: Horrible God-aweful squeaking!

eldorado1
11-15-04, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the serpentine tensioner is making this really loud squeaking noise... Well, it's either that or the alternator, but I just replaced that a few months ago, and it was fine (or at least definately wasn't as LOUD) until now... My question is: are these things serviceable? Can I replace the bearing or grease it or something? And if not, how much will a replacement be? :(

Ranger
11-15-04, 11:14 PM
I don't think they are "servicable" though I have drilled out rivets, replaced the bearing ($8) and put it back together with screws and nuts (on a different vehicle). I don't know what a replacement costs. I have heard that you can pry out the "seal", grease it and pop the seal back in if it is not in too bad of condition. I have done that on other "sealed" bearings (snowmobile and garden tractor) but if it is squealing I'd replace it.

mastertech
11-16-04, 09:26 AM
Be sure to check your A/C clutch as well, and your idler pulley. Belt tensioners rarely make noise, but these two components are common noise makers. Take the belt off and manually rotate each pulley to feel for roughness or noise.

eldorado1
11-16-04, 11:23 AM
Be sure to check your A/C clutch as well, and your idler pulley. Belt tensioners rarely make noise, but these two components are common noise makers. Take the belt off and manually rotate each pulley to feel for roughness or noise.

I have no a/c compressor, and the idler pulley is brand new as of a couple months ago. But seeing as it was like $40, I'd bet a new tensioner would be like $100...... That's why I'm curious if it can be rebuilt or at least greased.

Spyder
11-16-04, 01:35 PM
I've got a tensioner off of my old motor that I'll give you for half whatever a new one costs...94 STS, if it's the same part as yours.

eldorado1
11-16-04, 03:06 PM
I don't want a new one, I want to fix the old one! :crying:

...but seriously, if I can't figure out how, I might take you up on that. But then... if I'm replacing parts anyways, might as well get a brand new one?

Spyder
11-16-04, 05:59 PM
True, if you can fix it go for it...I just have little use for mine and thought I'd keep all the old parts in case anyone needed them...they don't take much space up in the garage. :)

eldorado1
11-16-04, 06:17 PM
Well, I took off the belt, and what's wierd is the tensioner doesn't make that much noise when I spin it... It just kinda sounds like ball bearings spinning... Like a roller skate or something. Idler makes no noise at all, and is more difficult to turn, probably because it's packed with grease. I guess when the tensioner is fully loaded, it probably makes all that noise. I'm going to take it off now, and see if I can disassemble it before tomorrow.

eldorado1
11-16-04, 08:24 PM
Welp... I took it off, and there was a torx bolt holding the pulley to the arm. Took that off, and I could get to the bearing (but couldn't remove it... it's a tight press fit). Took the dust seal off the side, and cleaned it out (it was dry though), and packed it with grease. Reassembled, started car, and it was gone! But..... It came back within a matter of minutes. At least now though, it's a gentle whine vs a screaming screeching. So.... I'll put up with it for a while. Until I find a price on a new one :)

powerglide
04-07-05, 02:15 PM
eldo:

I am ressurecting this old thread because I have been living with an amazingly loud and annoying screeching sound that sounds like its from one of the pulleys. The sound goes away after about 30 minutes of driving, most of the time......

Did you end up replacing your tensioner?

I am assuming a shot of WD40 isn't gonna do the trick.

Also, I can't even see the pulleys because its so jam packed in the engine bay (passenger side front right?) How did you access to check the parts?

Thanks

BeelzeBob
04-07-05, 03:20 PM
Find a 3 foot piece of 3/8 hose. Stick one end in your ear. Listen to each of the pulleys/accessories by using the free end of the hose like a stethascope. That will tell you where the noise is coming from.

eldorado1
04-07-05, 04:55 PM
eldo:

I am ressurecting this old thread because I have been living with an amazingly loud and annoying screeching sound that sounds like its from one of the pulleys. The sound goes away after about 30 minutes of driving, most of the time......

Did you end up replacing your tensioner?

I am assuming a shot of WD40 isn't gonna do the trick.

Also, I can't even see the pulleys because its so jam packed in the engine bay (passenger side front right?) How did you access to check the parts?

