: suspension

donavo
02-26-12, 07:02 PM
hey:

im looking for front and rear shocks for cadillac seville STS 1996. can you help me out?

RippyPartsDept
02-27-12, 10:09 AM
sure ... can you PM (or email) me your VIN?

you could post it here too, but some people don't like the idea of posting their VIN in public ...

donavo
02-28-12, 04:05 PM
Sure thing. Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. Vin is: 1g6ky5298tu817050

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 04:25 PM
no worries on the delay ... it's your car and your repair

so the good news is that I can save you money on these if you decide to stick with OEM parts

the bad news is that it's still going to cost quite a bit

and the even worse news is that the drivers front has been discontinued

BUT all is not lost... there is still stock out there in the dealer network
in order to get you one of these i'll have to buy it from another dealer who still has one left in stock
and it will be non-returnable so you'll want to make sure you want them for sure before you decide to call in and pay
(the other three will be returnable but with the standard 35% re-stocking fee that GM charges)

LH FRT Strut
$588.00 (price may vary a bit depending on the exact price that we get from the dealer that we get it from)

RH FRT Strut
$573.13

Rear Shocks
$573.13 (each)

without the discount they would cost about $955 each

donavo
02-28-12, 06:07 PM
Whoa. I expected a heavy price tag...but this is prty dam heavy lol. Ill give it a thought and let u know. U got any better alternative? Besides passives? Maybe used, relatively new?

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 06:58 PM
i've heard that monroe or one of the other aftermarket brands has active shocks that you can usually find for a bit less than these prices

used is a crapshoot ... not worth it unless you're getting them for dirt cheap since they might be worn out or wear out fully in the near future

donavo
02-28-12, 08:14 PM
On the forum I someone said there is no aftermarket active ones. Only passives. If you know about n e active ones can u let me know? Ill look up the mornoe ones.

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 10:59 PM
Yeah that might be right. 96 was a weird year so the aftermarket doesn't support it I guess.

donavo
03-04-12, 05:41 PM
ive got one more question.

if my car is taken to a dealer and tehy charge 125 for a diagnosis, then they repair the problem they found and charge me 600 dollars total....

and after all that i pick my car up and the problem is still there...then what happens?

the 125 i pay is supposed to b to find the exact problem right? if the problem still persists then they need to fix it right? this particular case isnt about the suspension btw. it was a chk engine light and a lean code. i told them to fix it they gave me a quote. now when i go pick it up, and check it with my scanner, and see that its still running lean in the same bank but doesnt show n e codes, can i tell them im not paying untill its not running lean n e more? so fix it?

RippyPartsDept
03-05-12, 05:10 PM
it's kind of a tough call in those situations ... the best thing to do is to talk with the service manager about your concerns

they probably aren't going to do anything and say that the light is off so the sensor is operating correctly

but having that conversation will at least get you down as not being "completely satisfied" with their work

in fact that's a good way to start off that conversation ...

"nice to meet you mr svc mgr, i just wanted to let you know that i was glad that you could get the check engine light to stay off but i'm not completely satisfied since it is still running lean... i'm afraid that in the near future i'll be back here with that light on again. i just wanted to talk to you to let you know that and see if there might be another way for you guys to make this right. I really want to be completely satisfied and you're so close but i just can't feel that way right now."

or something like that

donavo
03-05-12, 11:06 PM
i just got back from them. and yes....when i checked it it was still lean. and i told them that it was the reason i brought it in and its not fair that its not fixed yet. im not gonna pay this astronomical ammount. sadly that particular service manager wasnt tehre he just left. so i talked to another one. and that one said..."well they didnt fix it right, so go back and get that rental car again and "hugo" (srvs manager) will have to deduct it from ur bill again.

RippyPartsDept
03-07-12, 12:39 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/253519-chk-engine-lean-code-1996-sts.html
(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/253519-chk-engine-lean-code-1996-sts.html)
just for posterity i figured i'd link to your thread regarding this issue