: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2?

hanch04
02-22-12, 04:51 PM
I just picked up a 2010 CTS-V sedan a few weeks ago and am looking at replacing the tires. It has the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on there now and the previous owner installed the D3 suspension kit. It handles incredible. It is my daily driver and on Long Island we do get plenty of rain and snow throughout the year so I really prefer an all season tire rather than a summer only tire. (I do have a K3500 dually for any bad snow.) I hope to try and take the car to the track and have some fun but 90% of the time will be going to work, taking the family around, etc...

My questions are who is running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires? How much better does the PS2 handle over the A/S? Any recommendations for the A/S? What do I lose going to the A/S? Why is the PS2 so much more expensive if they are both Pilots Sports?

Info on the tires:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 , 20,000 miles warranty, 220AA rating, ~$480-$535 each (rear price)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 30,000 miles warranty, 500AA rating, ~$350 each (rear price)

The fact that the PS2 tires are significantly more expensive has me leaning towards the A/S tires. But they are both Michelin Pilot Sports so can I go wrong with the A/S? Iíve tried to search the forum for other tire threads and Iíve always been happy with Michelinís on my vehicles and would prefer to stick with them but I am open to other suggestions. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

thebigjimsho
02-22-12, 05:56 PM
Well, the PS2 does not move AT ALL in snow, so be forewarned. Now, depending on how hard you drive, you may like the A/S. Personally, I could not stand to have the fastest sedan on the planet compromised by all seasons. For the winter? Sure. But not year round. But you may not drive it that hard, so...

Personally, I drive a Town Car for a living and my V can sit as long as I need it to. I live in MA and should usually get more snow. These days, snow removal is so quick, I keep summer tires on and only drive it when the roads are clear. Even in bad winters, how often do you need all seasons? Now, many don't like the lack of grip in extreme cold but cold grip is still better than grip in the rain, so that doesn't bother me.

You could go with a cheaper tire like the Hankook evo V12 tires and look for cheap wheels and used snows. This time of year, I bet you'll see snow tires for cheaper...

Cub Cadet
02-22-12, 09:11 PM
I would suggest the Bridgestone 970 AS. This is an excellent tire for ALL seasons. I have to drive in snow and these tires saved me... they are actually better in the summer than my Michelins were. I highly recommend getting them since their wet/dry/snow/ice performance is very, very good. These tire made the car livable in northeast Ohio winters. For summer driving, there was nothing I had to give up for straight-line performance, or handling the curves.
Jim hates my guts, so be prepared for him to spew all kinds of nastiness about this.

thebigjimsho
02-22-12, 10:38 PM
Only if you spew misinformation.

baabootoo
02-24-12, 11:54 PM
Like was said, first you must decide how you will use your car. If you won't be hammering on the racetrack, get All Seasons and be done with it. Secondly, check Tire Racks ratings and go from there. The Continental DWS's are rated very high, and are very inexpensive. I use them in winter, they grip great in snow and are very nice tires and wear like steel.

thebigjimsho
02-25-12, 12:05 PM
Like was said, first you must decide how you will use your car. If you won't be hammering on the racetrack, get All Seasons and be done with it. Secondly, check Tire Racks ratings and go from there. The Continental DWS's are rated very high, and are very inexpensive. I use them in winter, they grip great in snow and are very nice tires and wear like steel.

I almost got the DWS last year as they are far and away the best performing tire in the snow of the UHP all seasons. It's a nice compromise of performance and snow traction.

That being said, I drive on Max Performance tires in MA year round because my V can stay in the garage when it snows. And since we've had about 6" this year, that was a good decision. Last year, my V sat a lot...