: Plasti Dipped Wheels, White Brembo calipers, Custom V Logos Coming

Captain McFunk
02-25-12, 08:11 PM
Alright, so weekend 2 with the new car, i finished the following today:

Plasti-dipped wheels. I used 4 cans of Plasti-Dip and 2 packages of index cards. They came out flawless after only 3 coats. I'd recommend 4 to be safe.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/finalwheel.jpg

Painted the brembo calipers white with high temp engine paint. I had custom Vinyl matte black "V" logos made to put back on the calipers. I have 5 extra sets if anyone wants some to do the same, $20 shipped in the US. Before anyone asks, yes, I spray painted my calipers, yes I masked them off, yes i've done it before, on over 10 vehicles, no I've never had any problems, no you won't have problems if you mask correctly. Now that I got that disclaimer out of the way....
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/surgery.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/frontbrakewhite.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/finalfrontcaliper.jpg

I added custom matte black "V" logo's in the small windows in the rear. They looks awesome when they catch the sun right against the glossy windows. Just a minor touch. I've also got 5 extra sets of these, $15 shipped if you want them.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/sidewindowvlogo.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/finalside.jpg

I blacked out the rest of the V logos with plast dip
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/3-3.jpg

I plasti dipped the front fog light surrounds, and the front splitter. I also plasti-dipped the rear markers, and the rear plastic valance. I also used matte black vinyl on the rear side markers. It's illegal, but it's arkansas, they won't pull you over. I also got 15% tint all the way around.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/4-3.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/5-3.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/6-3.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/7-3.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam

FFBOS
02-25-12, 09:13 PM
Looks awesome. I look forward to doing this to my grill and other parts. Did you tape your window trim or plasti-dip?

Captain McFunk
02-25-12, 09:25 PM
Looks awesome. I look forward to doing this to my grill and other parts. Did you tape your window trim or plasti-dip?

I used trim brite tape

Jesda
02-25-12, 10:25 PM
Looks hot.

FFBOS
02-25-12, 11:07 PM
I used trim brite on mine as well. Its been on for about 7 months and starting to peel on the driver and passenger side door where it opens. Overall though no issues else where. I had it on the rear chome below the emblem, but I'm going to plasti-dip that so it looks cleaner.

thebigjimsho
02-26-12, 02:22 AM
White calipers are interesting.

Captain McFunk
02-26-12, 09:34 AM
White calipers are interesting.

Haha, in a good way or bad way? I don't think i've hardly ever seen white calipers, so I figured i'd give it a go. I think they look great in person. I'm interested to see how they are when they get dirty, if I can just spray some sonax on them, wipe, and rinse.

Chuck.
02-26-12, 12:04 PM
It looks good nice work.

FFBOS
02-26-12, 12:44 PM
Whats the reccomended temperature to apply this stuff. Its still fairly cold here in Chicago. 40's during the day.

xlr_x
02-26-12, 02:50 PM
you did a great job i like everything you have done so far but i also think that you need to lower it a little :D

CoppeR
02-26-12, 04:58 PM
How'd u do the front and rear crests by leaving the color in the middle but plastidipin' around it?

thebigjimsho
02-26-12, 10:03 PM
Haha, in a good way or bad way? I don't think i've hardly ever seen white calipers, so I figured i'd give it a go. I think they look great in person. I'm interested to see how they are when they get dirty, if I can just spray some sonax on them, wipe, and rinse.Nah, in a good way. I think a clean white is awesome. I just wonder how it looks with white diamond. Does it contrast at all?

valdeztkeCTSV
02-26-12, 10:05 PM
How'd u do the front and rear crests by leaving the color in the middle but plastidipin' around it?

I think what most people are doing is plastidipping the whole thing and just scoring around the edge of the emblem with an exacto knife then peeling/rubbing away the excess.

DrVolkl
02-27-12, 02:17 AM
Is there anything this stuff can't do?! Wow... looks great to me. I need to buy a can and get my grille done.

Will it really hold up on the wheels?

Captain McFunk
02-27-12, 09:47 AM
Whats the reccomended temperature to apply this stuff. Its still fairly cold here in Chicago. 40's during the day.
I think it's 50-70 degrees.

you did a great job i like everything you have done so far but i also think that you need to lower it a little :D
That will be coming soon. Any solutions that we KNOW for a FACT won't throw any codes or roughen up the road?

I just masked it with blue painters tape, scored it off with an exacto knife, plasti-dipped, scored again, then peeled off the tape/plasti-dip

Nah, in a good way. I think a clean white is awesome. I just wonder how it looks with white diamond. Does it contrast at all?
No with it being a little ways away from the paint. The wheels break it up to where you don't notice. Now I tried white background on the badges, and that DID contrast. Looked like paper on cream white lol.

