Cadillac Owners Forum banner

California emisssions requirements vs AZ, NV, UT, and NM?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  GMX322V S/C 
#1 ·
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new Vagon which may involve a dealer trade due to my option requirements and limited local inventory. CA dealers have a better inventory and several have V's with the options I want. Is there any emissions equipment difference on California vehicles compared to adjacent states or are they all the same now?

#2 ·
I could be wrong, but I think, at this point, all 50 states emissions are the same from the factory. Once registered, any alterations here in CA have to abide by the C.A.R.B. (CA Air Resource Board).

Again, I could be wrong, but I think this is correct.

#3 ·
Actually, I'm kind of curious about this myself. We bought my wife a Toyota FJ last year, and the emission was listed as '50 state,' but when ordering the V, the emissions did need to be specified, and looking at any options sheet, there are several emissions options.

#4 ·
If you live in Ca and buy from out of state, you still have to have it smog checked, even though its 50 state legal. At least this is what they made me do when I bought a '09 CTS-V.
Since you live outside of Ca, I would think its easier for you because we have the toughest smog requirements in the country. Its all about money. They may have you, like me, go down and
have it checked, just to collect some smog fee's. Cecil................

#5 ·
Take into consideration that California dealers are NOTORIOUS for drilling holes in the front bumper for the license plate during the PDI process.

Since you live in AZ, you know that we don't have front plates here and you may end up with a Vagon that has been "butchered"!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
That's why they make silly putty! Seriously, though, most dealers do not drill holes in cars of this nature, even in California. My STI, SRT-8, GT-500, and even my SVO Mustang never had front license plate brackets installed. Interestingly, I did have to sign a waiver at the Cadillac dealer releasing them from responsibilty regarding the front license plate.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'd forgotten about the CA front license plate bracket. That has me almost more concerned than any smog equipment difference. I know they can be repaired to a finish that no one would know it had been there but it's about a $300 cost if it's not "in the deal".

#11 ·
...and anywhere else in the world. The emissions "options" are just there to satisfy the regulatory bodies for the particular state or region the car is initially sold into. Every CTS-V is exactly the same from a performance and emissions standpoint. Why they can't just list ALL of the regulations it meets is beyond me. What a waste of time, money, and resources...

#10 ·
If you buy out of state, you will be required to take and pass a Republik of Kali smog test unless is has the Republik of Kali smog cert #. Some out of state dealers do order vehicles with both their state smog cert # and Kali's too due to some of their out of state sales are Kali. When I purchased my new '09 CTS-V I told the dealership that I would tear up the check in front of them if they mounted a front license plate. It was a cash sale and they did not want to lose the sale. I know that the Republik of Kali is putting more pressure on the dealers to install the front license plate bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.