: any way to retrofit XTS LCD cluster to ATS ?

nguyennhatquang
02-24-12, 10:59 PM
i saw the XTS site Build your own...
stardart version XTS has same cluster as the ATS.

so..i wonder are there anyway we can put the XTS LCD Cluster to the ATS....:bouncy:

i saw the GM service information site..they show up the Chevrolet but no section in there..
i think Vette C7 or another Lac will come soon..
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/ScreenShot2012-02-24at90010PM.png

LS3 MN6
02-24-12, 11:05 PM
It might work. They look like they package into the same space.

nguyennhatquang
02-25-12, 12:47 AM
so when the new car show up in service infomation..
i will provide the info in here and see who interest in retrofit project.

i have seen the Escalade with tapshift retrofit from the Hummer H2.
Every people know the +/- button in the big steering colume is hard to do manual mode..
if anyone interest in that. I can help. Provide info for free

JimmyH
02-26-12, 07:32 PM
Where there's a will (and $$$) there's a way.

thebigjimsho
02-26-12, 11:35 PM
How is it a retrofit when neither are available for sale yet?

nguyennhatquang
02-28-12, 07:30 PM
i do not sell anything...
i just interesting in mod and electronic..

i think...the most expensive part will the the Cluster...i guess no less than 1000$ because the SRX cluster is around 800$..
hope it will be plug and play..

because both car use CUE..same databus..same LAN..

if anyone mean the Escalade with tapshift from the Hummer H2..i remember less than 50$ from Ebay and only 1 wire to BCM.
very easy retrofit. it is USA car..Digital not Japanese Analog with a lot of wire..

thebigjimsho
03-01-12, 07:58 PM
If the XTS and ATS are not for sale yet, how is it a retrofit?

nguyennhatquang
03-02-12, 10:19 PM
i just give an idea when i see the build your own XTS
i just wonder anyone have same hobby as me :bouncy:

imak92
04-29-12, 04:05 AM
That cluster was my favourite thing about the ATS
or so I thought

I was wondering why I couldn't see it on the website
:( maybe they will have it like in the performance package

Orr u guys absolutely sure the LCD instrument pannel won't be there ??!!

If not I guess I would shed a 1000 for the LCD instrument pannel
That is if it doesn't ruin my warranty

Lol listen to me like I Already own it

grasshopper
07-04-12, 09:54 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this retrofit idea works. I love everything about the car...except the cluster! And since it's something I would have to look at every time I drive the car, it would keep me from buying the car. Dang it's ugly!

CaddyFanFL
07-10-12, 04:01 PM
If the XTS and ATS are not for sale yet, how is it a retrofit?

You have a point on the XTS - but on the MY13 ATS, every installed full LED cluster will be a retro-fit because it's simply not available as an option.:crying:

thebigjimsho
07-10-12, 05:50 PM
At that point, yes. But look at when the OP started this thread...

JimmyH
07-10-12, 05:53 PM
Are the instrument cluster shapes even the same? The cars will have different ECM, BCM; retrofitting a cluster from a different car is going to be a nightmare. Assuming it will even work at all.

CaddyFanFL
07-10-12, 07:02 PM
At that point, yes. But look at when the OP started this thread...

I noticed that - but I don't think it matters. Any MY13 ATS with a full LED-cluster is still going to be a "retro-fitted" one, so I guess this didn't change.

It only leaves the question how you define "retro-fit". I always define this term as something you can or could have gotten from the factory but added later on. So adding something that has never been available might not match that term perfectly.

TheCaptain
07-10-12, 11:15 PM
Well, here's hoping Cadillac gets their head on straight and offers the LCD cluster on the ATS. The car isn't complete without it imo.

CaddyFanFL
07-11-12, 09:19 AM
Well, here's hoping Cadillac gets their head on straight and offers the LCD cluster on the ATS. The car isn't complete without it imo.

