM
I had no problem with my seats until I drove a DTS while my car was in the shop. I had sat in recaros but never long enough to get a real feel for them.

I could live in a DTS cabin.

thebigjimsho
03-15-12, 03:01 PM
No thanks.

Loveldos
03-26-12, 12:47 AM
I've read that the ATS will offer a "sports seats" option. The pictures of the Red and Carbon trim interior show the adjustable thigh bolster, which alone will be quite an improvement from the 2nd gen-CTS's seats (that's probably the "sport seat" option difference). Here's a pic:

MikeTerp
04-05-12, 12:09 AM
Seats are certainly important, especially if they detract from the driving experience, but I'd say it's one component of an entire package. There's always a weakest component, too.

Well, Caddy better pay attention to the seats. If they seriously think they can save $100 per car by putting in crappy seats they are nuts. If they seriously want to compete with the Europeans, they have no chance if they deliver less than A+ seats and handlng. NO skimping on seats and materials. Cost it out. If you hit a homerun, people will still buy. They won't buy perceived crap if you othewise nickel and dime the car and its interior.

JimmyH
04-05-12, 05:09 PM
If that's true, then why is everyone bitching about the degrading quality of BMW and MB interiors?

Stingroo
04-05-12, 06:07 PM
I've read that the ATS will offer a "sports seats" option. The pictures of the Red and Carbon trim interior show the adjustable thigh bolster, which alone will be quite an improvement from the 2nd gen-CTS's seats (that's probably the "sport seat" option difference). Here's a pic:

Awesome. I took that. :lol:

JimmyH
04-05-12, 08:08 PM
roo, you so famous photographer, you ansel adams, you...

thebigjimsho
04-06-12, 07:35 PM
Gary88, watch out!

Stingroo
04-07-12, 09:12 AM
Word.