: bad brake scare

carguy16
11-15-04, 11:26 PM
I had to come to a stop fast today, I found out at certain speeds my car glides and does not stop as fast as you would want it to stop. I also hit the brakes so hard, I smelled burning, i thought it was tranny fluid at first, apparently it wasnt. my brakes work perfectly, i think i'll keep the car at 55 max from now on.

if you want more details, i will pm you in private.

what can i do to upgrade the stock brakes? i want slotted drums or drilled rotors, but no one sells them for a fleetwood.

HotRodSaint
11-16-04, 01:23 AM
If at first you don't succeed, pretend it's an Impala SS.

Then you will find whatever you need, including front slotted rotors. :lildevil:

ocjmakaveli
11-16-04, 04:00 AM
first off if you smell burning make sure after your daily drive none of your wheels are extra hot or hotter than any other wheel your calipers may be frozen/stuck etc. malfunction

causing your brakes to stay on this will give you a burning smell at least it did for me although you may have just locked up your brakes enough that your tires got really hot etc.

I would definitely suggest doing the rear disc upgrade w/ stealth bolt instead of the slotted front discs if you want the best stop possible with minimal money too.Better to wait a few weeks and do the rear disc than just do the slotted front discs they won't make much of a difference for the daily driver best used for high speed occasions frequest stopping etc.

i use non slotted discs in both front and back and they feel great.

not sure what you meant by slid?

btw i usually look for parts for a 1996 chevrolet impala ss or just a general 94-96 impala ss parts because ALL drivetrain parts fit our fleet regardless of what anyone tells you I've gotten so many odd looks when i've told ppl i use chevy parts on my caddy lol TRUST me they work

only improvement caddy made was the interior and exterior looks and comfort

HotRodSaint
11-16-04, 11:01 AM
Our ride leveling rear shocks, power steering pump, drive shaft, rear axle w/ drum brakes and the four channel ABS Brake system are the main mechanical differences between the FW and the SS. Engine and Tranny are the same, as are the front brakes and the fr/rr suspension.

www.SummitRacing.com has Powerslots for the Impala SS at competitive prices. That's were I bought mine.

You can get them plain (PWR-AR-8253), drilled (PWR-AR-8253L/R) or slotted (PWR-AR-8253SL/R). The last two need to be ordered as left or right, thus the L/R.

I got plain because I don't race, cross-drilled can possibly crack and slotted wear out your brake pads faster. You can do your own research and decide what's best for you.

This site is a very good start to learning what can and cannot be done to our cars.
http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?

carguy16
11-16-04, 09:33 PM
Rear disc conversion? I checked out that web site, and I found rear disc kits, I think??? Im looking at $600.00 bucks plus for this, then I need to find someone to install.

I know someone did it, they were telling me that they lost their ABS...

I thought 70 percent of braking power comes from the front, and 30 percent in the back??? What I meant by sliding(aka slid), I hit the brakes and the car felt like a train stopping, poor response.

Would installing new rotors and Z-Rated pad's on the front help out? I know for $49.00 a rotor, and $49.00 bucks for the Z-Rated pads, and some new oil seals for lets say $2.00 bucks a pop, thats about $155.00 bucks for some nice fresh brakes on the front. Id love rear disc's, but it's not like i can buy new rotor's/pads and stick 'em on. I'd need a lot more detail's for the conversion of rear disc names, part numbers, kits, etc...I appreciate the link for the website, but I have no mechanical apptitude, as goes for exhaust, If I cant find anything specifically for my car I dont know how it would work. Im not dumb, I just have no mechanical apptitude, at all.

HotRodSaint
11-17-04, 11:49 AM
Rear disc conversion? I checked out that web site, and I found rear disc kits, I think??? Im looking at $600.00 bucks plus for this, then I need to find someone to install.

Bill Harpers well engineered conversion kit will leave the four channel ABS in place. The custom engineering involves modified back plates and specific brake lines. Everything else is standard Impala. I'd put that on your wish list. ;)

If you don't use the special machined back plates, you will loose your ABS. Better pads and/or new rotors will help improve your braking too.

But you might also try more foot pressure on the brake peddle.
It's ABS and needs a firm foot to stop it. It took me a little while to learn how much pressure to apply. I still stop long by being overly cautious.

ocjmakaveli
11-17-04, 01:17 PM

I thought 70 percent of braking power comes from the front, and 30 percent in the back??? What I meant by sliding(aka slid), I hit the brakes and the car felt like a train stopping, poor response.

Would installing new rotors and Z-Rated pad's on the front help out? I know for $49.00 a rotor, and $49.00 bucks for the Z-Rated pads, and some new oil seals for lets say $2.00 bucks a pop, thats about $155.00 bucks for some nice fresh brakes on the front. Id love rear disc's, but it's not like i can buy new rotor's/pads and stick 'em on. I'd need a lot more detail's for the conversion of rear disc names, part numbers, kits, etc...I appreciate the link for the website, but I have no mechanical apptitude, as goes for exhaust, If I cant find anything specifically for my car I dont know how it would work. Im not dumb, I just have no mechanical apptitude, at all.

new discs and pads will always help so its never a bad idea it all depends how much of a difference you want if you want 70-30 braking then u need a rear disc conversion because the stock drum and disc setup only using a 95-5 proportion to braking meaning the front brakes do 95% of the work and the rear only 5 which isn't really effective or efficient in my opinion

but pfc rated pads do make a big difference and new rotors are always a plus

the slide you felt seems to me like the pads or discs may have been hot usually if the brakes get hot the car will seem to slide like crawling to a stop not really fully braking as if there were oil on the discs etc.

for the moment eliminate brake fluid leaks etc. check your MC then do the front rebuild with new discs and pads if you like it settle or if you need more do the rear discs.