: Help with outer cv joint removal

greg12m3
02-28-12, 07:53 PM
How do i remove the outer cv joint without removing the inner. Ive been beating on it with a hammer and it wont budge.

darkman
02-28-12, 08:18 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/205834-axle-shaft-install-writeup.html

greg12m3
02-28-12, 08:24 PM
Ive been staring at that for a couple hours but since i havent taken the inner cvoff i cant use the block of wood /pipe methods. I was home for some other method or trick to be told

darkman
02-28-12, 09:47 PM
Bump - I have not done one of these. Here is another thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/200256-gforce-axle-install-lessons-learned.html

greg12m3
02-28-12, 10:55 PM
Thanks but i think my best bet is just beating it with a rubber mallet. I may just say f it and buy axles with cv joints and not have to worry about this nonsense. I got finally to see some of the splines on the shaft but still am having no luck. I suppose i may just have to take off the inner cv altho at 75 a boot cover i rather not have too and not replacing the boot while i have it all apart would be silly

greg12m3
03-02-12, 12:26 AM
For the record beating it for about two hours with a rubber mallet finally got the joint off. I was also able to replace the boot with a universal one from advanced auto, cadillac wound up ordering me a boot for a front axle for a dts or something... Anyways also to note lindsay cadillac said they would have been able to change just the boot for me if i wasnt able to get the joint off while the cadillac dealer near me (the guys who ordered the wrong boot even after taking down my vin) said they do it all or not at all... They just must not like money....

Thanks darkman for your swift responses and thanks linsday cadillac for being able to pick up the pieces for me if things didnt work out.

PISNUOFF
03-02-12, 07:47 AM
Next time but a new axle nut and use the old one as a point to hit with a 3 lb hammer. It'll come right out of the hub. NEVER hit the end of the shaft. Once you are that far, it's only 10 seconds to pop the inner cv out of the diff. It's much easier to work on the shaft on a bench.