: Top engine clean?

Natedog
03-04-12, 08:26 PM
What's your guys product of choice and process for doing a top engine clean on the V? Also, where should the foam/spray/fluid be inserted? a pic would be most helpful

PISNUOFF
03-05-12, 09:19 AM
Are you talking inside the motor or the exterior? I use simple green on the exterior. Let it soak on there while te engine is running then spray off with the 'spot free rinse' at the car wash. I've never had any issues with getting any sensors wet.

Natedog
03-05-12, 09:37 AM
Nah I'm talkin about using BG or Seafoam to run through a vacuum hose to clean out the upper engine area.. the dealership wanted 225 for the fuel induction service since I'm over 50,000 miles now but figured I'd do this myself

mstrjon32
03-05-12, 02:00 PM
I used to use GM Top Engine cleaner, but it's been discontinued for some BS environmental reason. The stuff was brilliant. IMO, Seaform doesn't work half as well.

So, in conclusion, I have no useful information for you.

repenttokyo
03-05-12, 03:00 PM
I used to use GM Top Engine cleaner, but it's been discontinued for some BS environmental reason. The stuff was brilliant. IMO, Seaform doesn't work half as well.

So, in conclusion, I have no useful information for you.

how did you introduce it into the motor?

mstrjon32
03-05-12, 04:31 PM
To be honest, I've never done it on an LSx, but should be the same as every other motor I've done it on: Disconnect the brake boost vacuum line, put a new hose on, put a funnel in the hose, start the engine, slowly pour the bottle in, and then if the motor doesn't stall, I shut it off. Reconnect brake booster line, let it sit for an hour, then start it up and enjoy the smoke show.

darkman
03-05-12, 06:16 PM
Pace Performance still sells GM Top Engine Cleaner P/N 88861802.

Natedog
03-06-12, 12:33 PM
To be honest, I've never done it on an LSx, but should be the same as every other motor I've done it on: Disconnect the brake boost vacuum line, put a new hose on, put a funnel in the hose, start the engine, slowly pour the bottle in, and then if the motor doesn't stall, I shut it off. Reconnect brake booster line, let it sit for an hour, then start it up and enjoy the smoke show.Thanks for the info... i saw some videos on youtube of folks doing this, but i'm wondering if you can pinpoint for us less knowledgable folks where the appropriate brake booster line on our LS2/6 might be. searching suprisingly didn't turn up much useful info.. thx

trukk
03-06-12, 01:01 PM
I just used seafoam in my car. 145k miles, 70k with my cam. Was getting a fairly consistent CEL, and it was time for emissions. I got the seafoam bottle and the intake spray. I added to the fuel, engine oil, and then while the car was running ran the intake spray through the brake booster line. I went brake booster, as I didn't feel like taking my custome intake tubing apart. Let it sit for a while; turned it on; killed a few flocks of geese with the 'mega death cloud'. [ Actually my wife yelled at me "There's kids playing outside!" ]

Afterwards, ran the snot out of it (to get rid of the carbon, yeah!), then ran through the tank of gas, and finally changed the oil. No more CEL.

Car passed emissions fine, although I did get a few raised eyebrows from the tester and some other customers at the emisisions place (MD does the OBD2 check). My car counds like NASCAR.

Very happy with the SeaFoam.

-Chris

CancerJCC
03-06-12, 01:48 PM
I just used seafoam in my car. 145k miles, 70k with my cam. Was getting a fairly consistent CEL, and it was time for emissions. I got the seafoam bottle and the intake spray. I added to the fuel, engine oil, and then while the car was running ran the intake spray through the brake booster line. I went brake booster, as I didn't feel like taking my custome intake tubing apart. Let it sit for a while; turned it on; killed a few flocks of geese with the 'mega death cloud'. [ Actually my wife yelled at me "There's kids playing outside!" ]

Afterwards, ran the snot out of it (to get rid of the carbon, yeah!), then ran through the tank of gas, and finally changed the oil. No more CEL.

