Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Who has done their own PDI?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pmsteinm 
#1 ·
So, I've decided that my next ordered car will not even be touched by the dealer before I do. However, a PDI isn't simply taking the white wraps off and the plastic bags off in the interior.

For those that have asked their cars not have the PDI done, have you went with a 'nothing at all' approach or did you let them do the PDI except the interior/exterior de-wrapping bits? That's mostly what I'm interested in. I'd rather not drive it 30miles and find out it's low on fluids or the turn signals don't work. On the other hand, complex instruction is simply an opportunity to screw something up.

#4 ·
I'm mostly afraid they're going to run this thing through the automatic car scratcher/washer. The 'unwrapping' is mostly just for me so I can pretend it's Christmas.

Those are both good ideas though, I'll definitely give it a good ask.

#6 ·
M5eater said:
I'm mostly afraid they're going to run this thing through the automatic car scratcher/washer. The 'unwrapping' is mostly just for me so I can pretend it's Christmas.

Those are both good ideas though, I'll definitely give it a good ask.
I hear ya. When I got my V1, it had 2 ghost swirls on the doors. That was the first time I used my Griots polisher and polish.

#7 ·
I was very specific in that they were not to unwrap the interior plastic or remove the window stickers except to be able to move the car off the transport. I unwrapped everything myself and kept the plastic covers and adhesives stuck to all the trip pieces. Interesting to read the seat manufacturer's production labels, etc. and all the assembly line decals that were originally placed on it. My salesman even got the transport driver to sign the train documentation while it was enroute by rail. He knew I was crazy! :) The only thing I was not thrilled with is that when the car arrived it badly needed washing and their detailer was a little heavy handed with the buffer creating some swirl marks on the finish. Fortunately, I was able to buff those out at home with my much more gentle buffer. I did the same with my Z06/Z07 and now have a closet full of bags of plastic covers and decals. :)

#8 ·
If you have confidence in your dealer, let them do their job. I've never had any problem with my Corvettes or V's, and I'm pretty anal at that stage. The only thing to watch for is those tacky dealer logos they'll put on the bottom of the trunk lids, if you don't remind them to leave them off.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Jud

#9 ·
JFJr said:
If you have confidence in your dealer, let them do their job. I've never had any problem with my Corvettes or V's, and I'm pretty anal at that stage. The only thing to watch for is those tacky dealer logos they'll put on the bottom of the trunk lids, if you don't remind them to leave them off.

Jud
When i bought my first vette an 03 Z they had vinyl lettering on the back....so as theyre prepping it I ask the sales guy so what is this thing im buying? He responds its. 2003 corvette Z06 50th anniversary etc.... i cut him off and say so we can both agree its not a F...ing billboard so get that crap off of it and dont mount the front plate bracket leave that in the trunk too.

The V's prep was pre-empted with the no front plate bracket and NO dealer logos on MY car.

#10 ·
JFJr said:

Jud
Yeah, mine was a demo. So it had a nice, big, shiny, chrome Batchelor badge on the trunklid.

#11 ·
I was there when they did my PDI, but I trusted the dealer and their lead top tech did the PDI process, so I know it was done right. Even if I wasn't there, I would be ok with them doing the PDI. Washing it was a different story. Their detail guys sucked! Should have had my guy wash the car and wax it with Zaino!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.