: Thinking about getting a v...

Ogcoda
02-29-12, 03:11 AM
Alright, so I have been thinking about selling my 06 mazda speed 6 and getting a V. What I need to know what the best year is out of these and also the common problems that most run into. Also any good info or tips would be great.

greg12m3
02-29-12, 07:24 AM
06/07 are more desirable, ls2 meaning wider torque band, stronger diff, possibly nav buttons that less-likely will peal ( seen a couple posts that make me say this), but with that being said im pretty satisfied with my 04, i like the ls6, at 65k it pulls effortlessly. Im also on my original diff and it seems fine, i do change the fluid every 10k or less. common problems to note are; clunking (which can be controlled to a min by replacing motor trans mount diff bushing and guibo), power steering hose leak, lca squeak/creak, oil temp grounding issue, drive shaft issues center carrier and cv ( the big problem here is cadillacs inability to sell you anything less than a complete ds), wheel hop (axle shafts and possibly r subframe bushing/shims), dual mass flywheel. Those are what ive seen people to be having Problems with on the forums.

When you go to look at one ideally bring someone who knows these car and will be able to tell things apart like the diffs and if it has axles on it already or if its leaking around the diff and if there is play in the axles or excessive play in the ds, or if the motor mounts are leaking oil and theres too much vibrations at shut off.

If you plan on doing your own work then these cars are very reasonable but if your going to cadillac for everything its not really practical i think to own one, they have a couple silly but expensive problems.

But, hey!, i still like it better than the w210 e55 and e39 m5 i had before.

RADEoN
02-29-12, 08:07 AM
if you're going to buy a used v, the first things you should replace are the stock clutch and shifter. you can get an ls7 clutch setup fairly cheap, and you can get a shifter from the PISNUOFF shifter ordering process. it will completely change the way the car feels.

rjoffe
02-29-12, 09:11 AM
tips:

Spend a month or so reading every article you can on this site. It's full of info.

Find someone who has a V1, and bribe them with Coffee/Beer to come take a look at the V you may be interested in.

rand49er
02-29-12, 09:38 AM
OP, where are you located?

Ogcoda
02-29-12, 09:50 AM
Salt lake city, Utah

rand49er
02-29-12, 11:49 AM
As rjoffe said, if you can find someone close by who'd be willing to look at whatever car you have your sights on, that would be a major comfort in plunking down nearly 20 large for a hot rod.

Here's my take:

1) Look at the normal stuff that you'd look at for any car (paint, body, interior, tire wear, fluid levels, undercarriage integrity, drips from motor/diff/trans, smoothness while driving/shifting, maintenance history if you can get it),

2) Specific to the V is diff whine at slight acceleration at 45-50 mph (some may be normal), a shudder at motor shutdown (motor mounts), peeling NAV buttons (replacement buttons are available), and difficulty getting into 1st or reverse (low hydraulic clutch fluid).

There are a few issues that have a lower frequency of occurrence like radiator leaks and premature battery failure, but those should have already occurred and taken care of.

Others here will have their take on this, and that is good. Read it all. Look for commonality of statements and the experience of the authors. Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Ogcoda
03-01-12, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys this is just the kind of information I was looking for. Also just a quick question, what would be a good price range to stick around If i'm looking to stay around 70k miles and in the 04-07 market.

repenttokyo
03-01-12, 04:07 PM
06/07 are more desirable, ls2 meaning wider torque band

also, better for towing.

thebigjimsho
03-02-12, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys this is just the kind of information I was looking for. Also just a quick question, what would be a good price range to stick around If i'm looking to stay around 70k miles and in the 04-07 market.

70k miles on an '04 should be in the $14-16k range for good condition. An '07 may still be under warranty and would be $19-23k for good condition.