: Vcim

imachap
03-02-12, 05:15 PM
I was curious though about the VCIM since for some reason onstar cannot complete my account creation for my trial. They said to check back in 7-10 days. Could it be my VCIM? Of so, could I get a replacement with Bluetooth or is that problematic? I have an extended warranty on my 2007 ESV with 35k miles.

CStradling24
03-02-12, 09:18 PM
If you get the replacement with Bluetooth Cadillac will not program it. You have to get the correct replacement for your vehicle, meaning the one without Bluetooth. I have the VCIM with Bluetooth in my 2008 EXT but knowingly lost On-star in the process.

I would keep trying with On-star, and possibly even get Cadillac to try to reprogram it, your going to do ti anyway if you get a new one, maybe they can reprogram the current one and fix the problem.

cosorio
03-02-12, 10:00 PM
Get a used vcim from a 2011 CTS. Mine is working great and I have full RemoteLink functionality including remote start from my iphone.

imachap
03-02-12, 11:20 PM
Get a used vcim from a 2011 CTS. Mine is working great and I have full RemoteLink functionality including remote start from my iphone.

I've read conflicting information about getting a donar VCIM and have access to one off of a 2011 Chevy avalanche.

I like many others would like the full function of Bluetooth with onstar.

I guess I'll keep investigating. I have a friend who owns a couple of Cadillac dealerships. Maybe his parts guys and technicians can help out.

Playdrv4me
03-03-12, 12:17 AM
Something isn't making sense here. The VCIM is coded with the VIN of the vehicle it came out of. This why you LOSE On* functionality when you move a VCIM from one car to another. There are *supposedly* guys out there whom you can send an improperly coded (replacement Bluetooth) VCIM and have it properly coded with your car's VIN, which should then make it work, but to my knowledge there is more involved than just yanking it out of one vehicle, regardless of the year, and popping it another.

However, it is theoretically possible that if you got one of the VCIMs out of a car that supported remotelink, AND you had it programmed to match your VIN, that remotelink functionality would work. Buy a VCIM for Bluetooth, but do NOT buy one anticipating working On*.

imachap
03-07-12, 09:45 AM
I've spoken to a dealership and they advise against getting another VCIM as a replacement. While it may work in some cases, they say that when it doesn't, it creates big problems. I'm not sure why there would be problems that they couldn't fix. If I wanted to purchase a replacement VCIM with bluetooth capibility, shouldn't they be willing to help? I've had a similar issue in the past where my computer module was bad and I had to order another to be reprogrammed. No issues. However, it did not have onstar.

cosorio
03-07-12, 11:24 AM
I dont think Im going to have onstar reprogram my vcim to match my vin. I wanted bluetooth and thats what I got, with the bonus of being able to lock/unlock, remote start, and gives me fuel info and tire pressures, etc. with onstar. I dont really care if my iphone says CTS-V on it instead of my car.

imachap
03-07-12, 11:41 AM
I dont think Im going to have onstar reprogram my vcim to match my vin. I wanted bluetooth and thats what I got, with the bonus of being able to lock/unlock, remote start, and gives me fuel info and tire pressures, etc. with onstar. I dont really care if my iphone says CTS-V on it instead of my car.

What you do to swap out and do you use the iPhone onstar app to remote start?

imachap
03-07-12, 02:33 PM
I went ahead and ordered the new VCIM unit from a dealer and installed myself. The new unit is physically identical to the one I replaced, with the same GPS and Antenna coax connections as on the original unit in car.

Upon installing the new unit, my Onstar three button LED light stays GREEN nnd when I press the Blue button, the system dials out and connects me with ONSTAR and I am able to talk to the Onstar advisors.

When I connected with the ONSTAR folks over the system, I asked for their Tech Support folks and told them I installed a new VCIM unit and I wanted to give them the Station ID and the ESN number that I taken from the label on the back of the new VCIM module.
The advisors said they could not update their information or reactivate my account because they, "could not establish a direct data link," to the car (even though I was speaking to them over a connection established over the Onstar unit). We even re-tried this using the red button. They said when I called them, they could see my Onstar unit's mobile number, but no GPS location information or other data was coming through to them and without that could not complete the set up of my new VCIM unit.

I know my GPS antenna is OK and that is not the problem, because the Nav on the car shows I have a good GPS signal.
Before I try this again with the local dealer, are there any ONSTAR install savvy folks out there that can tell me what steps are missing from the setup of the new VCIM unit?

Does my VIN and the Station ID and ESN from the printed label have to be somehow updated into the new Onstar VCIM by the dealer?
It sure seems to me that since I can speak with the Onstar folks over the new Onstar unit in the car, the problem with the activation is on the network side and they should be able to activate the data services on their end.

Does a Tech 2 tool have to be physically connected to the VCIM before calling the Onstar tech support department and asking them to enter the Station ID and ESN number and requesting the activation of the new VCIM?

I found a number of GM service bulletins that describe how to activate a replacement VCIM unit and I think the only step I did not do was to connect a Tech 2 unit before calling Onstar. I thought the tool was used only to get the Station ID and ESN number from the new VCIM, but maybe it is is required to put the VCIM in the correct mode for the Onstar tech support folks to be able to fully activate it.

If anyone can shed any light on the process for activating a new VCIM, I would really appreciate it!!!!! I would like to know what that process is, and if there was some fault in my activation process (without a Tech 2 tool), before I take the car into a dealer.

nathanjax
03-07-12, 04:33 PM
What you do to swap out

All you do is swap out the VCIM with another VCIM that also has the bluetooth dongle in it

and do you use the iPhone onstar app to remote start?

