: Wife wiped out the V into a curb...pics of damage

family-man
02-26-12, 09:15 PM
So anyways, yesterday my wife gets caught in the snow downfall on the way home and loses it and slides into a curb. :bang: doesnt tell me anything and today i was on my way out and as im leaving down the side street i notice that the steering wheel is cocked at 2-3 o'clock when driving straight and i know that something is definitely wrong. I go straight back home and get out to see a big ass chunk missing from the wheel edge. I know she hit something like a curb. I confronted her and she said she wiped out coming down a hill and slid sideways into a curb. So i pull out my jack and take the wheel off, I didnt notice anything damaged and even compared it to the drivers side but to me everything looked straight, but its definitely NOT. anyways its really hard to control the car the more city speeds you go (like even 40km/h and more) and when i hit a bump like a sewer cover, the car does a weird sloppy motion...

Anyways, from my understanding, the upper control arms will NOT bend correct, that will only break due to it being aluminum? How about the hub because I saw that is aluminum aswell...I'm just trying to rule out anything that may be damaged because I dont want the mechanic to hose me when i can tell him that part only breaks and doesnt bend... and I tried gmpartsdirect and they dont put part numbers, im trying to see what parts/part #'s from the base cts and the cts-v are interchangeable.

what are youre guys suggestions of the culprit? And all pics are of the passenger rear wheel

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i426/family-man1/052.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i426/family-man1/053.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i426/family-man1/054.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i426/family-man1/055.jpg

darkman
02-26-12, 09:39 PM
If you have comprehensive insurance coverage I would think the damage qualifies as being the result of an accident. I would get an estimate from a dealer for a start.

Oh5V
02-26-12, 10:45 PM
Take a look at the front tie rod going into the steering rack. most likely that got bent. They aren't very hard to replace(GM in general, a CTS may be slightly involved due to the compact areas). That would give you the offset steering wheel and weird driving sensation issues.

as for the rear, It could also be a bent tie rod which adjusts the angle of the wheel slightly.

alradco
02-26-12, 11:29 PM
I would take it to a quality dealer or shop to have thoroughly inspected. If the cost is high to repair you may want to consider insurance as mentioned above. I'm surprised she didn't tell you, like you're not going to notice that??!!? haha

family-man
02-26-12, 11:47 PM
only the right rear was hit judging from the mark on the wheel. no other wheel has any rashes. Tomorrow the car is going in, hopefully it wont be alot of $. Our insurance deductible is $500, and I really dont want to make a claim for something small like this and have it on my record for when its time for renewal

Tackelbarry
02-27-12, 07:40 AM
That is why my wife does NOT drive my vehicles. She has her two, which she tries to "squeeze" in to places and hits crap. And I have my three , which she does not touch. Her vehicles have bumps, scrapes and curb rash and mine are pristine.
Friendly advise, give your wife the benefit of the doubt, buy her some flowers, because maybe she also "bumped" her head when she slid in to the curb and the temporary loss of memory is why she did not tell you about the incident. I have been married for twenty-three years and still have no idea how their brains work.
Glad your wife is o k and the damage is not worse.

rand49er
02-27-12, 09:08 AM
Could've been worse. On the plus side, it makes life a bunch easier when the wife is in the doghouse and not you.

... She has her two ... and I have my three ...The perfect marriage. :cool2:

darkman
02-27-12, 09:16 AM
Our insurance deductible is $500,

That wheel has an MRSP of $931.61.

RADEoN
02-27-12, 09:57 AM
there's a few people on the internet forum scene that the thread should just be closed after he posts because it's the final word.

darkman is one of them.

family-man
02-27-12, 02:25 PM
found the whole right rear suspension for $250 (without rotor and caliper). Install should be $100-$150. Wheel im trying to locate one used for around $100

Bigtuna819
02-27-12, 03:01 PM
Id take the car to an alignment shop, same think happened to me 2 months ago, mine looked even worse... Just needed a new rear tie rod