Thanks

WD40 is not a lubricant, and it should not be used as such. When I took off the tensioner, and cleaned and repacked the bearings with grease, the noise went away by 75%. You can still hear it whining, but it's quiet enough where I don't normally notice it... Yes, the pullies are on the passenger side. I'm lucky enough that I have about 2" of room on that side. You may need to remove the coolant expansion resevoir to get to that stuff in your car. I don't remember how close all that stuff was......

powerglide
04-08-05, 02:21 AM
it says stop squeaks

dkozloski
04-08-05, 11:05 AM
A customer brought in an airplane that actually had a "waterline" inside the gyro instruments that was some kind of liquid. When asked about it he said they were acting up so he squirted in some WD-40 because it said on the can it was for instruments. When informed that this meant trombones and tubas the look on his face was priceless.

powerglide
04-08-05, 01:41 PM
LOL!

WD40's mythical (and oft misunderstood) curing powers are up there with Duct Tape and Aspirin...

Pjs
04-09-05, 12:33 PM
Replace the tensioner, Autozone sells them for $56. The only time mine really made much noise is when it was idling in gear. Sounded like a low growling (dry bearings) and upon close inspection while it was running you could see the tensioner jumping all over the place. Since installing the new one, the growl is gone as is the bizarre rattleing that I always heard when I would accelerate from a stop. BTW, a stethoscope pinpointed this was the problem without a doubt.

powerglide
04-09-05, 04:08 PM
Thanks everyone. The advice for a stetho and Bbobs suggestion for a tube is what I was gonna try.....only concern is that the noise (more of a high pitch screech, than a growl) is so loud that its deafening from 3 feet away with hood open. (i.e. huge headache and ear ringing minutes later) I wonder if the it'll be too loud and painful..... But I figure if I use the pipe with care (not jam it in my ear canal right away) I can locate the source somehow.

I will report back.

eldorado1
04-09-05, 06:04 PM
When it says it "stops squeaks", it means mice. WD-40 and a lighter will stop all kinds of squeaks!

Regarding the loudness - stick some cotton in your ears. You can still tell when the sound gets louder using the hose stethoscope

growe3
04-11-05, 08:48 AM
WD-40 is not a lubricate per se.

"The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.

Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40".

therodman
04-11-05, 09:57 AM
Not sure about the tensioner on the Cad and I haven't had to change mine on the cad but did change one on my LeSabre recently and it was like 9 bucks for the pulley. Certainly you don't have to change the entire tensioner! It wouldn't surprise me that the pulley form the LeSabre would fit the Cad, unless they are a different diameter or totaly different tensioner.

therodman
04-11-05, 10:06 AM
I did have a clutch go out for the AC on my STS and that made a terrible noise, pretty high pitch squeeling, I would suggest like others that either the tensioner pulley or the AC clutch is the problem but then again, anything being turned by the serpentine could be the culprit. One thing I've done a few times just to ease my mind is take the belt off, just slip it off the tensioner pulley, leave it in position making sure it won't get caught and destroyed, than start the car for a second. Obviously if the noise is gone your looking at a small number of parts that could be causing the problem.

Pjs
04-12-05, 05:52 AM
Certainly you don't have to change the entire tensioner! It wouldn't surprise me that the pulley form the LeSabre would fit the Cad, unless they are a different diameter or totaly different tensioner.

The tensioner is one piece...it's a totally different tensioner because it's a totally different engine

Wrench Head
04-14-05, 12:22 AM
check the belt real close for glazing. And you can get that bearing out and put in a new one.. The bearing has a number right on it.. Tight fit. grease is not going to stay in your bearing... Parts places like napa sell the pullys for about 20 bucks.. Check for glazing.. Been there..

white97deville
04-14-05, 01:26 PM
There was a used Northstar idler pulley for sale on Ebay a couple of weeks ago with and initial price of $15. The auction expired with no bids on it and may have been reposted.

Caddyloversincebirth
04-19-05, 04:38 PM
I had the same problem on my STS. it was the PULLEY on the altenator and it had been recently replaced. for some reason, someone thought it was a good Idea to use a PLASTIC pulley on this altenator... so I replaced it with the real deal AC-delco and never looked back...still sounds good a year later...

growe3
04-19-05, 07:59 PM
I had the same problem on my STS. it was the clutch on the altenator. and it had been recently replaced.......