I certainly agree on that. They should at least make it optional on the Premium.

bmw2caddy
07-11-12, 08:22 PM
Wonder if it'll be updated for year 2 or if they could still step it up and get the LCD cluster in the 1st year run. Would be awesome if they did. If not though I'd definitely be interested in retrofitting that cluster if it was possible.

LS3 MN6
07-30-12, 11:02 PM
Now that both cars are out there. Someone needs to try this.

nguyennhatquang
02-08-13, 11:25 PM
i found out the Connector P16 Intrument panel and the XTS and ATS is the same...
wiring is the same...
i just wonder about mechanical fit..which i believe it is possible..because the Regular cluster from XTS same as ATS.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/ScreenShot2013-02-08at92114PM_zps5341e2a2.png

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/ScreenShot2013-02-08at91639PM_zpse5c3d47b.png
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/ScreenShot2013-02-08at92148PM_zps03fd18d5.png

danscrim
02-08-13, 11:36 PM
Man i would loooooooove a 12.3" instrument cluster.

rustybear3
02-09-13, 12:36 AM
Man i would loooooooove a 12.3" instrument cluster.

I'm just the opposite..it's the one thing I disliked when I test drove the XTS. It's not all that bright in the daytime and I like the gauge lay out and the configuration of the ATS instrument cluster much better!! I'm a more traditional gauge type of guy anyways; and love the electronics built into the ATS instrument design. Cannot imagine anyone wanting to pay thousands to do it.....

danscrim
02-09-13, 09:11 AM
I'm just the opposite..it's the one thing I disliked when I test drove the XTS. It's not all that bright in the daytime and I like the gauge lay out and the configuration of the ATS instrument cluster much better!! I'm a more traditional gauge type of guy anyways; and love the electronics built into the ATS instrument design. Cannot imagine anyone wanting to pay thousands to do it.....

Hmm that's interesting. I've never actually driven an XTS with one... Just going by all the videos I saw. So that makes me feel better!

Hoosier Daddy
02-09-13, 01:37 PM
I don't know if I would do this, but yeah, I am really into this kind of stuff. But be aware that GM might build in road blocks if they think a mod might hurt sales of some model or trim level. No big deal but I figured out how to get get uplevel ford steering wheel controls to work in base cars. I found explicit steps (fortunately easily defeated) that Ford took to prevent this.

i just give an idea when i see the build your own XTS
i just wonder anyone have same hobby as me :bouncy:

nguyennhatquang
02-10-13, 12:17 AM
i don't think it will be much more complicated in the ATS because it will be plug and play..
when wiring is same mean it is the same...
connector same mean it is same too. The wiring diagram of both 5.7 inc lcd cluster and 12.3inc lcd cluster same which lead me to the base program is MAY BE same..and the software of gauge change should be inside the cluster.
i will try to find out when i program an XTS with 12.3 lcd cluster...and check the step...

i have did retrofit the 6l80E to Z06 corvette... it a lot quiet simple than i first thought..

the 12.3 inc have 2 or 3 cluster themes..i didn't remember correct how many one..but i love the red one in XTS..
it like a RACE car....Performance for Enthusiast...

i think GM is really screw up..most owner of the XTS is OLD..or Grand Pa..
and most of ATS's owner is young...how many old folk will play with the LCD cluster????? old folk like something simple..and easy...
Hi-tech is for young people..who like to spend times and playing with toy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xi4xKRVeWA

Wideband
02-10-13, 02:58 AM
and most of ATS's owner is young...how many old folk will play with the LCD cluster????? old folk like something simple..and easy...
Hi-tech is for young people..who like to spend times and playing with toy...]

Hey youngster - remember it was your elders that developed most of the tech that you are using!

Atswatcher
02-10-13, 03:21 AM
Hey youngster - remember it was your elders that developed most of the tech that you are using!

Well not necessarily true. A lot of the new techs are designed by young folks, even though their bosses may be older. I am no youngster, but I don't want to underestimate them.