Car passed emissions fine, although I did get a few raised eyebrows from the tester and some other customers at the emisisions place (MD does the OBD2 check). My car counds like NASCAR.

Very happy with the SeaFoam.

-Chris

Excellent! Glad it worked so well for you. I too seafoamed my car but with about 75k through the brake booster. It spewed a small amount of smoke but nothing worth mentioning IMHO. Oh well it certainly didn't hurt anything. Oh and I also did the crank case treatment as well as the gas tank all at the same time. No real results I could tell.

RippyPartsDept
03-06-12, 01:53 PM
88861802 is GM's replacement for the Top Engine Cleaner

it is a concentrated chemical ... you are supposed to pour in something like a half oz or so into each cylinder and then suck it all out after letting it soak
(look up the bulletin if you want the specifics - i think AJ posted it here actually)

trukk
03-06-12, 03:41 PM
Excellent! Glad it worked so well for you. I too seafoamed my car but with about 75k through the brake booster. It spewed a small amount of smoke but nothing worth mentioning IMHO. Oh well it certainly didn't hurt anything. Oh and I also did the crank case treatment as well as the gas tank all at the same time. No real results I could tell.

Just and FYI: no smoke at idle. Rev it to 2-2.5k, and gud-lawd! (at least for mine).

-Chris

repenttokyo
03-07-12, 04:21 PM
Would love for someone to post a pic of the appropriate brake booster line to use for the LS6 :)

CancerJCC
03-07-12, 09:01 PM
Just and FYI: no smoke at idle. Rev it to 2-2.5k, and gud-lawd! (at least for mine).

-Chris

Yeah I took it out and beat on it like the directions I followed said to. Minimal smoke though, now my old Cobalt I did spewed! :)

Would love for someone to post a pic of the appropriate brake booster line to use for the LS6 :)

Its the biggest vacuum line (of them all) that runs between the brake booster (behind the master cylinder) and the intake manifold (on the back). I'll look for a pic though.

EDIT/ Here you go!

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/Internet%20Uploads/BrakeBooster.jpg

Natedog
03-08-12, 08:56 AM
thx for the pic... i assume you remove the hose at the booster end and then use that end to feed the fluid in? i guess you could remove the manifold end and use another extra hose, but just curious what's easiest..

trukk
03-08-12, 09:31 AM
thx for the pic... i assume you remove the hose at the booster end and then use that end to feed the fluid in? i guess you could remove the manifold end and use another extra hose, but just curious what's easiest..

I just pulled it from the booster end. Again, I used the spray, and not the liquid (nervous about pouring any liquid into my intake...HYDROLOCKITIS, probabaly not an issue, but I'm not). If you pull the booster line while idling the car will most likely stall (unless you cover nearly the entire line with your thumb, again, this is why I went with the seafoam spray, easier to get it into the manifold, and a bit less scary for me.

-Chris

repenttokyo
03-08-12, 05:52 PM
thanks for the pic CancerJCC!

soflarick
03-08-12, 06:44 PM
Does the old GM formulation affect plastics?

Amsoil has an aerosol induction cleaner that may be used in place of a liquid in a bottle. I've used it on numerous cars with good results. Seafoam is easily replicated. Do a Google search and you'll find out what's in it.

CancerJCC
03-08-12, 08:37 PM

I pulled it at the booster and poured it in that way. SLOWLY is the key, you don't want to stall the car while your pouring until its almost all in. Then you dump the last bit to choke the motor.

thanks for the pic CancerJCC!

Np sir!

lollygagger8
03-28-12, 09:45 AM

Yes, that's how I've always done my cars. (Not my V yet, but I might try it)
The brake booster has so much vacuum that if you put it by the top of the can of seafoam it will pull the liquid out not even submerged. If you put the hose down in the can it will probably suck enough seafoam out to kill the engine. At least it killed all my Jeeps that I've used it on.