Clutch on the altenator?

-George

Caddyloversincebirth
04-20-05, 09:45 AM
I corrected my self later if you read further, just didn't bother to go back and change it...if it bothers you that much. i'll edit it.. but I think evey knows what i'm talking about.

growe3
04-20-05, 08:37 PM
I corrected my self later if you read further, just didn't bother to go back and change it...if it bothers you that much. i'll edit it.. but I think evey knows what i'm talking about.

Rather a rude reply. As the note that I replied to was your last post, I don't see how you could have corrected it later.

As for " ...if it bothers you that much. i'll edit it.." I do not care what you do. I was merely trying to point out, in a polite way, that the alternator pulley does not have a clutch.

When you post a solution for others read, it is assumed that the person has had experience with the issue and/or knows what they are talking about. I know that the only pulley in there with a clutch is the AC compressor, other less experienced owners might not realize the error and continue to broadcast your error as fact.

No flame intended here, just responding.

-George

powerglide
04-21-05, 02:04 AM
yeah I agree with George, it does come off a little defensive.
its always good to keep the information as correct as possible for all the folks who may visit later and attempt a repair based on what they see here.

powerglide
04-21-05, 02:06 AM
OK, I finally got my hands on some tubing (aquarium air pump tubing $1.28 at walmart) I'm gonna stick it to a piece of fishing rod I have laying around so I can use it to probe around....I'll post back what I find.

Marshall
04-25-05, 12:57 AM
Sometimes when I read a post about strange problems others are having I get a bad feeling.... I had just replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys on my 1994 Eldorado and that cured the whining noise [other than the wife's] that followed RPM's. So there I stood feeling very good and listening to a quite engine when boom it started a God awful high pitch pearcing screaching noise!!:eek: After hunting up my ear defenders I could get close and started troubleshooting...

1. It didn't follow RPM's to any real degree.
2. It slowly stopped upon shutdown. Yep you guess it, intake leak. I verified the 4 mounting bolts were tight. Then I found I could change the pitch by loosening a mounting bolt or two. On tear down I found the rubber on the Intake gasket had come loose from the inner metal portion creating a whistle. Just thought I'd pass this on - hope it helps some other unsuspecting person who hears a screaching sound in the future.

powerglide
04-25-05, 01:41 AM
Marshall! Your post was very useful. The first time I posted this problem was about a year ago, and I said it sounded like a vacuum leak!

Mine doesn't follow RPM, slowly stops on shutdown, its deafening. It goes away when the engine is hot (running for a while....so it can be a bearing that warms up...maybe, but a bearing that gets hot should bind up harder making the noise louder right?)

I'll continue my troubleshoot. How did you nail it down? (I dont want to tear it down)
what was the cure? (easy, cheap fast?)

Thanx

Marshall
04-26-05, 09:40 AM
Looks like a hundred dollars in parts: $60 for the intake gaskets and I'm going to replace the injector seals as well $30. Labor; about 5-6 hours, 2 to remove,2 to clean and a couple to reassemble.
As to determining the promblem: loosen the intake mounting bolts a bit,then slightly move the whole intake assy. while the engine is running, if it changes the noise you nailed it .
Hope this helps,
Marshall

powerglide
04-26-05, 03:06 PM
I'm glad to hear the parts aren't that expensive but thats pretty labor intensive!
I've done plug and wire changes and simple things like that.....but seems a little intense, but maybe I can do it. You need any special tools, like a torque wrench perhaps? Any more detail about how to do it and what to watch out of for would be highly appreciated! Let me know once you have it completed.

Thanks!

powerglide
05-03-05, 11:34 PM
alright...so I went out there (finally) stuck the end of the tube in my ear and moved the other end to different areas of the engine/pulleys etc.

But the damned squealing noise was so loud I counldn't get anything out of it except a splitting headache and a ringing in the ear that wont go away.....I swear, its THAT loud.

Revving the engine doesnt change the sound at all.

Only change happens when I am under heavy accelearation which causes the sound to go away completely. Or after 45 minutes of driving, the sound is gone.