: New Owner in Need of Some Assistance w/1996 Brougham

BlackLac96
11-16-04, 02:26 AM
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and also the brand new owner of a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Triple black in color and very nice. I was very impressed with the car and I had always wanted one and when this one came up the deal went through. I traded in a 1996 Pontiac GTP and a 1992 Cadillac Seville to afford it though!! Anyway I was wondering if there are any common problems to expect on this car, chronic ones that most owners endure. AND I have two questions about problems I already found. First, the traction control light comes on a few seconds after you move the car in gear. The previous owner said he had it disconnected because he didn't like the way the system worked. Where is it possible that something would have been disconnected. I would like to have it work again. The other thing is the driver door lock. It sounds like it is grinding after you open it with the key or move the latch, but it doesn' t work. All you get is this grinding noise that lasts for a few seconds after you lock the door. And the last thing is in regards to the brakes. When the transmission down shifts into first and you are coasting to a stop in traffic it really feels like the front end grabs and there is a sort of pulsation feeling when you come to a stop and when you first start out until the trans shifts to second. Also right before you come to a stop even after the trans shifts there is a sort of knock in the left wheel area. But the brakes seem to grab so much. Well this got long, but I'm really excited with the car and I hope to get some responses on this site. If you want to email me separately then do it at infinity302@surferie.net Thanks

sizanjdf
11-16-04, 06:01 AM
if it shakes when ur coming to a stop its probably warped brake rotors...shouldnt cost more than 100 bucks for the both of them and may as well change pads if u do the rotors. the rest I have no Idea.

HotRodSaint
11-16-04, 12:09 PM
Knock on front left wheel could be wheel bearings?

The main repair issue I've faced, is a clogged heater core. I flushed it my first winter, but had to replace it the next winter. Common issue to the Impala's too.

Areas that need to be inspected periodically are the front balls joints (maybe thats your popping sound?) and the rear lower control arm. These can fail.

Show us some pics!!

HotRodSaint
11-16-04, 12:11 PM
Oh the traction control, check fuses and don't forget the big fuse box on the right side under the hood. This is where I disabled my ride level pump.

scurling
11-16-04, 02:32 PM
Both front lower ball joints on my '94 were shot, and made some noise on tight slow turns, after the initial 47K miles when I purchased the car. You may want to check the front sway bar connection links. Both of mine have broken over the life of the vehicle and were not noticed until I heard them rattling when I hit a bump.

I agree with the front rotor diagnosis. They may be warped. My experience with rotors over the past 15 years, is that the manufacturers put very little additional metal into the products to allow turning the rotors through normal wear and use. These cars are heavy and after 40 to 50K miles, the rotors are well below minimum thickness spec and are only good for a door stop or the metal recycling bin. The bearings are still good, but I replace them since the rotors are off.

I've never had heater core problems, but I do flush and clean ever other year.

nvss
11-16-04, 09:38 PM
The weakest link with the the would be the transmission if it uses the same 4l60e as the impala SS does? HOw many miles? Yes post some pics I love triple black.

BlackLac96
11-17-04, 01:40 AM
Thanks!!
The mechanic is getting the car for the brakes and the knocking noise. I bet it is a balljoint. HotRodSaint, your car looks the same as mine, of course I still have the chrome factory wheels on mine! You have the later edition Cragars right? I'll have to get some pics on here. I did check the fuses in the Traction control and under the hood. Like I said the previous owner told me that he had it purposly disconnected. I'd like to find where though. What is everyone's opinion about driving in snowy weather and the traction control? So far though, this car is great. I'm still trying to decide whether it rides nicer than my '91 Town Car. I know it definately has more power. One last thing...Should I get the transmission fluid changed and the rear differential? The car has 125K on it. Thanks again

HotRodSaint
11-17-04, 12:39 PM
You have the later edition Cragars right?

They are American racing Torque Thrust II's.

But I saw some Cragers that would have looked cool too.

Picking a wheel was the hardest thing to do. :hmm:

BlackLac96
11-17-04, 01:48 PM
I agree with you on the wheel choice part. I always save up money for rims on cars and never end up buying them because I can't decide. Did you go with a 17" rim? Or what size are they? I have a set of Luxor true spoke wire wheels with the center spinners back home that I am praying will fit. I think they would be pretty cool. They arent' the knock-off type. They bolt directly on and have a center cap. BTW do you know the offset for these cars? Thanks

