: GMPP: does it cover blown shock or defective flywheel?

Natedog
02-20-12, 08:59 PM
Seems the shock replacement is a mixed bag with some folks having it replaced under warranty and some not... My V is at Lindsay right now so i'm hoping for the best but does anyone know if a rattling clutch (due to a defective flywheel that apparently needs to be replaced) would be covered? The entire clutch assembly was replaced under the normal warranty about 20k miles ago

darkman
02-20-12, 09:11 PM
Well, I have not read your warranty but shocks and clutches are usually considered "consumable" components. The exceptions tend to be for obvious premature failure based on what are considered "normal" service lives.

trhs75
02-20-12, 09:16 PM
Hey, Nate!

I would expect the flywheel to be covered. They covered a blown front shock for me. Aren't GM repairs covered for the life of the car, too? Good luck!

Natedog
02-20-12, 10:46 PM
Hey, Nate!

I would expect the flywheel to be covered. They covered a blown front shock for me. Aren't GM repairs covered for the life of the car, too? Good luck!
Glad you got it taken care of... i'm just hoping to get something out of a roughly 2k extended warranty.. should find out soon enough

CadzillaTN
02-20-12, 10:56 PM
shock is a judgement call by the dealer. per the rules, no. If fe4, they might do it under goodwill, especially if you are close to the end of the warranty.

flywheel yes, I got mine done at the end of my warrranty. I believe it's considered separate from the clutch. Push the 'engine vibration' issue, usually the flywheel is the much cheaper way out.

You could always do a 5krpm clutch dump and get a new rear.

warranty repairs under gmpp are good for one year (even if anniversary is when you are out of warranty), and they'll only repair again once.

Crash-Override
02-21-12, 12:16 PM
Ive had my shocks replaced under GMPP, even though the issue wasnt resolved....still...shocks replaced.

I was almost laughed at when i asked about the flywheel since mine sounds like it is turning though gravel......oh well, clutch kit in my near future.

Natedog
02-21-12, 02:09 PM
Haha, so GMPP coverage i guess is just completely random cause turns out my shock will not be covered but the flywheel and labor is... the guys at Lindsay said my PP was looking pretty worn so i'm just having the entire LS7 assembly tossed in since they already have it apart and i won't have to pay for labor. Just as an fyi, the stock ls2 PP was going to be 580 to replace and the entire LS7 kit (FW, PP, and slave) is only 650 so pretty much a no brainer.

Anyone have a write up on how to replace a front shock?? and where's the best place to get one (it's FE4 btw)?

darkman
02-21-12, 04:09 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gcinstall/index.html

Natedog
02-21-12, 09:28 PM
Thanks darkman... anyone with a good place to get a replacement FE4? It appears like gmpartsdirect.com catalog has a front left and right 'struts' and also a shock absorber... either is roughly 90 bucks... no clue why two separate diagrams link to two separate components, but anyone know which one to go with, or a better site to get a Front Drivers side FE4 shock?

darkman
02-21-12, 09:52 PM
The struts and shock absorber on that website is one and the same part. The left and right units are, of course, interchangeable. Parts that I cannot get from Lindsay, I tend to get at Rock Auto. GMPartsdirect often charges more than the going rate for shipping, and if something is wrong with the order, they can be very difficult to deal with.

DDS rollin a CTS
02-28-12, 12:33 AM
I wish I were closer to Lindsay Cadillac. I asked my dealership if they'd put in different parts like an LS7 clutch and they said no. :( I did get a guy to say he wouldn't void my warranty on one thing if another was modded so I guess that's the best I can ask for.