There are older folks I know who are more into new techs than younger ones too. But CUE is clearly aimed at attracting more younger buyers.

blue_skies
02-10-13, 04:19 PM
i saw the XTS site Build your own...
stardart version XTS has same cluster as the ATS.

so..i wonder are there anyway we can put the XTS LCD Cluster to the ATS....:bouncy:

i saw the GM service information site..they show up the Chevrolet but no section in there..
i think Vette C7 or another Lac will come soon.

I am sure that you may be able too, eventually. But why would you want to?

----------

How is it a retrofit when neither are available for sale yet?

Wrecked XTS?

Wideband
02-11-13, 06:28 AM
Well not necessarily true. A lot of the new techs are designed by young folks, even though their bosses may be older. I am no youngster, but I don't want to underestimate them.

There are older folks I know who are more into new techs than younger ones too. But CUE is clearly aimed at attracting more younger buyers.

The base tech that I was referring to was - the computer, the Internet, cell phones, flat panel displays, satellites (GPS, satellite TV, satellite radio).

I agree that CUE is aimed at a younger driver but the base tech behind CUE was developed over 30 years ago and has been improved on by countless engineers since. I will give him that the younger ones have been on the leading edge of software development.

thebigjimsho
02-11-13, 03:44 PM
I am sure that you may be able too, eventually. But why would you want to?

----------

Wrecked XTS?

Check the time stamp.

grasshopper
02-15-13, 11:49 PM
I once had a dinner with one of the electrical engineer who worked on the ats ip cluster. As with many, I expressed my disappointment with the cluster especially after seeing the XTS configurable version. In my mind as I expressed to him, it makes more sense to fit the configurable unit in ATS...the car meant more for younger buyers...than XTS. It would definitely fit the character of the car as being the techno de force that CUE tries to be. I even mentioned that it is my least favorite part of the car and may even deter me from buying an ATS until perhaps a redesign in the future.

The answer was quite simple: smaller size of the ATS cluster didn't make the configurable LCD screen viable like in the XTS.

I wish they have looked at the manual gage/LCD cluster of the new C7. Manual gages are on the side and much bigger ...and has much for meaningful configurable...LCD screen...versus that tiny LCD strip currently on ATS. And the whole gage/LCD is much more stylish in C7...vs that of ho hum ATS unit.

nguyennhatquang
03-01-13, 01:18 AM
The answer was quite simple: smaller size of the ATS cluster didn't make the configurable LCD screen viable like in the XTS.

i don't think it is true..i have a Non LCD cluster from XTS..if u remove the frame out..it is the same thing with the ATS..
so i think the LCD will be same...in size...

the reason i think they won't do it in the ATS is because the new CTS will release...IF ATS have all the option the CTS has..who will buy CTS i not mean the V one....
and it keep the old lady XTS sell too.....

i think they will do same as German..3 series have most of option people need..but if u needs more..u need go 5...and in something 5 series won't see..u will see it in 7 series...

in 2003..MB won't sell C-class with Keyless go option..the option only on W209 CLK which is the same architecture with W203 C-class...
i know a lot of people who did retrofit the Keyless go to C-class because at that time..it is a COOL option..same as LCD cluster in CAR now..

Hoosier Daddy
03-01-13, 10:21 AM
i do not sell anything...
i just interesting in mod and electronic..
So, if successful, are you going to post how to do it?

As I said, I'm not interested in this particular mod (other than intellectually) but since you won't use the knowledge commercially, it could be frustrating for those that want it if they knew it could be done but couldn't pay to have it done (or do it themselves). I really like it when customers find ways to get what they want despite the best efforts by marketing and the bean counters to prevent it.

Good luck to you. I predict success.

JoshuaDav
03-01-13, 01:55 PM
Wow, I have to say my girlfriend's Dad has an XTS and the electronic cluster is the ONLY thing I would want in it, and maybe some of that interior illumination. If this became possible without destroying my warranty, or even if Cadillac offered it, I would throw my money at it without hesitation.

nguyennhatquang
03-02-13, 01:05 AM
So, if successful, are you going to post how to do it?