Yes

Escapade
03-10-12, 09:19 PM

So did you do the reprogramming with the VIN like drv4me quoted.... or remote link worked as soon as it was plugged in? And anyone selling the same part I'd be very much interested. Thanks

And does this look like it's the same part?

http://kalamazoo.olx.com/2011-cadillac-cts-dts-buick-lucerne-bluetooth-onstar-module-vcim-22796947-iid-324493751

imachap
03-11-12, 12:40 AM
No programming. I'm just using the Bluetooth.

Playdrv4me
03-11-12, 04:13 AM
I think we have two conversations going on at once here and it is getting confusing.

For "cosorio", something is still not making sense. As you can see with "imachaps" example, it is not possible to simply drop in a Bluetooth VCIM and activate it with OnStar. The only possibility is the VCIM you got was ALREADY activated with an OnStar account before you put it in your Escalade (i.e. you took it out of another car you owned with active OnStar, or you just happened to get lucky and your VCIM was already set up with an account someone else is paying for).

I repeat, it is *NOT* possible to activate a Bluetooth VCIM with OnStar when it is not in the vehicle that it shipped in. The mis-matched VINs will cause a multitude of problems such as the ones imachap is having. These problems will NOT hurt anything else with the truck, but they WILL preclude activation of OnStar. So again, I think we would all like clarification from "cosorio" as to where he obtained his VCIM, and whether he had to call OnStar to activate it. My understanding is RemoteLink requires an active OnStar account, which makes this even more confusing.

In general you should NOT EXPECT working OnStar when you switch to a Bluetooth VCIM from ANOTHER car.

On another subject, I'm pretty surprised that imachap's dealer actually sold him a VCIM module. In most cases the dealer will order the part, and the order will be cancelled by corporate unless a "core" is being returned that is the same kind and year of VCIM. This also applies to online orders through OEM parts warehouses. Many list the part number and allow it to be ordered, and then cancel the order before it is due to be shipped. So, in imachap's case, he might luck out and be able to get the dealership to code the VIN to his "factory fresh" module with a Tech II. Don't expect to walk into your dealer and just buy one of these unless something has changed drastically from last year. GM keeps very tight control of these modules because they know they're in demand for people with older cars who don't want to buy NEWER cars, and therefore prevent them from getting that new car revenue.

cosorio
03-11-12, 07:21 AM
I think we have two conversations going on at once here and it is getting confusing.

For "cosorio", something is still not making sense. As you can see with "imachaps" example, it is not possible to simply drop in a Bluetooth VCIM and activate it with OnStar. The only possibility is the VCIM you got was ALREADY activated with an OnStar account before you put it in your Escalade (i.e. you took it out of another car you owned with active OnStar, or you just happened to get lucky and your VCIM was already set up with an account someone else is paying for).

I repeat, it is *NOT* possible to activate a Bluetooth VCIM with OnStar when it is not in the vehicle that it shipped in. The mis-matched VINs will cause a multitude of problems such as the ones imachap is having. These problems will NOT hurt anything else with the truck, but they WILL preclude activation of OnStar. So again, I think we would all like clarification from "cosorio" as to where he obtained his VCIM, and whether he had to call OnStar to activate it. My understanding is RemoteLink requires an active OnStar account, which makes this even more confusing.

In general you should NOT EXPECT working OnStar when you switch to a Bluetooth VCIM from ANOTHER car.

On another subject, I'm pretty surprised that imachap's dealer actually sold him a VCIM module. In most cases the dealer will order the part, and the order will be cancelled by corporate unless a "core" is being returned that is the same kind and year of VCIM. This also applies to online orders through OEM parts warehouses. Many list the part number and allow it to be ordered, and then cancel the order before it is due to be shipped. So, in imachap's case, he might luck out and be able to get the dealership to code the VIN to his "factory fresh" module with a Tech II. Don't expect to walk into your dealer and just buy one of these unless something has changed drastically from last year. GM keeps very tight control of these modules because they know they're in demand for people with older cars who don't want to buy NEWER cars, and therefore prevent them from getting that new car revenue.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I specifically looked for a VCIM from a used 2011 CTS. The VCIM need to be previously activated for this to work. In my case, since the car is a 2011, I even got a year of onstar for free. Also, the donor vehicle needs to be a highly optioned car in order to have remote start since not all cars are optioned this way. In my case, I knew it was a CTS-V so it had the remote start. If you have all these parameters covered, just install the VCIM, hit the onstar button and everything should be working in 20 minutes.

FredS
03-11-12, 09:01 AM
Right now there is a big influx of virgin vcim's floating around eBay for the 2011 cts series. Would those not work since they haven't been programmed?

Escapade
03-11-12, 10:17 AM
Right now there is a big influx of virgin vcim's floating around eBay for the 2011 cts series. Would those not work since they haven't been programmed?

This is a good question.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-CADILLAC-CTS-DTS-BUICK-LUCERNE-BLUETOOTH-ONSTAR-MODULE-VCIM-22796947-/330680268349?hash=item4cfe14763d&item=330680268349&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_2726wt_1147

cosorio
03-11-12, 11:55 AM
For bluetooth, yes. For onstar, no.

imachap
03-11-12, 02:43 PM

I have a buddy that has a couple of Cadillac dealerships. That's why and how I was able to get one.