: Love for the ATS Wagon

jmcgliss
02-20-12, 10:34 AM
First post: We're not CTS or ATS owners yet. Would love to see Cadillac produce the ATS wagon. Wondering how many more wagon fans appreciate the functionality of a sport wagon.

My wife and I will soon need to replace two Subaru Legacy GT wagons (5spd, AWD). The '05 also has a turbo, decent styling, with upgraded brakes and differentials from the STi. Cadillac has our attention with the CTS line-up, but the ATS would be a closer replacement in size and emphasis on performance.

Lord Cadillac
02-20-12, 11:59 AM
First post: We're not CTS or ATS owners yet. Would love to see Cadillac produce the ATS wagon. Wondering how many more wagon fans appreciate the functionality of a sport wagon.

My wife and I will soon need to replace two Subaru Legacy GT wagons (5spd, AWD). The '05 also has a turbo, decent styling, with upgraded brakes and differentials from the STi. Cadillac has our attention with the CTS line-up, but the ATS would be a closer replacement in size and emphasis on performance.

Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I think we could see a wagon for the first design refresh of the ATS - but nothing is set in stone. Are you interested at all in the sedan? If so, which one?

JimmyH
02-20-12, 01:53 PM
I for one, predict the ATS sportwagon will happen. I am going with 2015.

C&C
02-20-12, 03:48 PM
Wagons still carry a stigma (don't know why, I like them), and find a hard time in the market to make economic sense. That being said, kind of hope that Cadillac gives it a try, with the ATS. For people wanting a small Caddy (but need a trunk; I think the ATS (sedan) is only around 11 cubic feet), a wagon just might be the ticket.

jmcgliss
02-21-12, 12:05 PM
Certainly, we're encouraged by the CTS wagon and early reports that the ATS would have a wagon variant. The ATS sedan is cool also, but as a working bass player (and with other hobbies in the family) we need CUBE for large objects, and STYLE for hotel/country club gigs. I'm the nerd who once took a tape measure to the Chicago Auto Show, which proved to me that SUV's have much less useful cargo space than people think (per pound anyway).

What's interesting is that after GM's brief alliance with Fuji Industries/Subaru, the Malibu interior looks very much like our 2005 Legacy GT wagon. Subaru styling has again lost its way (2005-2010 Legacy's were not bad) so we're done with them, and pulling for an ATS wagon.

Having driven the CTS-V wagon at Autobahn raceway last year, we might consider a used one. New, the V sticker is outside our range.

JimmyH
02-21-12, 01:54 PM
which proved to me that SUV's have much less useful cargo space than people think (per pound anyway).

You have obviously never watched my wife load up her Enclave with with her Creative Memories crap. As much as I hate big SUVs, I have to admit she couldn't do it in anything less.

jmcgliss
02-21-12, 06:37 PM
You have obviously never watched my wife load up her Enclave with with her Creative Memories crap. As much as I hate big SUVs, I have to admit she couldn't do it in anything less.

OK fair enough. But, please do NOT post a photo. LOL. My SUV measurements revealed that the high load floor and bulk of the seats were limitations, whereas wagons had a taller hatch opening (at the time). Our '92 Astro van was the best for bringing home bales of attic insulation. At least now there is better engineering for folding third row seats into the floor. Lifting out the rear and middle Astro bench seats was a bear...and then you needed room in the garage to stow them.

Assuming our plywood and insulation days are over, we now look at cars like Fusion, Malibu, CTS and think "that would make a great wagon!" I'm not convinced buyers are adverse to wagons as much as lack of promotion and awareness results in self-fulfilling sales numbers. If there are no wagons available in our price range when we think abour trading, we just muddle along and keep ours longer. Perhaps the public has grown accustomed to not seeing wagons on dealer lots during the "year end blowout sales". And certainly the average consumer has been trained since 2001 to not buy a car until they see the promotion. What's left? Spend something on marketing ("exciting AND practical!") before assuming the customers are not there.

I'll stop pontificating now and explore the rest of the forum.

JimmyH
02-21-12, 07:00 PM
To be fair, I have forewarned her this is her last large CUV. She is going to have to learn space management like the rest of us. I am going to start getting her used to the idea of an Encore. And this is my last V8. Between her 17mpg and my 23 mpg, I am tired of spending $800/month on gas.

0AT E03
02-21-12, 07:59 PM
Wagons are dead as long as GM isn't serious about Europe.

The Chinese and us both prefer sedans with the coupe as the #1 alternative style.

The CTS Wagon we are lucky to have and it's left over from the aborted attempt to make inroads into Europe. If it had a diesel then I'd think OK.

Also you'll see a diesel in the ATS before a Wagon. If you are lucky there might be a Wagon at the MCE in 2017 or whenever it happens.

jmcgliss
02-22-12, 07:33 PM
That makes sense. Given some time, I am sure this thread will attract a hoard of believers demanding GM build more performance wagons. :(

Oh great....at this moment I am being taunted by a banner ad for a hideous Subaru Outback wagon (that is now bloated like a crossover). Please make it go away. :-)

0AT E03
02-22-12, 08:56 PM
GM has internally stated (and publically if you read between the lines) that GMNA gets no wagons because they want to sell crossovers.

Think about it

If I'm selling a Buick Encore and a Chevy Sonic SUV do I want a Cruze Hatch\Wagon or a Verano Hatch (which would be larger) -> No

If I'm selling a Chevrolet Equinox, a GMC Terrain, and a Buick version of that do I want a Regal Wagon or ATS Wagon (which again would be larger) to steal sales -> No

If I'm selling a Cadillac SRX, Chevrolet TrailBlazer (crossover version), and a GMC Acadia (now downsized to be the trailblazers brother) do I want a CTS Wagon to steal sales -> No

So basically GM's obsession with Crossovers will forever hamper larger Hatchbacks and Wagons in this market. Once they convince Europeans (with compact SUVs) that they no longer need wagons, the wagon body style will die. Sadly.

rand49er
02-22-12, 11:00 PM
... Oh great....at this moment I am being taunted by a banner ad for a hideous Subaru Outback wagon (that is now bloated like a crossover). Please make it go away. :-)Upgrade your membership here, and you won't have to subject yourself to such hideous banners.

And thanks for reminding me what I'm missing. :D