: Does a "factory" tune up on a 90's fleetwood really cost a $1,000

megatron
11-16-04, 11:23 AM
I was wondering about this and read it in another post here I understand this cady uses the LT1 engine if this is indeed true why is it so expensive? I'am considering one as i'am huge fan of RWD cars. Assuming one does the work themselves a tune isn't hard to do what would it run me? I'am guessing most of this is lasbor cost I'am guessing? Thanks for anything you 90's fleetwood owners can tell me about these big caddy would be great thanks a bunch.

scurling
11-16-04, 01:15 PM
Megatron:

Yes, I can vouch for the $1,200 tune up bill. Actually, the local Chevy dealer quoted me $1,195. I had taken my '94 Fltw to the local shop I use and requested a tuneup because it was running terribly. I received a call about an hour later at work. The shop owner asked me to sit down and then he gave the the price tag. I put him on hold, called the local Chevy dealer and asked them for a price guote to tune up a '94 Corvette LT1, where the price was confirmed.

The pricing in my oppinion is primarily labor. THe water pump must be removed, the spark plug wires run in channels on the underside ofhte engine, and the rotor rebuild kit is rather expensive as a part itself.

You will never find an easier engine to work on, as the LT1 in the Fltwd boddy, and I plan to do my next tuneup myself. We can get discounted GM parts from a number of on-line parts houses. If you want, I don't mind sending you a copy of the receipt figures and parts required.

AS I see it, even if it took all day one Saturday, it would be worth the $1,000. to $1,200. that the dealers and shops want.

Hope this helps.

Revoh
11-16-04, 01:45 PM
That's strange. I had the local Chevy dealer down the street from my office do a tune-up on my '95 Fleetwood, and it was only about $500, and that included changing the belt and changing the transmission fluid. Plugs made a huge improvement, too!

And I thought that was high! For $1,000, I'd'a got off my lazy butt and done some work. :bonkers:

scurling
11-16-04, 02:15 PM
What type of tuneup did they do for $500.00. The rotor rebuild kit can cost as much as $300.00 itself. Now, that's GM OEM parts. And, the full tuneup takes an experienced LT1 mechanic no less than two (2) hours, that's $120 minimum labor for starters.

I agree, it's not worth the $1,200 shop rate price, but you either got an unusually good price, or they didn't do a full tune-up. The tune-up I'm speaking about is the 60k mile interval tune-up/maintenance recommended by the factory. I stretched my first tune-up to 82K, but I almost had to push it into the shop because the rotor was so badly worn.

I was between a rock and a hard place when I got the pricing informaiton, and the shop knew me well, so I didn't think they were trying to price gouge me.

carguy16
11-16-04, 03:43 PM
Just called the Chevy dealer, for new plugs, wires, rotor cap, and water pump he said roughly around $1000.00 :yup:

carguy16
11-16-04, 07:51 PM
Can we go into detail here about the:

1.) Rotor
2.) Cap
3.) Coils

I have no idea what those three item's do. Optispark...

I know these things need to be replaed as well, Spark plugs, wires, coils, water pump and seal, distributer cap??? I thing these are the things necesary for the tune up.

My 94 FWB has 107,500 miles on it, and im sure the time for a tune up should be here already, but its going to wait, because I dont have $1,200.00 for a tune up! Get real, how much money are we talking here for parts??? If I bought all the parts necesary for the tune up, and took the car to the Auto Shop at my school, do you think the kid's and the shop teacher(who is a mechanic) will be able to do it???

It runs fine, but i noticed cruising through the parking lot at 6 mph with no throttle, it seems to run a little rough.

Megatron:

Yes, I can vouch for the $1,200 tune up bill. Actually, the local Chevy dealer quoted me $1,195. I had taken my '94 Fltw to the local shop I use and requested a tuneup because it was running terribly. I received a call about an hour later at work. The shop owner asked me to sit down and then he gave the the price tag. I put him on hold, called the local Chevy dealer and asked them for a price guote to tune up a '94 Corvette LT1, where the price was confirmed.

The pricing in my oppinion is primarily labor. THe water pump must be removed, the spark plug wires run in channels on the underside ofhte engine, and the rotor rebuild kit is rather expensive as a part itself.

You will never find an easier engine to work on, as the LT1 in the Fltwd boddy, and I plan to do my next tuneup myself. We can get discounted GM parts from a number of on-line parts houses. If you want, I don't mind sending you a copy of the receipt figures and parts required.

AS I see it, even if it took all day one Saturday, it would be worth the $1,000. to $1,200. that the dealers and shops want.

Hope this helps.