Sure..i will post the info and how to do it it when i can find a used Cluster from an XTS which is Full LCD one..

right now it is very hard to find a used one..especially in Vietnam..and try it..i don't know how much is the new one?

Hoosier Daddy
03-02-13, 09:27 AM
Sure..i will post the info and how to do it it when i can find a used Cluster from an XTS which is Full LCD one..

right now it is very hard to find a used one..especially in Vietnam..and try it..i don't know how much is the new one?
How hard are they to remove from an XTS? Does anyone rent XTSs there? Do rental agreements prohibit nondestructive acts such as temporarily removing trunk mats or clusters?

roadpie4u
05-02-13, 10:35 PM
Electrically, there's no reason the cluster won't work as both just live on the J1939 CAN network for all their information.

There's an easy way to get this answer once and for all. Look up the cluster part number for the base XTS and the ATS. If the cluster is the same GM part number than it has the same pinouts, the same mounting dimensions, and the same capacity. In that case, the only reason you couldn't just swap the cluster out for the LCD one would be the software GM has on the ATS. I don't know the software (yet, as the app store isn't out) but this is an interesting idea.

I'll call a few folks I know - they'll get an answer on this. If it can be done, I'll see what it'd take to do it in terms of labor and cost.

rustybear3
05-03-13, 08:07 AM
How hard are they to remove from an XTS? Does anyone rent XTSs there? Do rental agreements prohibit nondestructive acts such as temporarily removing trunk mats or clusters?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind you temporarily swapping out engines as well....

Rob D.
12-21-13, 06:17 PM
Does anyone have any updates or new info on this type of modification? I share sentiments of some others here about this being something that should be a factory option. It was one of the items that almost prevented me from getting my '14 ATS.

I would definitely be interested in making this modification. I think the 12.3 reconfigurable cluster is a truly Cadillac luxury feature that should be available throughout their range, just as CUE is available throughout the range.

rustybear3
12-21-13, 06:53 PM
I got to be honest....I test drove an XTS with it and hated it. It's gimmicky, adds nothing to the experience and is harder to see than a nice brightly, lit ATS dash. I would never opt for it it, let alone pay extra for it. The ATS cluster has plenty of options, is brightly lit and extremely functional as is.

donavo
12-21-13, 07:11 PM
I got to be honest....I test drove an XTS with it and hated it. It's gimmicky, adds nothing to the experience and is harder to see than a nice brightly, lit ATS dash. I would never opt for it it, let alone pay extra for it. The ATS cluster has plenty of options, is brightly lit and extremely functional as is.

You're right the ats one is functional and the XTs one is probably gimmicky. But Dam the ats gauge cluster looks ugly and dated. I'd say it's one of the ugliest clusters I've seen on a car Made within the last decade.

Stevo Supremo
12-21-13, 07:20 PM
I've heard that the LCD cluster will be an option on the ATS Vsport

Groomie
12-23-13, 01:08 AM
Hello

Don't know if this makes any sense. I had my instrument glass start to turn a smokey color and cadillac
had to replace. I asked could they replace with xts LCD and their reply was it was not possible at this time as they both come as one unit and have to be recalibrated and basically the whole instrument panel glass etc. Is all one piece. Then it had to be hooked up to a computer for two days to get everything back to
normal. All this just for a smokey instrument glass. I did ask what the warranty cost would be for. All
that was done and $4900 is what I was told the worked cost with material and labor. I did watch a little of the work and the instrument panel is one piece. So I would say its possible to the ats and xts being able to change. Although the electronic transfer of info could be tricky and expensive. Just and opinion though. Good luck with all you do.

mrlacy1
11-24-14, 11:15 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/562442-man-took-long-time-but-damn-3.html