Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Traded in my CTS-V for a Chevy Volt!

7K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  sfv41901 
#1 ·
I really, really loved my CTS-V. There wasn't a day that went by that I did not fire her up and smile. Every time I drove it was special. It was just such an enjoyable car in all facets. However, it was my one and only car, my daily driver. Obviously, the car sucks down gas like it is going out of style, which I knew and didn't mind, since my round-trip commute to work was only 9 miles. I might only fill her up once per week, no big deal.

Well, back in December we bought an awesome house and got a great deal on it (half price from when it was built in 2007). However, my commute went from 9 miles to 32 miles round-trip. Now, this is not an unreasonable distance to drive, only about 20-25 minutes, no big deal. I knew that when we bought the new house, I would be spending more in gas. I wanted to wait a month to see how much my commute costed before I made the move. I said if it is too high I'd buy a Chevy Volt.

Well last month, I spent $352 in gas, alone! Once I saw that, it was a done deal.

I picked-up a fairly loaded Volt in the same Tri-white metallic of my CTS-V. I got it for 0% for 60 months with 2k off the sticker price. So I'm paying less per month and my gas bill will probably be close to $0 per month.

Obviously you cannot compare a Volt to a CTS-V in any way, shape or form performance-wise, but that is the point.

I'll take the money that I save in gas and buy a toy later on in the year, something with a V8, a stick and a bad attitude. I'm thinking of a C5 vert with heads and cam that I can abuse and waste gas on! :bouncy:

Thanks everyone and good luck! :cool2:

See less See more
#3 ·
Shockingly different choices in cars for the same person. Glad you are happy though and that's all that counts.

If you own a V and start to worry about gas mileage, I can see why you traded it. But the lack of power in that Volt would cause me much more pain than the price of gas! What is it 150hp? YOW.

#6 ·
I hear you on the gas mileage of the daily driver. My work has been slow and I'm saving gas whenever I can. I've even not taken the V out for long day trips because I didn't want to spend $120 for 2 tanks of gas.

I'm even thinking of what I could replace the Town Car with when the time comes and would get a hybrid if I could. Or even a diesel.

#15 ·
BWhite58 said:
150 mi round trip . That isnt the best use of a Volt . If I understand correctly , after your out of the charged battery window the mpg is just "<average" .
That depends. If you get 50 miles per charge, that's only about 50 miles on gas as most metropolitan areas have charging stations.

Boston has areas where you get free parking and pay for a charge.

#16 ·
I use a jetta tdi as a commuter 1500 miles a month....comparable gasser was 10 mpg worse....can complain about 35 mpg at 90 or 42 cuising highway.....was a demo with a 33 k sticker for 25k. If the passat were available diesel i would have went that route.....couldnt charge a volt at work and too much money up front.....and i dont trust the first of a new technology....and a prius is outright gay.

#19 ·
I don't blame you at all. My dad is getting a Volt in July when his lease is up. He is going to lease the Volt and the lease deals GM is offering run $349.00 per month which makes it a steal when compared to a high monthly lease payment plus gas. I spend $75.00 per week on gas on my V Coupe and I only drive 30-32 miles roundtrip per day. My lease payment plus gas is a bit over $1,000.00 per month not including insurance and registration fees. I just paid the registration on my V the other day and it ran $539.00 for the year. Insurance runs me around: $1200.00 per year. The V is NOT a cheap car to lease or own!

#21 ·
I understand the OP's concern. I fill up my V once a week to the tune of around $250 a month. I seriously thought about trading down for a more fuel-efficient car. I went so far as to have my car appraised for trade at a dealer. Of course, he lowballed me by quite a lot.

My current plan is to pay off the V this year (early), keep it, and ultimately just pay cash for a cheap used daily driver if gas really goes through the roof.

#28 ·
Yeah the timing on my V purchase was perfect - as soon as I bought it, gas prices started going through the roof. I have a 60 mi a day commute, have to fill up 2-3x a week. It hurts, but right now I don't have any other choice. The simple fact is that I love driving this car, so I'll make it work. I thought about getting a Jetta TDi, but I wasn't willing to make that kind of driving sacrifice. We'll see though, if it gets really bad I might buy a cheap high mpg beater to drive to work.

#32 ·
Lucky for my wife and I, we aren't strapped for cash so badly that we have to give up the "V" or the Vette for a Volt.
We have one of each in the garage. My wife drives the Volt every day to work and I get a choice between the Vette or the Vagon. Hurt me. Sometimes she lets me drive the Volt (when she's out of town like today). Volt is fun --- just in a totally different way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.