: engine swap

cdt9c1
11-15-04, 10:36 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and am having some troubles searching through the archives. I'd like to take a late model (94/95) LT1/4L60E drivetrain and swap it into an 80's Caddy. I know a lot about the former and little about the latter. The kind of Caddy I'm looking for is the big boxy 4 door, RWD. (I know what I like when I see it :-))

Are there any threads discussing this type of thing? I'm presuming this is the right sub-forum to start looking, yes?

Or, if anyone feels so inclined perhaps you can enlighten me as to which model years (with which engine/tranny) would make the best starting point, and whether or not the engine mounts are the same as the standard small-block chevy.

I currently have a 90 b-body (Caprice) and am under the impression that the d-body (Cadillac) is the same car but stretched 4 inches. If this is true, the swap should be easy. If not... :-(

Any and all help appreciated!
Chris
90 9C1

scurling
11-15-04, 11:20 PM
The kind of Caddy I'm looking for is the big boxy 4 door, RWD. (I know what I like when I see it :-))

I ask you, is there any other kind????? :thumbsup:

You are in the right place for what you want to do. A lot of guys here can offer help and advice. I tend to stick with the stock applications at this point in my life...kids in college, etc., etc. You will probably get some replys with real helpful hints. And, yes, the mid '90s Chevy Impala and Caprice are for the most part the same as the '93 thru '96 Fleetwood in chassis and power.

Welcome to the forum.

cdt9c1
11-16-04, 01:05 AM
After doing some more extensive searching, it appears the swap is very "do-able" but will require welding in the motor mounts that came with the engine (or their equivalent).

What I'm not entirely sure about is that there were also recommendations for using the motor mounts from a 90-92 (?) Caddy TBI engine (LO3/LO5 I presume). Do these bolt in? I doubt it, as they are likely the same as those on the LT1 engines. The chev small block mounts didn't change until the LS1 familiy of engines, afaik.

I'll continue doing my research. FYI my original plan was to drop the 94/98 LT1 Caprice drivetrain into an early 80's Caprice. But I'd much rather have the style of a Caddy :-)

Chris

sizanjdf
11-16-04, 05:50 AM
thats cuz the ole FWB rocks man...I wish I had a 350 TBI or a LT1 in mine...it would be nice

evilrussian
11-17-04, 12:50 AM
They drop right in. I got the swap just like the one you describe. Mine is an '83 SDV with a carbed 350 out of a '92 9C1. The hardest thing was cutting the fan shroud a couple of inches :rolleyes: I've had stock exhaust on it for 5 years or so and finally went ahead for an upgrade couple a weeks ago. I'm using Hedman hedders, shorties made mostly for camaros and monte carlos and such... I still have to check the passenger side for clearance, drivers side is already on for mock up. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the car to the exhaust shop for duals. I hope those guys do a nice job cause the tranny crossmember has only one hump, making it tricky to route pipes. I've heard some people even notch and reweld their crossmembers to acheive a clean look. Once it's all done I'll post some pics :)

BTW The best way to aviod all the hassle is to get a 90-92 Brougham with a chevy 350 block already in it. You could pick a clean one up on ebay for less than 2K, plus front an rear on them looks a lot cleaner IMO.