Is there anything this stuff can't do?! Wow... looks great to me. I need to buy a can and get my grille done.

Will it really hold up on the wheels?
From what I understand, it will hold up. I've seen pictures after 50,000 miles and it looked fine. Of course, if it chips, all you have to do is spray that one spot. you don't even have to tape anything off, just take the wheel off, spray the one spot, and keep going.

sfv41901
02-27-12, 11:30 AM
I used trim brite tape

How easy/hard is this to apply?

Trionalaw
02-27-12, 12:02 PM
I might as well ask the dumb questions. Do I understand that this is simply a spray product. And that you mask around the chrome strips around the windows and grill (of course masking the emblem]and spray them at least four times? If so, wow! With my M3, I bought a black plastic piece that replaced the chrome kidney in the front.

What does it mean to score the emblem?

Thanks,

Jim

sfv41901
02-27-12, 12:10 PM
Yes, the grills & wheels are all done with a rattle can of Plasti dip. The window he did with a tape.

Score means to cut around the emblem so when u remove the excess material, it won't pull up what u want to stay.

FFBOS
02-27-12, 12:32 PM
I put trim brite on my car awhile ago. Just need to be patient when applying and have a sharp exacto knife to score the edge when you go to remove the excess pieces. I got some edges peeling up and its been over 6 months of all sorts of weather exposure.

thebigjimsho
02-27-12, 01:21 PM
There is a guy with a copper Charger R/T who lives on a road I take to get home. He painted his crosshair grille black and it looks awful. I feel like leaving a can of Plasti-dip on his windshield...

sfv41901
02-27-12, 02:14 PM
There is a guy with a copper Charger R/T who lives on a road I take to get home. He painted his crosshair grille black and it looks awful. I feel like leaving a can of Plasti-dip on his windshield...

Do it.....do it.....do it :D:

xlr_x
02-27-12, 02:37 PM
That will be coming soon. Any solutions that we KNOW for a FACT won't throw any codes or roughen up the road?
a lot of folks out there did the ( eibach cts-v coupe ) to there sedans cut the front bumpstops 1/8 and remove the black plastic cap
they have been driving there cars for a couple months with no codes or any problem this far

M5eater
02-27-12, 03:04 PM
Sell me your car. Now. Or else. The calipers are especially great!

I'm not going to Lie, a blacked out white diamond is probably the best looking V combination out there, and with the white calipers, yours is right at the top there.

Captain McFunk
02-27-12, 08:47 PM
How easy/hard is this to apply?

it's very easy to apply. Youtube it to see some application tips. The great thing about this is that it basically lays itself flat. You can not be the most even painted and it still lays down pretty even.

Sell me your car. Now. Or else. The calipers are especially great!

I'm not going to Lie, a blacked out white diamond is probably the best looking V combination out there, and with the white calipers, yours is right at the top there.

Thank you for the compliments. I've always owned black cars, so white is a big change, i saw a white/black combo on a Ferrari FF and I fell in love. It had white calipers, and that was it. White calipers, imo, look AMAZING behind black wheels.

M5eater
02-27-12, 09:00 PM
I don't want to sound like a kiss-ass, but your V with the white calipers may be my Ferrari FF. It's that good looking. Now go get some higher quality pictures!

Captain McFunk
02-27-12, 09:09 PM
I don't want to sound like a kiss-ass, but your V with the white calipers may be my Ferrari FF. It's that good looking. Now go get some higher quality pictures!

Oh absolutely I will be. I shoot in my spare time amateurishly. I like photography, but I don't have time to really get out there and dig in, here are some of my pictures from my past vehicle:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/96.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/92.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/73.jpg

qictrk
02-28-12, 12:09 AM
Great looking past car and I like the second picture. Nice contrast and good composition. Cecil...............

2012 CTS-V
03-03-12, 08:40 AM
This V looks awesome! I just got a white 4 door sedan last week and my calipers are silver, I want to do them in either yellow or blue but the guy said that the box next to the V logo on the calipers will still have silver in it. So, I'm thinking of having him paint over the V logo and then getting the Vinyl matte black "V" logos from you. Do you still have them?

Captain McFunk
03-03-12, 08:54 AM
This V looks awesome! I just got a white 4 door sedan last week and my calipers are silver, I want to do them in either yellow or blue but the guy said that the box next to the V logo on the calipers will still have silver in it. So, I'm thinking of having him paint over the V logo and then getting the Vinyl matte black "V" logos from you. Do you still have them?
That's exactly how I did it, and yes I do! Adpettit@gmail.com

SStreet King
03-03-12, 02:05 PM
Car looks amazing!! Congrats!

