: Serious Trouble Bleeding Clutch

GDPossehl
02-25-12, 01:03 PM
The car has an LS7 setup in it with a remote bleeder.

I installed it with a technician friend a couple months ago. We only bled it once (it was getting late). I've driven it like this without much trouble--just the usual trouble getting into first occasionally. More recently 2nd has been seeming to give a little "tooth" feedback when I shift. So I figured I'd get the rest of the air out since I've been procrastinating.

So I grab a female bleed partner and have her pump the pedal 15 times, then I crack the bleed screw into a cup, close, and have her bring the pedal up. Did this a few times and the pedal feel seemed to be getting worse. At some point in this there was a moment where she got confused and I had the bleed screw open, so she pulled the pedal back up (with the bleeder open..ah!). Since then it got even worse. There's almost no pedal feel and barely any fluid comes out. The pedal just slams to the floor with no resistance.

What are my options from here? I think I got air in my slave.

Note to self: Never bleed clutches with women

RADEoN
02-25-12, 03:01 PM
that's really not a big deal, and to be honest, with the remote bleeder you can do the clutch yourself.

1. Crack bleeder.
2. Top off fluid.
3. Let gravity bleed for a few minutes.
4. Top off fluid again.
5. Push clutch down.
6. Close bleeder.
7. Top off fluid.
8. Pump up clutch pedal (that female friend of yours can keep an eye on the fluid)
9. Repeat.

You can push down on the clutch pedal since it will stick to the floor, but do not pick back up on the pedal with the bleeder open.

GDPossehl
02-25-12, 03:21 PM
Ok, I've fed the remote line so that it's laying on the floor under the driver's door. With the pedal in the up position, bleeder is cracked, the res is full, and the cap is off. Is this how you're suggesting to gravity bleed?

RADEoN
02-25-12, 03:25 PM
yeah the air will seep out of the line, but it takes a very long time.

GDPossehl
02-25-12, 03:27 PM
Considering the two hour round trip to summit to pick up a motive power bleeder...

RADEoN
02-25-12, 03:51 PM
Just do what I said. You don't need to gravity bleed it entirely. Once you crack the bleeder and push down, and close it, no air will make it into the system.

PISNUOFF
02-25-12, 08:29 PM
I've never had any luck gravity bleeding. The method below has NEVER failed me.

Fill the reservoir, open bleeder, push pedal to floor, close bleeder, raise pedal. Repeat three times then refill the reservoir. Do this about three times and you will have flushed it out completely. It should only take you about 5 minutes tops after the car is raised and put on jack stands.

Also, it's normal to sometimes get a 'light' pedal after this. I've had it happen several times, just pump the pedal a bunch of times until it returns.

GDPossehl
02-26-12, 01:10 AM
So I finally got a hold of my buddy who installed the clutch with me. He said when we bled it initially that he took out the rubber piece inside the master cylinder. When I went to pull it out, it retained all of the clutch fluid and didn't drip at all. I'm guessing that it was clogged somehow and didn't let any fluid out. So when I was bleeding it before removal, it was sucking in air.. and lots of it.