ocjmakaveli
11-17-04, 03:33 PM
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and also the brand new owner of a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Triple black in color and very nice. I was very impressed with the car and I had always wanted one and when this one came up the deal went through. I traded in a 1996 Pontiac GTP and a 1992 Cadillac Seville to afford it though!! Anyway I was wondering if there are any common problems to expect on this car, chronic ones that most owners endure. AND I have two questions about problems I already found. First, the traction control light comes on a few seconds after you move the car in gear. The previous owner said he had it disconnected because he didn't like the way the system worked. Where is it possible that something would have been disconnected. I would like to have it work again. The other thing is the driver door lock. It sounds like it is grinding after you open it with the key or move the latch, but it doesn' t work. All you get is this grinding noise that lasts for a few seconds after you lock the door. And the last thing is in regards to the brakes. When the transmission down shifts into first and you are coasting to a stop in traffic it really feels like the front end grabs and there is a sort of pulsation feeling when you come to a stop and when you first start out until the trans shifts to second. Also right before you come to a stop even after the trans shifts there is a sort of knock in the left wheel area. But the brakes seem to grab so much. Well this got long, but I'm really excited with the car and I hope to get some responses on this site. If you want to email me separately then do it at infinity302@surferie.net Thanks

disconnected has sooo many meanings save your self time and ask the owner what he meant by it hopefully a simple fuse

the pulsatings are definitely warped rotors that is why you also geta sudden stop it may also be your rears are worn out all depends on the mileage but most definitely the fronts need replacing it may seem like when below 5 the rotor will suddenly grip once they hit a bump on the rotor etc.

i dont know about the tranny problems

HotRodSaint
11-17-04, 08:42 PM
Did you go with a 17" rim? Or what size are they? I

They are 18" x 8" with 5 backspace.

FASSTWOOD
11-18-04, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the forum. Here are my .02 cents

Front rotors
Front pads
Possibly ball joints or control arm bushings or both

As far as the traction problems go try your on board diagnostics to see what code comes up... You do this with with your climate control. I'm not sure exactly how on a 96 since its a different computer sytem than a 93-95.

Maybe someone with a 96 could chime in and explain the procedure...

HotRodSaint
11-18-04, 01:40 AM
Maybe someone with a 96 could chime in and explain the procedure...

Now who has a '96 around here? :hmm:

I've never had to access the codes.

I'll check the FSM and get back to you.

BlackLac96
11-18-04, 02:07 AM
Thanks again! I've been doing some research on these cars and it appears that the 4L60-E was a problematic transmission according to a mechanic I know. Has anyone experienced any problems with theirs?

As far as my traction control goes, I'm hoping that I can just find something unplugged. I'm going to get behind the switch to see if that's what is disconnected.

BTW on the cornering lamps, does the little cadillac symbol light up in the amber part or are my bulbs burnt out if there are any?

scurling
11-18-04, 02:52 AM
I have 130K on my '94 and no problems with the transmission. I do keep my foot off the floor though, and treat my gal with tender loving care. Very few hard starts and fewer tire spins.

I know what you mean about the side emblem lights. Mine don't light up, but they look like they should, don't they.

My transmission shop told me not to worry about the read dif. oil. They rec. only keeping it full, and never changing it for the sake of change.

I'll tell you this, I have a 4XAWD Ford Explorer. The factory owners manual says in bold lettering, "do not open the dif. plugs...EVER, unless a leak is observed and fluid is needed.

nvss
11-18-04, 12:36 PM
I have the 4l60e trans on my wagon with 133k and the impala ss with 122k with no problems. The differentail gasket you may want to replace. The stock gasket on did not allow proper lubracation. You need to get one with the two extra hole in the gasket.

carguy16
11-18-04, 06:27 PM
You know what, I have one of those turn signals on the side of my car where the Caddy symbol is burned out. one works, one doesnt. I just cant figure out how to get to the damn thing, I should check my manual, add that to my to do list.

My tranny was just rebuilt at 107,000 miles, because it wouldnt go into reverse. I've pushed it alot within the last 200 miles its had on it, hehe. But now, I am going easy on it to keep heat down, and gas mileage up.
;)

Thanks again! I've been doing some research on these cars and it appears that the 4L60-E was a problematic transmission according to a mechanic I know. Has anyone experienced any problems with theirs?

As far as my traction control goes, I'm hoping that I can just find something unplugged. I'm going to get behind the switch to see if that's what is disconnected.

BTW on the cornering lamps, does the little cadillac symbol light up in the amber part or are my bulbs burnt out if there are any?

BlackLac96
11-19-04, 01:50 AM
The Cadillac crests do light up on the marker lights. Curiosity got the better of me today and when I took the light out sure enough it was burnt out. It takes a 194 bulb which I happened to have lying around to replace a dash light in the car I traded for this one-- :) I know laugh everyone...A 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe. BUT I still need to do the other light. They were both burnt out. CarGuy, all you do is remove a black screw that is to the sides of each headlight by the fenders. It goes right through the marker light and then the light pulls out. It's NOT easy to get aligned back in though. The rubber that runs around it kept getting folded up and kinked.

By the way just to give everyone some info. I've owned a few Caddys, including a 1977 Coupe DeVille, 1981 Sedan DeVille, 1992 Sedan Deville, and a 1992 Seville. The 77 was cool, the '81 was a dog it had one of those 4-6-8 motors or something like that, and both 1992's were overrated. The '92 deville was really reliable and I sold it with 146K. The Seville was junk. Just my 2 cents on these cars.