BOYCHIKS
03-07-12, 01:07 AM
Looks great! I love the white calipers, except keeping them clean..

DoingOK
03-08-12, 07:29 PM
Nicely done......must......not......buy......a.....can... ..of.....plastidip. I do need my grill done though.

thebigjimsho
03-08-12, 09:08 PM
Nicely done......must......not......buy......a.....can... ..of.....plastidip. I do need my grill done though.

Doit! Doit! Ghetto up that whip!

undertaker
03-08-12, 09:17 PM
I'm another victim of the ghetto'in

trim brited the window trim (of course I have a damn corner peeling back) and plastidipped the emblems and grill but need to do some touchup work, but I'll get around to that when I'm energetic, its good enough for now.

M5eater
03-09-12, 08:51 AM

I have a few extra cans. you wantz? I halp if you wantz!

Actually.. since I'm getting rid of the V. We *could* just swap the front grills. You could skip the whole day-long event thing, I could skip the peeling off thing and we'd be done inside an hour, or less.

Happy ending for everyone!

DoingOK
03-09-12, 09:12 AM
Hmmmm. Tempting. I'll be at Cars&Coffee tomorrow morning in Virginia Beach. I'd like to see how it looks in person. I had planned on having it professionally etched/painted.

TTuned
03-09-12, 10:49 AM
i really want to go black out grills, black out wheels. Just not ready to refinish a perfect set of HRE, or refinish brand new calipers in burnt orange (like STI and 350z brembo color) crazy about that color.

M5eater
03-09-12, 06:31 PM
Hmmmm. Tempting. I'll be at Cars&Coffee tomorrow morning in Virginia Beach. I'd like to see how it looks in person. I had planned on having it professionally etched/painted.

I'll see you there!

Drew'sZ
03-10-12, 11:11 AM
That looks great, the white calipers look amazing.

arniess
04-19-12, 01:28 AM
Love the white calipers. Did you have to do any prep work on them before painting? Such as light sanding, primer, etc? I've only painted bare calipers before.

Captain McFunk
04-20-12, 09:39 AM
Love the white calipers. Did you have to do any prep work on them before painting? Such as light sanding, primer, etc? I've only painted bare calipers before.

No sanding, just high temp primer, then paint, the logo, then clear!

JHC828
04-21-12, 10:42 PM
Car looks amazing man! What part of AR you from? I'm in NEA here (Jonesboro area). I always wanted a black V till I saw the white with all the blacked out trim like this, Perfection!

Captain McFunk
04-21-12, 11:05 PM
Car looks amazing man! What part of AR you from? I'm in NEA here (Jonesboro area). I always wanted a black V till I saw the white with all the blacked out trim like this, Perfection!

I'm in little rock, and thanks!

fortes89
04-23-12, 10:05 PM
nice car...Im planning to achieve a similar look, also do the calipers in white and blacking out the grill, i already have smoked taillights.... mine isn't a V though, just passed by to see some ideas, also thinking on doing the roof black.

thebigjimsho
04-24-12, 01:21 PM
I'm in little rock, and thanks!First burnout I did in my V2 was in Little Rock.

I find that Arkansas does not like to have anything open late night...even near the Interstate. I was driving my V back from San Antonio straight to NJ, and then home to MA. I stopped at 2 different exits with multiple gas stations and restaurants, with nothing open. Finally, in Little Rock, I stopped at a Valero right off the Interstate. I got in about 8 gallons. But some nasty looking dude who seemed to be drunk or high was yelling at the clerk. The clerk forced him out and I was ready for gunshots. I had enough gas to get out of Arkansas and I burned rubber out of there. It was about 4AM.

I got gas again in Memphis...

Airfoto
05-05-12, 07:45 AM
Most paints you need at least 70 degrees for them to set correctly!

ReaperV
05-19-12, 10:38 AM
Looks very, very nice. I might go this way with my sedan....

LV_V
05-24-12, 10:19 AM
Did you mask the inside of the side vents when plastidipping?

Captain McFunk
05-24-12, 11:09 AM
no, there is nothing behind them, as they're just stick on, so I just painted straight over them.

jojipoji
05-26-12, 09:03 AM
I'll take 2 sets of decals. Can you email me your PayPal. my email is jojipoji76@ yahoo dot com

Trapspeed
05-27-12, 07:24 AM
Looks really, really good. Nice combo. On a side note, where did you get those subdued "V" emblem decals on your windows?